Our patio umbrella almost burst into flames today

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is boggling my mind since that umbrella has been on our deck without incident for 3+ years. We recently moved it about 15 feet to a different location on the deck, but, other than that, it's been out there for two prior winters, etc.

Now I'm tempted to put it up around lunch time, and sit and watch what happens.........it'll have to wait until next weekend since I have to work for a living.

Lots of variables there - sun angle, weather, foilage, distance to the target, etc. Perhaps you happened upon the travelling focal point during the right part of the day.

Focus for a concave reflector is half the radius of curvature.

Maybe you could put it to constructive use, or have a deck party and see whose hair lights up! Lay out a chalk line to stand on...

Fascinating!

Sun -> Window -> steam turbine -> class D amp ?

Or maybe to a nice sausage for a solar grill out?

Presuming that you are no longer concerned about the appearance of your scorched umbrella, maybe painting it white would lessen it's absorption? Perhaps some sort of diffusor or some lattice work over the the window?

A fun effect to play with, if it weren't so potentially troublesome.

Well, if you're going to fire up the ol' DIY death ray again, I think I'll stay clear of South County... just to be on the safe side. :p

Looney

Good idea.........looks like it'll be hot again today. Perhaps I could focus the death ray at the barbeque for a weenie roast or something. If I only knew what was going on....

The umbrella is laying down next to the house firmly in the shade.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.