Police not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soccer violence comes to Texas:

"Around 3 a.m, police said, Rojasbahena opened fire and shot Raul Santoyo, 17, and Lewis Santoyo, 27, dead before wounding himself in the leg. The Dallas Morning News reports that Rojasbahena is being held on capital murder charges in Dallas.

It's not clear which rivalry set off the violence, but Sunday's matchups included Argentina against Mexico and England against Germany. Dallas police could not immediately be reached for comment today."

Rojasbahena sounds German to me.

John

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
"Rojasbahena" is not a German name and I think you know that. I am not an expert but I would say it is a Hispanic/Mexican name. I don't see the connection between nationality and what has happened as violence can burst out for any dumb reason between any nationality certainly when alcohol is involved. This counts especially in countries where guns are normal in civilian homes which itself multiplies violence from fire arms a few times. Some people also support other countries teams, most often as their own countries team has lost and left the arena. If your own country is out you just choose another good playing team. In Europe that is often one of the neighboring countries.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
If USA had hooligans they would need to change gun laws. There's no real passion there for sports: it's mostly an entertainment. Europe is different but South America is the worst. A Colombian soccer player was murdered only because he played a bad game.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics

Aha, there is a connection (there should be) with having fire arms at home:

Switzerland

Main article: Gun politics in Switzerland

Switzerland practices universal conscription, which requires that all able-bodied male citizens keep fully-automatic firearms at home in case of a call-up. Every male between the ages of 20 and 34 is considered a candidate for conscription into the military, and following a brief period of active duty will commonly be enrolled in the militia until age or an inability to serve ends his service obligation. During their enrollment in the armed forces, these men are required to keep their government-issued selective fire combat rifles and semi-automatic handguns in their homes. Up until September 2007, soldiers also received 50 rounds of government-issued ammunition in a sealed box for storage at home. In addition to these official weapons, Swiss citizens are allowed to purchase surplus-to-inventory combat rifles, and shooting is a popular sport in all the Swiss cantons. However Swiss gun laws are still stricter than in the US. Unlicensed persons are not permitted to carry weapons except under special certain circumstances such as travel to military training. Owners are legally responsible for third party access and usage of their weapons. Licensure is similar to other Germanic countries.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi, my kids both have one that was given for free by the post office. They never tried them but today when The Netherlands - Slovakia was on TV they wanted to blow the vuvuzela. They asked how it works and I recalled hearing on the radio that a "pfff" sound should be made with vibrating lips.

I should give the example how it works so I just did what I heard on the radio... I was shocked by the terrible noise coming from the things at close range. God, what an awful loud sound.

Since they both learned from me how they work they thanked me by blowing their vuvuzelas for half an hour :crazy:

Last edited:
Total gun related death rate:
Switzerland 6.40
Scotland 0.58
Engl'd&Wales 0.38
USA 11.66

Intereting. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate:

Intentional Homicide Rates (per 100k) for same:
Switzerland = 1.01
Scotland = NA
UK = 1.49
USA = 5.4

Europe = 5.4
East Europe = 8.1
North America = 6.5
South America = 25.9

Units are the same as Mr. Darwin's list. Does that mean that firearms training in Switzerland could use some attention? It seems to me that guns don't kill people...people do. And, if a criminal or soon-to-be criminal is looking to shoot someone, perhaps they are not going to go through legal paths and waiting periods to get the weapon. Waiting periods do have their place in preventing crimes of passion and other rash decisions.

Off the box...

Really. Just check the crime rates of such countries with those that forbid fire arms in civilian hands. Enough said. BTW I am not connected to the NRA in any way.
There are many different types of crime rates, so are you talking about gun crimes, violent crimes involving other weapons, like cars, knife, machete, clubs or pipes, rocks. FYI The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000.[4] The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides, Gun violence in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .. I’m not a NRA member either, just a retired Law enforcement officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.