Single sensor to analyze household AC noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just watched a lecture including this link:
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/jfogarty/publications/ubicomp2009.pdf
that also covered the development of a single sensor that identifies the noise generated by device consuming electricity within a house, even to the point of identifying which light bulb is on.

Their thrust is to track individual device's energy consumption with a single sensor.

What occurred to me is that with this sensor, we can identify the source of noise going thru AC cords into our stereo gear.

I ran a scan to get more info from the University's web site, looking for commercial availability--no info.

Best from tucson
Bob

I couldn't find any info on their site, other than for the water sensor

Since its a university. I imagine they will license both the hardware and software. What was interesting is that the electrical sensor was designed to go on the breaker box. It has leds so that it can be centered on the buss. It had an adhesive back so a home owner can just center it and push it in place.

Since I don't know anything about about noise spikes on AC lines, my brain wonders if noise can be partially canceled like noise canceling headphones?

If nothing else, the one electrical sensor that can track time and usage of individual components looks interesting, especially if utilities can sell power based at different rates for different times.

Best from Tucson
Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.