World's most expensive paint. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2010, 11:25 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dunlap View Post

No doubt the golden eye crowd can see the difference.
Yup, quite an analog to the audiophile community. This is only one example there are many more from numerous toxic chemicals to real fish glue from sturgeon bladders. Yes, YOU can't see (hear) the difference.

BTW Steve your comment is a little creepy are you stalking me or something? My favorite hobby is painting, I just thougth this was funny. No big need to find a link to a contradictory site.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 10th January 2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11th January 2010, 02:03 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
The story is great 10,000 snails are used to make each gram and they still have not been able to recreate the process that the Romans used.
Must be a glut of butter and garlic around there --- yummmmyyyyy -- I'll take that with a fine burgundy while we're at it.

Ever see Gordon Ramsay's kids grow snails? -- comestible snails that is -- it's somewhere on Youtube.
Old 11th January 2010, 02:32 AM   #13
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Or the old man in "Delicatessen"?
Old 11th January 2010, 03:16 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yup, quite an analog to the audiophile community. This is only one example there are many more from numerous toxic chemicals to real fish glue from sturgeon bladders. Yes, YOU can't see (hear) the difference.

BTW Steve your comment is a little creepy are you stalking me or something? My favorite hobby is painting, I just thougth this was funny. No big need to find a link to a contradictory site.
No, I'm not stalking you. I don't understand why what I said was creepy. I only checked the net because, as a chemist who's specialty was synthesizing organic compounds, I wanted to see what the dye was that it couldn't be made synthetically.
Old 11th January 2010, 03:24 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
Same stuff chemically? Should look the same then. No important impurities in the snail kind?
The snail extract was probably less pure. It seems that dye can have a range of hues depending on how it is used, whether snail or synthetic depending on things like ph of the dye solution and salt content.

Bottom line is, if it measures the same, it looks the same.
Old 11th January 2010, 04:33 PM   #16
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Bottom line is, if it measures the same, it looks the same.
We'll need a double blind...oh, wait a minute...
Old 11th January 2010, 09:23 PM   #17
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hmmm... I was thinking more of how reflective it might be, or how opaque. Measured a certain way, it might be the same, but seen from a different angle it could appear different if its not pure.

I'm not a dye expert, for sure. But I work for a long time in color matching. Even if the colors were the same - the binders, carriers, etc made a difference in how they were perceived. But if both the natural and the synthetic dyes are the same, they will look the same.

Just wondering (idly) if the snail juice carries something "extra" along with it that might make it look different under certain conditions. That sort of thing was always a big headache for me in color matching.
Old 11th January 2010, 11:23 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dunlap View Post
No, I'm not stalking you. I don't understand why what I said was creepy. I only checked the net because, as a chemist who's specialty was synthesizing organic compounds, I wanted to see what the dye was that it couldn't be made synthetically.
I'm sorry Steve I had one of those "someone is walking on my grave moments". I never though of couching this in the audiophile paradyme. This is great actually almost like someone paying $250,000 for cables. If it measures the same it looks the same, yes indeed.

If I had known you were a chemist I would have understood.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:07 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
Hmmm... I was thinking more of how reflective it might be, or how opaque. Measured a certain way, it might be the same, but seen from a different angle it could appear different if its not pure.

I'm not a dye expert, for sure. But I work for a long time in color matching. Even if the colors were the same - the binders, carriers, etc made a difference in how they were perceived. But if both the natural and the synthetic dyes are the same, they will look the same.
We sell custom surfaces to large OEM's, office equipment, medical, and retailers -- color, color permanence, reflectivity, texture, durability and time-to-market. All the test and measurement apparatus gets calibrated at least yearly, some more frequently, and it's all traceable.
Old 12th January 2010, 04:16 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If I had known you were a chemist I would have understood.
I rarely mention it because it is usually not relevant here. In general, there is no way to tell on line what someone's background is. It was hard to find anything on this, but I won it at age 20. I don't know if this competition is even held any more.

Junior Takes Lab Prize In Martius Yellow Test | The Harvard Crimson

Hide this!Advertise here!