Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2010, 08:48 PM   #11
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Moral aspects aside, one great thing about downloads is being introduced to a huge range of artists who would never see local distribution. I would still be ignorant about the Korean and Thai film worlds without Usenet.
Old 7th January 2010, 09:01 PM   #12
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Have people here given netflix a try?

Receive the movies in the post, send them back when you're done. Its not free, but its pretty cheap, unless you want to watch 10 movies a day.

Also, if you have an internet connection, you can watch streaming on netflix. Amazing collection, good quality, low price.
Old 7th January 2010, 09:32 PM   #13
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, we love Netflix. DVDs and streaming.

When my wife worked for them we got the top level plan for free. Far more DVDs than we could ever watch!
Old 7th January 2010, 10:02 PM   #14
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf View Post
Moral aspects aside,.....
What he said and the music bootlegs ie live shows Ive heard because of usnet sharing.
Old 7th January 2010, 10:13 PM   #15
tsharp is offline tsharp  United States
diyAudio Member

Torrents are the way to go for downloading anything from applications to movies to complete discographies in FLAC format.

First get a program for managing and downloading torrents. my favorite is µTorrent because of it's simplicity and the fact that it uses very little resources and runs quickly even on my 6 year old desktop.
http://download.cnet.com/uTorrent/30...-10528327.html

After you download and install your torrent program use websites like http://isohunt.com/ and http://thepiratebay.org/ and http://www.kickasstorrents.com/ to search for anything you want. when you find something you want make sure it has lots of seeders because these are other people who have completely downloaded the same thing you are downloading, and are currently only uploading. so more seeders = faster download speeds. leechers are other people who are currently downloading the torrent, this is also listed next to torrent links on websites.

once you have found a torrent you want there should be a download torrent button somewhere on the webpage. click it and when it is finished downloading the small torrent file, usually less than 50kb, your torrent manager should prompt you to start downloading the torrent. you can choose where you want it to download to and uncheck any files included in the torrent that you don't want. then hit OK on the prompt window to start downloading.

And there you have it, the easiest and most reliable way to download just about anything the internet has to offer.

Last edited by tsharp; 7th January 2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 8th January 2010, 04:43 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I'm sure we all know the wonders of torrents and usenet by now.

I was thinking more along the lines of >legal< methods to download. Maybe i would like to support the artist doing the work?
And not the big companies, like Sony for instance, they control far to much of the industry. Not only do they earn massive amounts of money by being the patent holder for blue ray, but they also deliver software to the people making the music, as well as own large parts of some major record companies.
They are good at buying out competition, and buying into new areas of expertise.

I do not like Sony's end user products in general, in my opinion, they are over-protected, and therefore slow and cumbersome to work with. Add this to the business model they run, and you get a perfect recipe for evil dictatorship. A bit blunt maybe, but it's my personal opinion after all.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 8th January 2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old 8th January 2010, 08:00 AM   #17
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
Yeah, I'm sure we all know the wonders of torrents and usenet by now.

I was thinking more along the lines of >legal< methods to download. Maybe i would like to support the artist doing the work?
And not the big companies, like Sony for instance, they control far to much of the industry. Not only do they earn massive amounts of money by being the patent holder for blue ray, but they also deliver software to the people making the music, as well as own large parts of some major record companies.
They are good at buying out competition, and buying into new areas of expertise.

I do not like Sony's end user products in general, in my opinion, they are over-protected, and therefore slow and cumbersome to work with. Add this to the business model they run, and you get a perfect recipe for evil dictatorship. A bit blunt maybe, but it's my personal opinion after all.
I agree about Sony, also not a mac fan, I find them to proprietry and they are both control freaks. What will be interesting is mac after Steve Jobs.

Edit: Just went to Hdtracks.com, seems to me these guys wont let their pricing model go, 18 bucks for flac album or torrent, its an easy equation. I think they are too stubborn to adapt, and maybe their value proposition simply isnt there any more. I also have no moral problems, so many industries are price fixed, from airlines and freight, telecoms, music, film, etc.

Last edited by Luke; 8th January 2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 8th January 2010, 08:14 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Are you in Canada?

Downloading movies and music is very legal here. We pay a tax on blank media to do so.

Cheers!
Old 8th January 2010, 08:25 AM   #19
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Im in NZ, do you not have anti piracy laws? I recall reading something about Canada and piracy a while ago on the web but cant remember what it was.
Old 8th January 2010, 09:36 AM   #20
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Are you in Canada?

Downloading movies and music is very legal here. We pay a tax on blank media to do so.

Cheers!
Are you sure?

Also here in Italy, and I think in European Union in general, we pay the same tax on blank media, harddisks, memory cards, mp3 players, etc.

But downloading movies and music is still not legal.

The tax serves as a 'compensation' for the possible illegal use but doesn't makes legal anything....at least here in Europe.

Hide this!Advertise here!