Language/culture question/survey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
kelticwizard said:
Moamps:

I have read several of your posts and I think your English is perfectly fine.

Also, if you re-read SY's post I think you will realize that SY was trying to say that he is willing to make allowances for people who do not speak English as their native language. He merely used Croatian as an example-it could have been any language. It is the people who are born in English speaking countries who speak badly who bother him. SY was not trying to put down Croatian speakers at all. :)

Bok Kelticwizard,

you've been very kind about my English.

I think SY understood what I meant. I wasn't implying that he tried to put Croatian speakers down, merely adding my twopence about the topic and sharing my personal experience. Actually, I was quite pleased to read that he had not a little admiration for the likes of me :nod:

Bok

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I'm impressed It's 'Dovidjenja', though. Preping up for that revisit, aren't we

Never trust software... :(

And I'm very impressed with your memory, SY.
Indeed you are correct, I always like to prepare a little before travelling although it won't happen this year yet.

If ever you and you're family visit Belgium, drop me a line.
I'd be honoured to show you around and give tips on places to visit.

Cheers,;)

German Sie = Ni (you) in swedish
German Du = Du (you, if you know the person) in Swedish

We skipped (the swedes) the Sie/Ni thing 30 years ago. I get almost affended if some younger gentleman talk to me with "ni". For most people it's very natural to use the first name. We don't either use titles like Professor, Diplom Ingenjör, etc.

But... I get a little bugged when sales people (which I don't know) call me Per-Anders a little too fast and too often. I don't mind when they "du" me.

Germans, am I right about you, du-ing is a no-no? I visited Austria and they were very much like us. I was Herbert the boss and Heinz with the programmer. OK, everybody called him Herbert because we were a gang from Italy, Greece, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Germany and Sweden and all expect for the german people (the boss, not the younger man) used the first name of everybody, "high" as "low"

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Please, tell me you meant lil ole me, not SY

Errrr...deeply embarassed Frank desperately needs a pair of reading glasses...

You see your English is sooo good that you actually tricked me into mistaking you for SY.;)

Oh, BTW, the welcome to my country and my offering guidance and whatever is of course open to any of you.

While were into languages, I often find myself in doubt whether to use that or who in cases like this:

It is the people who are born in English speaking countries who speak badly who bother him.

Personally I would have replaced "who" by "that" here...is there a rule on this or are both accepted?

Sorry KW for borrowing your scribblings...hope you don't mind.

But... I get a little bugged when sales people (wich I don't know) call me Per-Anders a little but too fast and too often. I don't mind when they "du" me.

Same here. Must be our age and/or our education, Per-Anders.

Germans, am I right about you, du-ing is a no-no?

Include the French and the french and german speaking part of Belgium too.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.