The Jack Bybee NAQ (Never-Asked Questions)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,

It should be known that a post by Edmond was pulled by another mod while I had stepped out for a minute. It's content included, that even after the online urban translator and two other mods had looked at it, we all failed to see Mr Stuart had modified his sig line and that it's intent may not have been as we perceived it. For that Mr Stuart is owed an apology. At least by me as I was the one pursuing the issue. So Mr Stuart, please accept this public apology.

Now, about the rest of that post, perhaps you and I can take that up off line. ;)

Thank you and now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

I had the most enjoyment in my first sports car, (now everybody laugh) a 1965 Austin Healey Sprite, that I bought at Schipshol (sp) airport near Amsterdam. I put 5,000 miles on it while in Europe with the top down, most of the time. It was really fun to drive. Those British really know how to make a cheap, low speed, sports car.

Last edited:
All,

It should be known that a post by Edmond was pulled by another mod while I had stepped out for a minute. It's content included that even after the online urban translator and two other mods had looked at it we all failed to see Mr Stuart had modified his sig line and that it's intent may not have been as we perceived it. For that Mr Stuart is owed an apology. At least by me as I was the one pursuing the issue. So Mr Stuart, please accept this public apology.
[snip]

Of course I do accept your wholehearted apology.
And now, it's my turn to admit that I also made a mistake. The misspelling of 'hores-car' was indeed my mistake (as Cal pointed out). Fortunately the web came at rescue in order to hide my illiteracy and blame the '924 drivers' in stead of me:

Attachments

• hore.png
    hore.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
I had the most enjoyment in my first sports car, (now everybody laugh) a 1965 Austin Healey Sprite, that I bought at Schipshol (sp) airport near Amsterdam. I put 5,000 miles on it while in Europe with the top down, most of the time. It was really fun to drive. Those British really know how to make a cheap, low speed, sports car.

I never owned a "sports car" so I don't know what it's like. My 1974 Gremlin does not count? I put 100,00 miles on it until the ball joints gave out.

I gave up my Renault Dauphine after 95,000 mi, in pretty good running condition, after several rebuilds. That is where I got most of my mechanics experience, including engine rebuilding. I made one serious mistake, however with my Renault. I installed an Abarth free flow muffler, and it worked so well, that the engine ran lean, at high speed, and I did not know at the time how to richen the mixture, except for setting the idle. I also installed a vacuum gauge to get maximum economy, and to help with tuning.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here is a strange tidbit from that Porche 924 wikipedia article that Magura linked to:
The first official appearance of the 924 took place in November 1975 ... at the harbour at La Grande Motte, Camargue in the south of France.

What the ??? What an odd place to introduce a car. A German car. Don't get me wrong, really cool place - used to go to the beach there in the summer and ride horses up in the marshes. But why roll out a new Porche there? Is there something I'm missing? A race or something?

why roll out a new Porche there?

La grande motte is a beach holiday resort, a miniature Ft Lauderdale.
The entire place was set up by a single designer, an architectural statement.
A "tour de force" the way the French love it, similar to the business area La Defense in Paris.
The shabang in La grande motte was completed a couple of years before the 924 came out, so it was a cool place for a press release (photo shoot)

Speaking of Ft Lauderdale, if you're ever in the market for a big expensive Euro boat, an old school buddy of mine is chief executive of the America division, his office is at the entrance of the Lauderdale marina entrance.
(damn, i wanted that job)

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
In answer to the question about who can tune a car? Well my first car was a 1965 Morris 1100. I drove it for 13 years and almost all mechanical work on it in that time was done by myself.

I pulled down the engine and rebuilt it, changed gearboxes a few times, got the head worked (bigger valves, heavier springs and ported) put a mild cam in it (after 5 schooners at the pub), made a kit electronic ignition for it (wow what a difference, lucas electricals really suck), and eventually put a set of twin SU's with very aggressive needle tapers (they are a real pain to tune) on it... I used to love dragging off Alpha drivers in it, they used to get rather upset ;) before the mods it used to start to run out of steam at 4500 RPM and max out at 5100, but with the above mods would pull hard to 6500RPM at which point I wasn't game to go any further for fear of throwing a rod. Yeah I was probably insane to do all that to such a lowly car, but I had a love/hate relationship with it, and until I got my current car, hadn't driven anything that handled better than it). The downside to all of the above is it went from a very respectable 29 mpg in city driving and 40mpg+ highway to 21mpg city (if I was lucky) and about 30mpg highway ;)

My current car is a 1995 Peugeot 306 S16, closest thing to a sports car I have driven. It has three times the power of the (stock) morris, and the handling is at another level. At first I wasn't game to look at anything under the bonnet, but now have changed ignition coils on it, there isn't much else you can do with it though as it is all computer controlled, there is nothing per se to tune.

It's only modifications are a pod filter (which I think detracts from performance due to picking up hot air from the engine bay, but it sounds so good) and a High Flow exhaust (which improved fuel economy by about 80KM on a tank in city driving) but is too loud.

The pod filter came about after hitting an oil spill on Mt victoria, loosing control and tearing out the airbox on a higher than normal gutter, the wait for the new airbox was going to be 6-12 weeks (and I didn't think that the makeshift duct tape job I did on the damaged one would last that long... I've got the new one but have never put it back in ;)

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.