Scariest Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was driving up to a job interview today up the main St of our town when it started pouring rain even harder than it had been. It looked like actual sheets of rain were coming down and then I noticed the sky was purple. I pulled out to pass another car when I saw brake lights up ahead, then there were small branches on the road, I looked to see what the people ahead were stopping for and there were downed powerlines and more of them were falling over.
Then I looked up and saw debris and hugh chunks of buildings swirling in the air, a tornado was crossing the street 100 feet ahead of me. I thought holy sh#! what the hell so I pulled a U-ey went up on to the lawns of a couple of businesses ,hopped the curb back onto the street and pulled into the parking lot of a little strip mall next driveway down.
I swerved into a tight alley that was at the end of the mall and stopped.
Some guy had his head out the side door but ducked in when he saw what was coming. Then the wind hit and blew over the trees that were 10 feet ahead of me just out of the alley and there was all sorts of crap flying around.
I kept checking ahead and behind me to make sure this sh#! wasn't going to crash thru my car and kill me. I barely had enough time to call the wife and scream for her to get in the bsm't with the kids just in case the tornado decided to head that way. Then as quickly as it came I could see it going east away from me carrying all sorts of crap away.
I backked out and there was wreckage everywhere.I couldn't get up the street so I had to detour around the city to get to the interview but I made it(10 minutes late) and got the job. I feel sorry for the people whose homes and businesses were destroyed.
But that WAS the scariest moment of my life!!!!

I guess Tornado Alley is moving north with global warning...

Dave, it's no longer called "global warming." In order to cover all bets, the proper term these days is "global climate change."

My own first encounter with tornadoes was in Wisconsin, maybe 25 years ago. All I kept thinking of was the Wizard of Oz. Scary stuff for sure. Even scarier here in central Texas, where there are no cellars for shelter.

While vacationing in Greece...many years ago, I decided to get into a kayak and paddle out into the ocean. I went a good ways out, but nothing I considered WAY out. The waters were crystal clear. You could see down deep. I could see fishes swimming all around. Didn't think much of it. After a while, a motor boat came close to me and the person on board was waving at me. I waved back...and kept going. Then they came even closer and started shouting something. It wasn't till they came right up to me that I could finally hear what they were saying. Those little fishies just happen to be SHARKS! They threw me a rope and pulled my goofy butt back to shore. "Here fishy fishy...aww look how cute!":eek:

That was scary.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave, it's no longer called "global warming." In order to cover all bets, the proper term these days is "global climate change."

Much better term... a fellow i know was giving it to me saying that an ice-age for Europe was predicted and that proved global warning couldn't be happening... i dug a but further and found that if the polar ice caps melt, all the cold water flows into the Atlantic, the gulf stream goes away, and the English need to learn to build igloos.

dave

Much better term... a fellow i know was giving it to me saying that an ice-age for Europe was predicted and that proved global warning couldn't be happening... i dug a but further and found that if the polar ice caps melt, all the cold water flows into the Atlantic, the gulf stream goes away, and the English need to learn to build igloos.

That's a good one. People that live in low lying areas should be more concerned about the raising sea levels.

Jeff

Yes, must cover all bets now. Tornados up in the Great White, Freezing in Texas
and Florida.
So anybody hear about the Algore speech in which he was in front of a class of
engineering students (I think it was in Seattle) and he tried to explain that the
reason why it was so cold so far south this year was "Well, as you know, heat rises
and cold sinks, so that's why all that cold is sinking south." ?

engineering students (I think it was in Seattle) and he tried to explain that the
reason why it was so cold so far south this year was "Well, as you know, heat rises and cold sinks, so that's why all that cold is sinking south." ?

I can't seem to find that quote. However, there's no shortage of great Al Gore quotes here: Al Gore A "Crazed Sex Poodle?" - June 24, 2010

Yes, must cover all bets now. Tornados up in the Great White, Freezing in Texas
and Florida.
reason why it was so cold so far south this year was "Well, as you know, heat rises
and cold sinks, so that's why all that cold is sinking south." ?

Don't matter when it's all coated in oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.