I built an expensive computer. It is unstable and has display artifacts.HELP!(vids)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your DMM will provide the actual readings, rather than software figures.
But do never go that far before being sure your main system is carrying the LATEST BIOS UPDATES! This is a primary requirement.
Also get RAM modules tested, preferably one at a time. A faulty RAM will drive you crazy by lots of means.
All the best,
Max.

Last edited:
Well the screenshots you posted look perfect so yes, it is a graphics card issue.

Does the situation get worse or better when you install graphics drivers?

What does the desktop look like in Safe Mode? Press F8 before Windows boots (keep pressing it till you get black screen) then boot into Windows. If that is also suffering screen corruption it is very bad news and the card has to be returned.

Basically it can't handle anything beyond 640x480, which is why the BIOS screens look fine and everything after that is mashed up (Win 7 boots with 1024x768 screen).

The system appears to be less stable after gfx drivers are installed. As far as normal desktop vs safe mode, they are equivalent with regards to artifacts. The system boots into safe mode more easily than booting to the desktop.

I removed 5 of my ddr3 modules, cleared the cmos, and began the gfx drivers installation. However, there appears to be no improvement as far as artifacts and the installation progress bar literally has not moved in the last 50 minutes. I don't remember it taking longer than 5 minutes when I previously installed gfx drivers.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm pretty sure the card is shot. If the nV driver makes thing worse and safe mode is not better than regular windows desktop, it's certainly a card memory corruption issue - it's also the only thing I know of that causes the screen to go all weird like yours.

You need to RMA the card, last I remember EVGA had a stellar replacement record, one of the best in the industry so you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Good Luck!

The reason the screens look perfect is because I was using the PrtScn function. I took photos with my droid which will show what the display looked like to me.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I also have a few videos running Sandra SiSoftware.

YouTube - ‪Sandra SiSoftware Computer Overview with Display Artifacts‬‎

YouTube - ‪Sandra SiSoftware burn-in with display artifacts‬‎

Reviews show this MB to be a bit buggy.
[clear_CMOS] and using min build ie 1 stick RAM, etc. Remove and re install all video drivers manually. After re Running tests, if noticing different symptoms update MB bios and repeat tests. Consider RMA MB and choosing another.

Thanks for the tip:D

I turned off the computer, turned off the power switch on the rear of the PSU, and removed the power cord. I then removed all of the DDR3 modules, except the module corresponding to DDR3_1 in Channel 0. I then plugged in the power cord, turned on the power switch on the rear of the PSU, and pressed the power button and cleared the CMOS.

Here is what the modified system looked like:

Here is a youtube video of what followed:

YouTube - ‪Uninstalling EVGA GFX drivers and then reinstalling EVGA GFX drivers with 1 module of DDR3‬‎

Upon startup, display artifacts were very significant. However, I did manage to boot into the desktop. I loaded the application "Driver Sweeper", clicked "Nvidia Display", and then clicked "clear" to remove all GPU drivers. After the drivers were removed, I rebooted the system. Upon startup, display artifacts were very significant. As soon as I reached the desktop, I loaded firefox and downloaded EVGAs drivers (I had been using these almost exclusively previously with no success). After the drivers downloaded, I attempted to install them. Display artifacts dominated the driver installation windows. In about 10-15 seconds, 40% of driver installation was complete. However the system appeared to freeze after it reached this point. After ~50 minutes (@12:27), no progress had been made on the installation.

Here are some photos of the installation screen.

I left my computer on and took a short nap. I woke up around 1:30 and still no progress had been made. Frustrated, I physically turned off the computer during the installation, switched off the power on the rear of the PSU, and removed the power cord. I then placed the extra 5 DDR3 modules back into the system, switched on the power on the rear of the PSU, put the power cord back into the PSU input, and pressed the power button.

Here is a youtube video of what followed:

YouTube - ‪Windows loads without artifacts‬‎

:spin::D:D:spin::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: To my surprise, the system loaded without ANY display artifacts. After entering the desktop, I noticed "GPU Observer" recognized my GPU. It said "GeForce GTX470" instead of "GPU not found". I then clicked on "EVGA OC Scanner" and it loaded! It ran for over 2 hours at 1024x768 without ANY artifacts! The GPU rose to 90*C and maintained that temperature for the duration of the session. Seems a little hot...

Here's a video of EVGA OC Scanner running:

YouTube - ‪System runs "EVGA OC Scanner" successfully‬‎

Any thoughts on what happened? What was actually wrong? Is it likely that my card is still corrupted? It has gone from having display artifacts to no display artifacts before. I guess the real test will be if it can run Sandra SiSoftware's GPGPU test and/or Crysis at very high settings.

My last post was premature. The system just crashed in Firefox. I had to physically turn off the computer. Upon restarting, I experienced significant display artifacts. I attempted to load "EVGA OC Scanner" and an error resulted.

The title of the error window reads:

"EVGA OC Scanner ERROR"

The text within the error window reads:

"Could not initialize ZoomGPU. EVGA OC Scanner startup failed. Bye!"

Last edited:
I spoke with EVGA technical support. They believe it may be a memory problem since I am using 2 kits and since OC Scanner was able to run for 2 hours without any artifacts. However, I am not sure since the topic related to PrtScn effectively narrowed it down to a graphics problem.

Any thoughts?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
To Thadman.

Post smaller resized screenshots, you post huge ones, the server does not resize before refresh, makes it difficult to view in enough resolutions and not all members have large BW ADSL subscriptions, makes it heavy to load for them. :cop:

To Thadman.

Post smaller resized screenshots, you post huge ones, the server does not resize before refresh, makes it difficult to view in enough resolutions and not all members have large BW ADSL subscriptions, makes it heavy to load for them. :cop:

no problem, sorry for the inconvenience.

I modified my memory timings in the BIOS (8-8-8-24-2) and increased the DDR voltage to 1.64V and the QPI voltage to 1.335V. General stability is greatly improved and the desktop no longer suffers from display artifacts. However, the system still always crashes (display artifacts are present) when attempting to run Crysis (1920x1200, High Settings, 0x AA). Am I asking too much from the GTX470?

Last edited:
If I may, Try Changing the sata cable of your sata drive, its power should be seprated from other connected devices like floopy or dvd,
then, Most Important Thing is try to install your vga card to the nearest pcie slot to the cpu.
not the second.
firefox crushed my system before on a bad sata cable, if you do not have cable try the dvd cable instead if its sata

I made a mistake earlier, I do not have Corsair XMS3. I have two kits of Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D, which is rated for 8-8-8-24-2 @ 1600MHz @ 1.65V.

I cleared my cmos and removed all of my DDR3, except for the module corresponding to DDR3_1 in Channel 0. I went into my BIOS and changed the default RAM timings from 8-8-8-20-2 to 8-8-8-24-2. I also upped the multiplier to 12 (133*12=~1600MHz), increased the DDR voltage to 1.640V, and increased the QPI voltage to 1.335V.

All other system settings are set to default.

I booted into the desktop without any display artifacts. I then attempted to run Crysis (1920x1200, High settings, 0x AA) and the system crashes. Display artifacts were present (even in the BIOS after reboot). However, if I enter the BIOS right after reboot and exit, the display artifacts are gone.:confused:

I cleared my cmos and used all the same settings, except I relaxed my RAM timings to 9-9-9-24-2. System crashes.

I then tried 8-8-8-24-2 timings with 8x and 10x memory multipliers. System crashes.

I then tried 9-9-9-24-2 timings with 8x and 10x memory multipliers. System crashes.

Here's a very short video showing the display artifacts in the BIOS after system crash. The artifacts are not static.

YouTube - ‪Display artifacts in BIOS after System crash‬‎

I will get memtest ASAP

The desktop just crashed. The screen became "checkered". I wasn't doing anything intensive. I transferred a ~40,000kb video of Crysis crashing from my Droid to my uploads folder. I began watching the video and the system crashed after 5 seconds.

I had to physically turn off the system since it was unresponsive. The system then crashed trying to load Windows 7.

Here are photos of the system attempting to load Windows 7 and ultimately crashing.

After the system crashed attempting to load Windows 7, I physically turned off the system and rebooted. Upon rebooting, there were no display artifacts and the system loaded Windows 7 without a problem.

All system settings are stock, except the RAM.

I have one Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator module in the DDR3_1 Channel 0 slot running at 1066MHz (base clock = 133MHz, memory multiplier = 8) with 9-9-9-24-2 timings. DDR voltage is set to 1.640V and QPI voltage is set to 1.335V.

Here is the video of Crysis crashing.

YouTube - ‪Crysis crashing on introduction scene‬‎

The errors at (0:15 - 0:22) and at :29 are from my Droid, not the system. The glitching at 1:00 - 1:03 is from my system. After Crysis crashes, the screen becomes corrupted. There are squares all over the screen. The color does not appear to be effected significantly. However, the video may not show these effects because it is very low resolution (max 480p, taken via droid and uploaded to youtube) compared to my monitor which is at 1920x1200.

Here is a video of me entering the BIOS after Crysis crashed.

YouTube - ‪Display artifacts in BIOS after system crashes running Crysis / viewing of system settings in BIOS‬‎

Notice the pixelated lines running across the screen where you enter the BIOS (they might not show up in the youtube video due to the poor capture quality of my droid and the small file size of the youtube video). Also notice the changing squares (multicolor) at the bottom center of the screen within the BIOS. I have no idea why there are flashing symbols (letters and sometimes numbers) in those squares.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Call EVGA and ask them to accept the card for RMA. Likely you won't even be able to start Memtest, given that the BIOS is acting up now. Worst case they'll test the card and if it works OK in their system you will be fine.

Dominators are absolutely fine, they operate at a more relaxed timing if the voltage is 1.5V. We were pretty worried when we used it due to the 1.65V, but the system booted and ran just fine until we jacked it back up.

I doubt it's a memory problem - that usually results in blue screens and error messages from applications, but your green tablecloth is certainly the card or something on it (or even the PCI-E slot of the motherboard).

If I may, Try Changing the sata cable of your sata drive, its power should be seprated from other connected devices like floopy or dvd,
then, Most Important Thing is try to install your vga card to the nearest pcie slot to the cpu.
not the second.
firefox crushed my system before on a bad sata cable, if you do not have cable try the dvd cable instead if its sata

I've previously tried every PCI-E slot with the GTX470. The system still crashes. However, I have not tried it with 1 module of RAM.

I'll also try the SATA cable and report back. Thanks for the tips:)

Call EVGA and ask them to accept the card for RMA. Likely you won't even be able to start Memtest, given that the BIOS is acting up now. Worst case they'll test the card and if it works OK in their system you will be fine.

I spoke with EVGA technical support. They will accept the card for RMA, I just have to pay shipping. However, he did not think the graphics card was faulty considering I was able to run "EVGA OC Scanner" for 2 hours at 1024x768 without any artifacts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.