Just another Monty Python argument.... - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2003, 09:36 AM   #31
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you like the design process alone, I would go for doing something with small advantage.
In a commercial environment, which Mikek now claims to be working within, any design input (which by definition has a cost) has to have a tangible benefit in the final product, to therfore provide a perceived benefit over the competition.

In audio those benefits, in terms of circuitry, rather than aesthetic / mechanical design, ultimately have to be sonic benefits. Products are compared sonically by anyone who cares about music, since that's the only result that matters.

If Mike's amp doesn't sound any better for the the extra design input, one has to wonder why he keeps pushing the approach so heavily.

We're talking commercial reality here, not you and I experimenting on a bench for the fun of it

Andy.
Old 27th June 2003, 09:46 AM   #32
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

I cut myself into two pieces, one piece at work and the other one at home. At work most of the parts must have a proven benefit. Our customers are most of the time price sensitive soI can forget esoteric designs.

At home I can do whatever I like, useless or not.
Old 27th June 2003, 10:06 AM   #33
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jocko Homo
Yeah, I think that I missed the point, too.

Amps with gain in the output stage are a pain to stabilize. And most people know better than to make one. So what is the point?

Unless the point is that anything Prof. Cherry does is either impractical or just plain stupid.

Or both.

Jocko
I have now read the attached files and I am equally confused as Jocko. What is the big question or statement?

Is slew rate limiting normally a problem these days? Don't think so.
Old 27th June 2003, 02:06 PM   #34
Banned

Default Mark your calendars......

PerAnders and I are in agreement on several items today. Maybe we should give the good professor a "DIY tip-of-the-hat" to unifying so many of many of us who usually are on oppostie sides of the discussion. (Like the ones on gate dampers......)

We can all have a big group hug in the SinBin. Which is where this pompous rambling is heading.

So, professor.....we are going to ask again:

Just what is the point of this thread?

If it is to impress those of us who have built electronics for many years, well.......hate to tell you........we ain't impressed.

If it is to impress the newbies, sorry, I'm afraid you have failed there as they have no idea what the hell you are going on about. (Most of the rest of us included.)

OK......so now that you have made big coming out.....and we are all sooooooooo impressed, why don't you drop the pretentious, pompous posturing, and talk like a regular bloke.

Jocko
Old 27th June 2003, 03:11 PM   #35
Account Disabled

Default Re: Try again

Quote:
Originally posted by ALW

P.S. Mike, let us know who makes this wonderful amp, so we can all get a demo and hear for ourselves.

Quote:
Originally posted by ALW

Second question - who makes this wonder amp, so I can get a dem?

Andy.

Quote:
Originally posted by ALW
Mikek,

2. What is the make / model of the amp so we can judge for ourselves?

Andy.

Surely you know better than that..............have a firms product unfairly exposed to subjectivist and perforce, jaundiced and manifestly bogus 'scrutiny' thus???Never!
Old 27th June 2003, 03:13 PM   #36
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

Mike, if you don't agree on this I'll stop this yes-no war here.

ok...
Old 27th June 2003, 04:40 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Hey ALW,
You won't get an answer out of Mikek. Either because he's making it up OR because the company he is working for (if this yarn is true) has sworn him to secrecy. It wouldn't do their image much good for customers to know they get design advice from a librarian!
Old 27th June 2003, 05:29 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Hey Traderbam,

I’d appreciate it if you’d cease your denigration of the Librarian profession. A real Librarian is someone who has received a specific masters level education beyond the baccalaureate.
A competent librarian would never refer to an article without providing the article itself, or if there were copyright issues, the relevant subset under the ‘fair use’ provisos of national and international copyright laws.
You might feel free to take potshots at someone with this patently unfair characterization, but it only reflects your own lack of understanding. Certainly, like many other professions, the Librarian profession attracts their fair share of eccentrics, and I’m sorry if someone you assumed was a librarian scarred your youthful psyche…..
My wife is a research librarian and is a consummate professional.
Old 27th June 2003, 06:31 PM   #39
Banned

Default Dittos......

A buddy of mine is the bigwig at UCLA's Library School. She would kick my butt if I said something like that.

Well.....she would try........[joke].

No, I suspect that "our buddy" is a frustrated librarian wanna-be. Just as he appears to be a frustrated high-end designer wanna-be.

Which is a disservice to both professions.

Jocko
Old 27th June 2003, 06:47 PM   #40
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by pmkap
A real Librarian is someone who has received a specific masters level education beyond the baccalaureate.
My mom did 3 extra years of study to get her Master's in Library Science... as more & more info floods over us, it is an even more important disipline than in the past.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!