The smell of vintage electronics - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2010, 09:12 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

OK, old dudes!
If you love this stuff so much get yourselves to Bellingham WA, they have the most amazing collection of vintage electronics. Worth a day of exploring (American Museum of Radio & Electricity ). On a recent visit the curators gave us a grand tour! Thanks!
Another place to drool is in Mexico City, I forget the name and exact location somewhere NW of the Palacio Nacional, part of the university. Dedicated to 100+ year old transmitters, rail/ship communications, telegraphy and testgear. If you find it let me know, I need to go back!
Old 24th April 2011, 03:22 AM   #22
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpoke View Post
Every morning when I open my office door, I take a deep breath in and enjoy the wonderful aroma of vintage electronics. It's just dawned on me however, that I don't actually know what that smell is ... and whether it may actually be doing me harm as I sit in my office all day with a dozen or so vintage amps and tuners.

I can definitely smell it every morning when I walk into my office though, quite pleasant and unseemingly dangerous ... BUT WHAT IS IT I CAN SMELL?!?

(These are all solid state components built in the seventies, Sansui, Mitsubishi, Dynaco etc., nothing older than early seventies and nothing newer than early eighties.)
Kewl I have more than a dozen of these stuffs. What can I say, I didn't smell anything... I think my ears are a lot better than my nose...

Wait, I will check my amps from that era...

Sheet, I couldn't smell anything!
Old 24th April 2011, 04:37 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I like the smell of burning carbon comp resisters, weird huh, Must be from working on old tube stuf for over 30 years, Bernie vintageelectronics.net
Old 24th April 2011, 05:12 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Dust, nicotine, formaldehyde, phenolic boards and phenolic resistors......and pcb's exuding out of capacitors.

Eric.
Old 24th April 2011, 01:37 PM   #25
just another
diyAudio Moderator

It's funny just reading the title of this thread triggered a memory of vintage electronics, though for me it was old valve TV sets and the smell of the waxy capacitors they had in them.

Tony.
Old 24th April 2011, 01:52 PM   #26
lowpoke is offline lowpoke  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to lowpoke
I don't think I could stomach the smell of old nicotine ... thankfully all my vintage pieces have been surprisingly clean inside. In fact I've had my office computer open a couple times and I think that had more crap inside it!
Old 25th April 2011, 01:49 AM   #27
eyoung is offline eyoung  United States
diyAudio Member

Nothing like the smell of an old Hallicrafter rig dust burning on a 5U4 and phenolic resins wafting in the air, oh and a half o' pack of winstons mingling in the mix. Don't forget the coffee pot smoking in the back.

I miss my Dad...

E
Old 25th April 2011, 02:07 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBM_dude View Post
LOL!

.....phenol is....mutagenic.
Mutagenic????

Does this mean your children will grow up to be silent street performers in Paris?????
Old 25th April 2011, 02:11 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

I have a class d amp that was running with a pwoer inductor at 120 degrees C
smell wonderful !
Old 25th April 2011, 02:40 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

I purchased an Eico signal generator at a flea a few months back - $0.99 - when I started dis-assembling the unit the aroma brought me back several decades.

Also found a role of Kester solder -- couldn't have been that old since it had a zip code on it! I used it soldering up a preamp with 20EZ7's -- the smell was, as Yogi Bera said "Deja vu all over again."

Hide this!Advertise here!