Be Careful people! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2010, 09:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Thumbs down Be Careful people!

A pair of guys pulls you aside. They're amped up because they just have to get rid of some high end electronics. The crew says they put audio systems in expensive home cinemas, but Problem Rob Wolchek is putting them in the Hall of Shame.

They say you can't buy these brands at Best Buy and they're right. However, you might be able to buy them in the Best Buy parking lot or the parking lots at Meijer or Wendy's because that's where they sell them
I have seen these guys in New York. Do not buy this crab The speakers are MSRP $3000 but in reality they get them for $90 (crab). Just google it ,they are over the news now.
Old 31st March 2010, 09:59 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Classic white van scam, been going on for 30 years now. I've even had it happen to me here in the UK. I laughed to myself that they thought I would fall for their ****.

Last edited by richie00boy; 31st March 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:01 PM   #3
badman is online now badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default "White Van Speakers"

It's a fairly well known scam. A quick inspection would have most of the people here leaving with a chuckle.

There are a few ways to mess with the scammers. Ask them to play them for you, from the van. Waste some of their time. Play around. Tell them you're getting cash but call the cops and tell them there are scammers at XYZ instead.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:02 PM   #4
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

The best story still comes from a coworker who bought a brand new shrink wrapped camcorder from someone on the street, only to find a freshly boxed brick.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf View Post
The best story still comes from a coworker who bought a brand new shrink wrapped camcorder from someone on the street, only to find a freshly boxed brick.
That's a classic. How Much?

Jeff
Old 31st March 2010, 11:28 PM   #6
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I feel so left out. I spend a great deal of time loitering in parking lots, but have never seen the white van guys.

Just not living right......
Old 1st April 2010, 12:36 AM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
I feel so left out. I spend a great deal of time loitering in parking lots, but have never seen the white van guys.

Just not living right......
Ouch, you ain't lived until someone in a white van approaches you in a lot somewhere to try and sell you some bogus low end speakers.. I was highly entertained - although I was pretty young at the time.. This actually happened to me more than once at various malls..

Sadly I actually knew someone who fell for this scam, the speakers were mostly empty box, and sounded pretty dreadful. (IIRC they had a couple of 5" woofers and a 2" cone tweeter, pleated untreated paper suspensions and probably the smallest magnets I have ever seen.) I sold him an inexpensive used pair of speakers to replace them for about the same amount of coin he spent on those white van specials that were clearly a light year or two better.. :
Old 1st April 2010, 12:50 AM   #8
iko is online now iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Well, years ago, young and hungry, I was looking for a job. It was hard times in '92 in Canada, and I couldn't find even a job washing dishes in restaurants. There was this ad in the paper looking for guys who could drive, easy money, bla bla. So I called and went for an interview, somewhere in the suburbs of Toronto, industrial area, small office next to hundreds others. The guy was a smoooth talker. Oh, he asked me this, that, then he said I'd be perfect for the job. All I have to do is drive this white van to mall parking lots and wait 'til someone comes to their car. The story was that I had a couple of speakers that "fell of the truck" during a shipment and I just want to get rid of them. The smooth talking guy was a driving a huge Cadillac and sure impressed me, but I just got a bad feeling from all this and I went home and never called back. The best part of this story isn't this though. Months later I visited this very obnoxious guy's house. He was going on and on about every little thing in his house like it was the best ever. "Look at this VCR, it's the best. That one you got it's crap!" And on, and on he'd go about how he got the best stuff ever. Then we were in the living room and he put some music on, sure enough started talking about the amaaaazing speakers he just got. And how it buries us all.. wow! I didn't say anything, but I was laughing inside myself. Those speakers were the crappy ones that those guys were selling.

It's a well established business model.
Old 1st April 2010, 02:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

What's the name of that British TV program, The Real Hustle, or similar? Wish they would show that in the US, as it is VERY exciting!
Old 1st April 2010, 03:31 AM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi lanchile,

As you've read, many of us have experienced these guys over the years and sounds like you just got your first taste. Good to bring it up every so often so the newbs have fair warning. Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!