Possibly the worst assumption in audio electronics - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2010, 04:48 AM   #121
mach1 is offline mach1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I go for popcorn, SY will show us how polyethylene bag turns into a reproductive living cell, without help from any already live cell!
Just make sure he has his sleeves rolled up first
Old 13th August 2010, 05:00 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
Just make sure he has his sleeves rolled up first
As far as I know, SY always gives comprehensive explanations to support his claims.
Old 13th August 2010, 05:01 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

sing along now! "Oh you can't pass heat from the cooler to the hotter, you can try it if you like but you far better notta..."

Flanders and Swann
Old 13th August 2010, 07:57 AM   #124
mach1 is offline mach1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Midge Ure! - the thinking man's Simon Le Bon
I think Simon had the sultry downward glance totally perfected, but Midge’s wistful stare into the distance was something else.....
Old 13th August 2010, 11:34 AM   #125
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
sing along now! "Oh you can't pass heat from the cooler to the hotter, you can try it if you like but you far better notta..."
You win the prize for simple, succint, and correct. The trolls can read chapter 44 and 45 in the Feynman Lectures.

And my dear Russio-Californian friend can read about accessible chemical and evolutionary pathways in multiple sources, starting with Mayr. There are no cat-dogs, either. Here's one for you to consider, Anatoliy: there is no chemical or physical reaction ever found, not one, zip, nada, in a living organism that violates any of the chemical or physical laws that govern all other matter.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:48 AM   #126
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakibaki View Post
If you guys are finding things a bit dull, why not take some drugs? I can guarantee they do work, and, really, wouldn't it be better to enjoy a full-blown schizophrenic episode, get really detached from reality, instead of just piddling about with a mild dose of audiophilology?

w
Yes it would be better but I think these guys only enjoy small doses. Anyway, funny mixture: we've got the armchair philosopher, the science man, the sleepy man, the man who doesn't exist... and so on.

Glad to see this forum become alive, all those creative juices flowing...
Old 13th August 2010, 11:51 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker View Post
Anyway, funny mixture: we've got the armchair philosopher, the science man
You've got it a tad under-mixed - those 'two' are one and the same guy
Old 13th August 2010, 11:55 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
You win the prize for simple, succint, and correct. The trolls can read chapter 44 and 45 in the Feynman Lectures.

And my dear Russio-Californian friend can read about accessible chemical and evolutionary pathways in multiple sources, starting with Mayr. There are no cat-dogs, either. Here's one for you to consider, Anatoliy: there is no chemical or physical reaction ever found, not one, zip, nada, in a living organism that violates any of the chemical or physical laws that govern all other matter.
I believe that there are many books of explanations of how polyethylene can turn into a live reproductive cell, but can't you simply explain how it may start? Just for us, for Dummies!
Old 13th August 2010, 12:34 PM   #129
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I believe that there are many books of explanations of how polyethylene can turn into a live reproductive cell, but can't you simply explain how it may start? Just for us, for Dummies!
Given your initial condition ("without any help from a live cell"), I'd love to know the books you're talking about.

Given an organic soup (not polyethylene) and an energy input, there's lots of hypothesizing about how self organization may have led to the first reproducing cells, but that aspect of science is still a rich area for discovery, and the exact pathway that occurred on prebiotic Earth may well never be known with certainty. But maybe it will.

What is perfectly well established is the total lack of any biological process that violates the basic physical and chemical laws governing all matter. Maybe someone will find one someday, but despite the close examination of millions of these processes, it hasn't happened and that's not where I'd put my money.
Old 13th August 2010, 01:20 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker View Post
all those creative juices flowing
You skipped the toilet seat entrepeneur.

Hide this!Advertise here!