What else can I build with tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

I have posted this here as it is not really audio.

I have now built 3 HiFi amplifiers and 2 guitar amplifiers. My wife tells me we have enough amplifiers. This doesn't sound correct to me, but assuming that she is right, what else can I build with tubes?

I was thinking of a valve tester or even a tube radio receiver/transmitter (although I have been reliably informed that this is quite an undertaking). Any thoughts, I need a new project.

Cheers,

Rob

You can build almost anything electronic using tubes. Try building test equipment, like a signal generator (audio or rf), a VTVM, a signal tracer, short wave receiver (not a transmitter unless you are licensed), impedance bridge, audio voltmeter. The list goes on and on.

If you have a transmitting license, tubes remain a sensible option for a high-power transmitter, but I guess that if you were qualified, you would know this anyway.

Building a receiver is not as daunting as you might imagine. Here's a 2-tube regen rx that will pull in AM stations worldwide and will also get SSB and CW if you can read morse.

Multi Band Regenerative Receiver (Vacuum Tube)

If you google '2 tube receiver' ypu'll find a superhet and a number of others too.

w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.