Anyone know where to download movies legally? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2010, 05:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone know where to download movies legally?

Does anyone know places you can download movies legally?

All the places I've seen seem like rip offs, they do not have the credibility and/or quality I would demand from such a service.

And it would be awesome if there where sensible usage restrictions as well (NONE), I hate it when they try to make you buy something and there is some form of protection on the files, so you can't download on one computer, stuff it in the library there and watch it on the laptop, offline.
I want to be able to do that, even after the service provider has gone, because that happens.
Old 6th January 2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
no, thats why we have pirates.
Old 6th January 2010, 06:02 AM   #3
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Rental or 2nd-hand DVDs are cheap enough, aren't they? And those are too many to watch, already.

I've been hearing people download this and that. Soon there're just too many to watch/listen. All those files are just piling up and consuming the storage space (and/or stuffing the emptiness of their minds) after all.

Too many things to do and too little time. If there's time which is freely downloadable and actually usable, I'd like to know.
Old 6th January 2010, 06:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I would also like to buy time, that would be nice, but I like to keep things realistic as well.

I do not watch TV, i stopped doing that years ago, i do not listen to radio either, except when driving during work hours, then it's classical music and debates. My spare time is mainly divided upon my various hobbies, such as music editing (just for fun), stereo systems, and bicycling, although bicycling has suffered since i got married. We also watch quite a bit of anime, and we like a good movie every now and again.

All in all i like to think i spend my days doing more of the things i enjoy, than the things i find a waste of time.

What i do feel is a waste of time however, is trying to find some usable service for buying movies, it does not seem to exist. No sense in the industry pressing charges on the average Joe if they can't at least TRY to make some competing service.

Piracy 1 - Movie industry 0

DVD quality is not good enough, and in these "going green" times, i enjoy not having craploads of plastic in my livingroom, consumes a lot of space, discs scratch easily no matter what miracle tech they claim to have, a pc with some TB's of storage takes less space with more movies, and you get better support for the file formats you want to use.

Piracy 2 - Movie industry -1 (yeah, that's a minus there)

Last edited by KaffiMann; 6th January 2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 6th January 2010, 07:48 PM   #5
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm with you Kaffi. I feel the same about music. I'd gladly pay for downloads IF I could get FLAC files, but so few artists do that. I've taken to buying used CD's.

I use Hulu, you can only watch streaming (no downloading) but the quality is decent as long as you have a good connection, and they have a fair amount of anime. They do have commercials, but they are very short.

Broadband needs to step up one more notch in speed, then we'll start to see more of this kind of thing.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The music industry does not deserve to exist, they should be (and I think will be) overtaken by internet download sites. Why? Because they dont actually produce anything apart from marketing and cds, they like Hollywood are cartels IMO. Its been 10 years since napster and I still cant get flac on a studio site, these guys are not with the program.
Hollywood are just as bad in different ways.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:17 PM   #7
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

I've seen whole films (a few mainstream as well as some interesting older TV programs) on Youtube You can DL those, right. For example Cronenburg's eXistenZ

Or for mostly older stuff that's in the 'Public Domain'.
Internet Archive: Free Downloads: Feature Films

Last edited by infinia; 6th January 2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added link
Old 7th January 2010, 06:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

youtube is poor resolution and you cant really download them, you can screen scrape them but not worth it IMO. Thanks for teh archive link, are all old films free to view under copyright law?
Old 7th January 2010, 09:43 AM   #9
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Copyrights sometimes are not renewed, so then they become public domain. Re poor res0> Youtube is getting better... Hey it's free entertainment and watchable IMO whacha want for free. Doesn't Netflix or Blockbuster have DL agreement downunda
EDIT sorry forgot you want them Copied (HDD) that's a big problem.

Last edited by infinia; 7th January 2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 7th January 2010, 08:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yeah, so we all recognize the lack of proper services, although the technology is available, and has been for some time.

I completely agree on the lack of decent music sites providing FLAC as well, but i just stumbled over hdtracks.com not long ago, and it really seems like a nice thing. It doesn't have everything, but then again who does? At least the quality is good (96khz/24bit on some).

And i also found a site called Zimbalam ( Zimbalam - Index ), they provide services for artists wanting to release their music. I am very tempted to give it a go some time later this year. It's one of the few places they actually let the artist keep their rights to their own product. Not seeing anything about FLAC mentioned anywhere, but nevertheless a service that sticks out in a good way.

If anyone else know some good service providers around for movies, music and other products of culture, please post where to find it, and write a snippet of what it's about. I, for one, would appreciate it.

Hide this!Advertise here!