diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   World's most expensive paint. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/158368-worlds-most-expensive-paint.html)

scott wurcer 10th January 2010 06:32 PM

World's most expensive paint.

Came across this when perusing the catalog of a supplier for museum quality restoration supplies. Just in case you just have to touch up an original Roman textile you can get genuine Tyrian purple dye for $3,900 a gram or more than $3,000,000 a liter.

Key 10th January 2010 06:58 PM

They just don't make purple like they used to.

Steve Eddy 10th January 2010 07:14 PM

Sounds like a neat catalog. What company is it?

se

scott wurcer 10th January 2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Eddy (Post 2042478)
Sounds like a neat catalog. What company is it?

se

It's a German company, Kremer Pigments. The story is great 10,000 snails are used to make each gram and they still have not been able to recreate the process that the Romans used. It's also a great place to get arsenic sulphide yellow just in case nothing else will do.

rdf 10th January 2010 07:28 PM

I'm think EnABL.

Key 10th January 2010 07:37 PM

Lol that was my first thought before I clicked but I didn't want to say it.

See the thing is bright colors are not as valuable as they were in Roman times. Royalty would where bright reds, purples, yellows etc.. because it was expensive to make the dies. Now that the average t-shirt can be made with these colors for pennies the wealthy swapped fashions with the middle class and started wearing muted browns, blacks, and grays.

Steve Dunlap 10th January 2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott wurcer (Post 2042485)
It's a German company, Kremer Pigments. The story is great 10,000 snails are used to make each gram and they still have not been able to recreate the process that the Romans used. It's also a great place to get arsenic sulphide yellow just in case nothing else will do.

That sounds like a good use of a very rare species. The dye was synthesized first in 1903.

Quote:

Comparison of the organically synthesized dye with the commercial dye showed matching spectra in the infrared, Raman and visible, which also matched with published spectra of Tyrian purple. This illustrates not only the possibility of achieving nature’s molecules in the laboratory, but also obtaining dyes of analytical quality.
MMJ | Spectral Comparison of Commercial and Synthesized Tyrian Purple (page 3 of 3)

No doubt the golden eye crowd can see the difference.

Pano 10th January 2010 10:11 PM

And I thought inkjet ink was expensive....

That's an amazing spectral match. I wonder how other properties match up?

Steve Dunlap 10th January 2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panomaniac (Post 2042688)
And I thought inkjet ink was expensive....

That's an amazing spectral match. I wonder how other properties match up?

Since they are the same chemical, I would expect the other properties to match up pretty well.

Pano 10th January 2010 10:48 PM

Same stuff chemically? Should look the same then. No important impurities in the snail kind?