Just another Monty Python argument.... - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2003, 11:53 AM   #21
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Mike,

May I inquire, with no disrespect intended, why you go on so and clearly enjoy insulting people? What purpose? Do you prefer to make enemies than friends?

You have a good mind, why waste it with abuse and invective? You have been well educated, it seems, why not show some classical wisdom to balance it?

Now, please, get back to discussing what we are here for, improve the S/N ratio!

A question: explain, if you will, why a second order compensation scheme is so much better. I've tried it, and can't see benefits.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 26th June 2003, 09:10 PM   #22
Account Disabled

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Slew rate etc

Quote:
Originally posted by AKSA
Mike,

May I inquire, with no disrespect intended, why you go on so and clearly enjoy insulting people? What purpose? Do you prefer to make enemies than friends?

You have a good mind, why waste it with abuse and invective? You have been well educated, it seems, why not show some classical wisdom to balance it?
No Hugh.....i do not 'enjoy' insulting people.......

i just run out of patience with Mr Dieckmann, who confesses on the one hand that he is ignorant of the fact that the first two stages of an amplifier can be run in class-AB.......,

....and then proceedes, without flinching or blushing, to pour scorn on the source, (yours truly!), of his enlightenment on the subject.......ditto....traderbum.

It was for such as he that the word 'stupid' was invented...wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
Originally posted by AKSA

A question: explain, if you will, why a second order compensation scheme is so much better. I've tried it, and can't see benefits.

Cheers,

Hugh
if i knew the particulars of the system to which you applied the worthy, and the manner in which it was applied, i would be better placed to opine on your misfortune.

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

Interesting, I'm wonder if they have permission from Analog Devices because the design is proteced by a patent 5097223
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...amp;RS=5097223
Click the image to open in full size.

I beg to differ.....Alexander=current feedback.

marantz, & MCP=voltage feedback.
Old 26th June 2003, 11:04 PM   #23
diyAudio Retiree

Default not all voltage feed back.........

http://www.ampslab.com/bi300schema.htm

For the Bi300 R8 and R9 form a current feedback loop from the output of the amp (R18 and R19 node for reference) to the output pin of the op amp IC1. The output of the op amp is a low impedance in the open loop and closed loop and the current through R9 from amp output to op amp constitutes current feedback. This in addition to the voltage feedback loop of R10 R11 and R12 and the associated capacitors.

So it actually does have current feedback as well as voltage feedback.

http://www.intersil.com/data/an/AN9787.pdf

This ap notes is pretty basic and references some more detailed ap notes at the end.
Old 27th June 2003, 04:58 AM   #24
Banned

Default Needless gratuitous image......

"I pity the fool."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mr_t.jpg (58.0 KB, 267 views)
Old 27th June 2003, 06:36 AM   #25
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Interestingly Mikek has tried it it seems, it offers measurable benefits too, according to him, but absolutely no change in sound quality

One wonders if Mikek has any understanding of the raison d'etre for producing HiFi amplifiers

I mean, why bother if you can't hear the difference, short of some kind of engineering one-upmanship or something to add to the sales brochure. The only other reason I can think of is that the amp is so bad in other areas that it's performance is dominated by other errors that render the measurable improvements unheard.

It's quite reassuring actually, at least I now know that anything Mike posts with regards to amplifiers is unlikely to be of any use to me in my goals to produce better music at home.

Andy.

P.S. Mike, let us know who makes this wonderful amp, so we can all get a demo and hear for ourselves.
Old 27th June 2003, 06:47 AM   #26
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by ALW

Interestingly Mikek has tried it it seems, it offers measurable benefits too, according to him, but absolutely no change in sound quality

Hi ALW
..unless of course you can 'hear' the difference between program with 100ppm, and program with 10ppm THD+N at 20KHz???......
Old 27th June 2003, 06:50 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
unless of course you can 'hear' the difference between program with 100ppm, and program with 10ppm THD+N at 20KHz......
To be honest I WOULD expect to hear it.

Anyway, that's not the point, the point is why bother if you can' t hear it - the goal for HiFi amplifiers is to make them SOUND better, by your own admission you have failed in this goal.

Second question - who makes this wonder amp, so I can get a dem?

Andy.
Old 27th June 2003, 07:03 AM   #28
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by ALW

To be honest I WOULD expect to hear it.
Anyway, that's not the point, the point is why bother if you can' t hear it - the goal for HiFi amplifiers is to make them SOUND better, by your own admission you have failed in this goal.

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthrea...istening+tests
Old 27th June 2003, 08:30 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Try again

Mikek,

Stop trying to distract from the questions: -

1. Why bother to do something if you can't hear the improvement?

2. What is the make / model of the amp so we can judge for ourselves?

Andy.
Old 27th June 2003, 09:19 AM   #30
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Try again

Quote:
Originally posted by ALW
Mikek,

Stop trying to distract from the questions: -

1. Why bother to do something if you can't hear the improvement?

2. What is the make / model of the amp so we can judge for ourselves?

Andy.
This was a long thread. What was the issue really?

Andy, item 1: If you like the design process alone, I would go for doing something with small advantage. But you're right, why doing something if you don't get any results?

Hide this!Advertise here!