stupid things we've done

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
George was unlucky, not stupid.
No visual burn marks sounds like lucky after bad luck.

(burning plastic makes nice marks on legs, as do bullet holes)

Attachments

• Burnbaby.jpg
    Burnbaby.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 429
Well I'm remarking mostly on the spectacular nature of the event rather the decision making that led to it. In retrospect, however, placing a gas can across the terminals of a car battery was not a real savvy move. It would have caused havoc full or empty.

Thinking back, I'm surprised that I survived grad school, considering the huge number of nasty chemicals and other hazardous stuff used routinely in the lab. A list - pressurized fluorine, pressurized chlorine, HF gas, liquid HCN, ozone, phosgene, toxic laser dyes dissolved in methylene chloride, loads of high voltage, 5kpsi helium, mercury halides, etc. None of us were given any formal schooling in handling hazardous materials other than some word of mouth instructions that got passed down and what we could glean from the Matheson gas manual. We were lucky, I guess.

a NOT stupid thing

Sure, my Montmartre hotelroom was FF110 a night with a cabinet de bidet or FF160 for one with a real bathroom back then, so affordable that i still remember the rates today.
Because it was cheap i was there so often, ON love with the g/f.

The people i know in Paris live in the banlieus, affordable and quiet.
During my last stay i had a 5-star hotel on the other side of the peripherique, in the corporate office area of Saint Denis, much cheaper than at the Champs Elysees and very much quieter.
Underground private parking, and less than 10 minutes to the city center with the metro.

Last edited:
George was unlucky, not stupid.

No, I would tend to agree with the wrench man. Stupid and lucky. If you are a bit older, look back to when you were 18. We were all STUPID. Two of my friends managed to kill themselves before graduating HS. They were stupid and unlucky. I made it to 57 (so far) so that qualifies for stupid and lucky.

As we age we should be continuously learning from our successes, our mistakes and those of others. Those who fail to learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them....until Murphy wins!

Setting yourself on fire is stupid. Running while on fire is stupid. Having a lake nearby.....priceless....and lucky. I learned to have a great respect for fire and gasoline. Later in life I had to loose a bit of hair to relearn a lesson about fire and WD40 (and the butane propelant used in the can after Freon was banned) but that is a different story.

I have been playing with electricity, cars, guns, and other dangerous things for most of my life. Of course there are stories of stupid things. Putting a .22 cal rifle bullet in a vise and squeezing it IS a stupid thing. There are more. But I wouldn't do these things today.....I have learned....and lived, and became a bit less stupid for the experience.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
If it did it wouldn't have been stupid. Marrying the wrong person it isn't stupid though: it's normal. Have to say most of the stupid things I did in life were also fun. Getting wiser has its good sides but it's also pretty boring. I'm getting so wise that everyday I do less, if I continue this way shortly I wouldn't feel like doing nothing at all. Food and shelter are secured so why bother?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Marrying the wrong person isn't stupid though: it's normal.

That really is the quote of the day ! Thank God for your realistic view on matters.

Age has its matters and I agree fully that I also look back at some of my mistakes with a smile on my face.

Like driving into Germany on one moped with a friend without any identification as my mum hid it because she thought I would run away. We planned to go out in a famous discotheque in Germany that we heard of.

Got caught at the border when we tried to pass it by simply keep on driving (do you hear the siren of the german border control ?), had to buy a special identification card with finger prints after a thorough explanation and a thorough investigation of the "vehicle", got some fines for having too much power ( it ran 110 km/hour) and crossing the border without passport. Strangely they let us go after I paid the fines and got the identication card. Then drove on the Autobahn ( highway) for a very long time with that moped full throttle to arrive at the discotheque we wanted to visit to discover it was closed. Bummer.

No petrol with 2 stroke oil (so called 2 stroke mixture) available as mopeds were not supposed to drive on highways so we had to fix that too by buying 2 stroke oil in villages and we poured that in the tank. Problem solved. Guy at the back only singing with a walkman under his helmet the whole trip.

We then went to another city to visit the girls we met here when they were here for holidays and we could sleep over but then their dad came home, got angry and threw us out at 23.00 or so. No hotel available we could pay for.

So we slept in a park with our legs through the wheels to avoid the moped getting stolen. Lots of drunk people passing by and little sleep. Woke up early in the morning to find out we were at a roundabout kind of thing with cars all over :D

Last edited:
I am still one of those young and reckless twenty-something guys :D So, I am allowed to commit any error and being automatically forgiven. "I don't knew what I was doing...".
Being younger was even easier: to get late at home, to cheat on my GF, and other mistakes easily explained because of irresponsability.

Jean-paul, last summer me and a couple of friends did something like you. We went to the east coast of spain by bus and then, we got no place to sleep. So we used the abundant parks that were there and used the public toilets of the bus station for personal hygiene purposes :p Having a "shower" directly from the tap never felt so good hahaha.
We were there for 3 days, so it was not a hard experience. At least, we only had to care about our bags.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Never ever cheat on your GF as your GF will cheat on you :)

Ah, shower directly from the tap after feeling wasted in the morning just because not having slept by all the noises in the night. Then a nice fresh breakfast when the city wakes up at a terrace with a good coffee at hand. I miss that but only sometimes.

Enjoy your life !

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Got caught at the border

LOL, I just remembered one of the funniest holidays of my life. I lost all my papers in Amsterdam (too stoned) but as I thought I didn't need them to travel to Germany (EU member) continued my trip riding on my 400 cc Suzuki to Berlin. Once there I went to the Spanish embassy but there was a huge queue (it was August) so I said f... it and continued my trip to Prague. This time there was border police so I did a little bit of country motocross. Too bad as my motorbike wasn't designed for bumpy dirt trails and the suspension got broken. I left my motorbike behind and bought a second hand bike at some Czech village. In Prague I was again visiting a Spanish embassy, this time the queue wasn't a mile long but they told me they couldn't give me another passport instead they gave me some paper with a stamp on it - they said it was OK to cross the Austrian border with it. An Austrian, Schwarzenegger type, border policeman wasn't too convinced so he told me I had to go back to Prague. This time was the turn for some mountain bike trip but I got caught when buying fruit at some Austrian village. Too much mud on my shoes! In the end I was deported to Madrid by plane. Once in Madrid I threw away what was left of the LSD strip I bought in Amsterdam. Back to normal life.

ahhhhhh Amsterdam....
I'm going there this friday, hope me and my friend will have no big troubles around there. Specially with these crazy and imprudent bicycle riders.

We will rent some mountain bikes, so it will be easy to climb above them :D

Will try to manage to get deported to Madrid too. I would like to save some money in the returning flight.

Regards,
Regi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.