Possibly the worst assumption in audio electronics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The trouble is that we don't know much about the experiments or who did them. That is what really interests me.
There is some info in the google lecture I linked to before, starting at about 40 minutes in.

Thank you, interesting lecture! And it is exactly about a "Taboo" attitude we see in this particular topic. ;)

I think, Dean goes in the wrong direction: he tries to prove too much, also he tries to explain something. Sir Isaac Newton was much wiser, I believe: he clearly stated that he can not explain what gravitation is, but the world accepted his Law! All skeptics accepted it!
It was enough to present experimental data and empirically found formula of the 2'nd order. That's it! Nobody claims now, "Gravitation does not exist because nobody can explain it!".

Here is one more interesting link about similar phenomenon:

YouTube - RSA Animate - Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us

I've read enough Jung, Freud, R.D. Laing, Tim Leary, Ken Kesey, Pirsig, Edward de Bono, Fritz Perls, Ouspensky, Gurdjieff, Carlos Castaneda, L. Ron Hubbard et.al. to choke a horse.

I've dropped more trips than I can remember. I don't really trust anybody unless I know they've taken LSD, and come out the other side intact. One thing I do know, if you've been there often enough to know then you don't have a lot of time for a load of candy-assed hairsplitting.

I don't have any of these books on my shelves anymore. Not that there wasn't a lot worthwhile in them, but times move on.

Parapsychology was acceptable in the 50's and early 60's, but that was half a century ago, before there was any credible research. The Rhine research centre is over 70 years old.

Despite all the years of effort nothing substantial has ever been discovered. Not one reliable prophesy, one documented case of telepathy, teleportation, telekinesis, esp, to rival the most basic theories of science such as thermodynamics has ever come to light.

Where is the esp based TV? The prophetic news service? The teleporter? The telekinetic washing machine?

I have watched people who claimed to have seen UFOs dismantle themselves into incoherent wrecks in counselling. Better than Alfred Bester.

If you guys are finding things a bit dull, why not take some drugs? I can guarantee they do work, and, really, wouldn't it be better to enjoy a full-blown schizophrenic episode, get really detached from reality, instead of just piddling about with a mild dose of audiophilology?

w

John Lennon and Paul McCartney; said:
How does it feel to be
One of the beautiful people?
Now that you know who you are
What do you want to be?
And have you travelled very far?
Far as the eye can see.
How does it feel to be
How often have you been there?
Often enough to know.
What did you see, when you were there?
Nothing that doesn't show.
Baby you're a rich man,
Baby you're a rich man,
Baby you're a rich man too.
You keep all your money in a big brown bag inside a zoo.
What a thing to do.
Baby you're a rich man,
Baby you're a rich man,
How does it feel to be
Tuned to a natural E
Happy to be that way.
Now that you've found another key
What are you going to play?
Baby you're a rich man,
Baby you're a rich man,
You keep all your money in a big brown bag inside a zoo.
What a thing to do.
Baby you're a rich man...

Are you sure, about thermodynamics?

What is the main difference between dead and alive matter?

Kinda depends on what you mean. Matter, of itself, is neither dead nor alive. It just is.

If what yo ureally mean is dead or alive organisms ie things that have the capacity to be "alive" again it depends on the organism. A dead tree is considered dead for reasons quite different to a dead gerbil.

Kinda depends on what you mean. Matter, of itself, is neither dead nor alive. It just is.

If what yo ureally mean is dead or alive organisms ie things that have the capacity to be "alive" again it depends on the organism. A dead tree is considered dead for reasons quite different to a dead gerbil.

I mean, when the organism is alive it does not follow the main law of thermodynamics. When it does, it is already dead.

Dynamic equilibrium in the nature is very interesting phenomenon; nobody can explain it. But it does exist. Each cell, each organ, each system of organs, each organism, each population, the whole flora & fauna, everything in live nature is in dynamic equilibrium, and does not follow the Main Law of Thermodynamics.

@wavebourn - yeah, it does. Its just the linkages are incredibly complex and intertwined. As you rightly say, everything is linked to everything (ther beating of a buttfly's wing etc). At that leve lof complexity it LOOKS like magic, but that doesn't mean it is.

Not forgetting that the energy flows have to include hte input of the sun (ultimately the sole energy supply to the system) and hence, as abraxa points out, the system is not closed...

Last edited:
For a change, go pick up a book.

For a change? What do you know of my life? Yet another unsupported claim.

Start with the Feynman Lectures.

Actually I do already have those - but they're in electronic form so I can't physically pick them up.

There's no armchair philosophy, so you'll actually have to work at it.

So what is this 'armchair philosophy' that people don't have to work at? The kind of philosophy based on unsupported claims? I guess you're the expert then.:D

Come up with ONE example of something that violates the three laws and you're up for next year's Nobel.

Missing the point entirely, but that's fairly typical:D You obviously don't realise there'd a difference between 'do not apply' and 'are violated'. Better work a bit more on your English vocabulary...:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.