The Jack Bybee NAQ (Never-Asked Questions)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Jack Bybee NAQ (Never-Asked Questions)*​

This post is a departure from the usual FAQ concept in which commonly-asked questions are grouped together with answers, to help people having the same questions. Instead, the NAQ idea gathers together previously-provided answers to questions that were never asked in the first place. Why would anyone answer questions that were never asked? Well, just because they were never asked doesn't necessarily mean people aren't interested in the answers! So let's get on with the Jack Bybee NAQ.

Q: Who is Jack Bybee's lawyer?
A: Jack Bybee's lawyer is Jack Bybee.

Q: You mean Jack Bybee is a lawyer in addition to being a physicist?
A: No, this is another Jack Bybee. The post excerpt below explains this**.
Making negative references to Jack Bybee in this context, just confuses people, and is completely just a random attack on someone, whom you have never met, but I might introduce you to his cousin ( also named Jack Bybee) who is his lawyer, and who lives in Walnut Creek. I have met him and had lunch with him, and he is the guy who will conduct the lawsuit, if it becomes necessary. It has happened before, and the effects were serious.

Q: What kind of cars does Jack Bybee drive?
A: Jack Bybee drives a Mercedes and a Bentley. More information is provided below.
For the record, Jack Bybee called me last night. He is off to Macau with his charming wife. Gambling is her thing, you know. He left the Bentley at home, but sooner or later, he promises to give me a ride in it. His new Mercedes is pretty nice, but boring at this point.

Q: How many horsepower does Jack Bybee's Bentley have?
A: Jack Bybee's Bentley has 651 horsepower. See below.
PS folks, Jack Bybee has 651 HP, as measured by dynamometer by special upgrade house, in his Bentley. Car is still heavy, however, great touring car.

Q: What kind of car stereo is installed in Jack Bybee's Bentley?
A: Jack Bybee's Bentley has a Naim car stereo. See the reference below.
I got a ride in Jack Bybee's Bentley today. What a nice car! 650HP, and all we did was drive local streets. Naim made the auto stereo, and it was pretty good sounding.

Q: Does Jack Bybee's Bentley use Sequerra spark plugs?
A: This is not known.

Q: What was Jack Bybee's relationship to Richard Feynman?
A: This has been mentioned in several contexts, which I've included below. One post uses the term "internment", while another says "consultant", so the exact nature is not clear.
NOW, what about his internment at Cal Tech with Richard Feynman?
He explained that, in some detail, to me, this morning, not 10 minutes ago. It will have to wait for another response in future.
My associate, Jack Bybee, used to be a consultant to R. Feynmann as a cryo expert. Any questions that you would want me to pose to him? I dine with him tomorrow.
Apparently Jack Bybee was sent to Cal Tech to work with Richard Feynman, because Jack had extensive experience with state-of-the-art superconducting materials. This is the area of expertise that Feynman needed to help find 'missing mass' that he was looking for.

Q: Has Jack Bybee ever made any significant profit from his sales of audiophile accessories?
A: According to one account he has not. See below.
For the record, I don't think that Jack has EVER made any significant profit from this, any more than I have made on my own independent projects, that I have made for audiophiles.

Other interesting questions could be brought up too. One might wonder, "How many miles does Jack Bybee drive his Bentley between oil changes?" Or, "What brand of battery does Jack Bybee's Bentley use?" One might even wonder, "What color socks does Jack Bybee prefer?" Unfortunately I don't have the answers to these questions.

(*) Satire
(**) Note that you can navigate to the post in question by clicking on the ">" icon next to the name of the person being quoted.

I use Dick Sequerra's spark plugs in my Porsche 944.
Jack Bybee turns 80 years old, this month, and he still finds my amps hard to break-in. I happen to know that his ability to hear audio differences is greater than most people here, even at 80 years old. Quite an accomplishment.

Last edited:
It is a fact that Jack Bybee knows Dick Sequerra, but they are not close friends. Dick Sequerra has used Bybee devices, and essentially knows how they work. He clued me in, years ago, but I am not going to divulge what I learned from Dick.
It is a shame that you, Andy_C, are so closed minded in your opinions that you cannot conceive of a better spark plug.

It is a shame that you, Andy_C, are so closed minded in your opinions that you cannot conceive of a better spark plug.

It's not a matter of better or worse spark plugs. If you invest in a company, there's a bunch of financial metrics that you need to look at. If it's a publicly-traded company, you can defer that task to trained analysts who look at such things. If it's a privately-held company, the job of figuring out financials rests with the individual investor, who may or may not have the skills for that (I don't). Be very careful how you invest your money. I'm totally serious, not joking at all about this.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Ha Ha.

I use champion plugs.

Well I drive a rather modified 383 cu-in stroker in a car that only weighs 1300kg. Well I did until a few week ago, when, experimenting with different intake manifolds, I droped a nut into the intake manifold.
Currently getting a new right hand cylinder head ported to match the still good one, and the new engine block is being preped at the machine shop. Fortunatley the crank survived. Should be up an running again before Christmass though, with a little more power this time. Anyway, two clumsy fingers and a nut and there evaporated my new computer and audio project budget by about two times over :(

Right now I'm just having an afternoon break now, about to log-off and get back into my grease monkey outfit to resume rebuilding by SIIA Landrover gearbox. I really hit the jackpot with this one. It's about half a century old and hasn't been turned over by an engine for about 20 years. The Rover was stored in a dry farm shed and the box was overfilled with oil; consequently had zero internal rust. There is zero visible wear or slop or bearing play anywhere - not even a chipped gear tooth to be seen; remarkable for a 'crash' box. The gear selection was at first a bit sticky, but that was just due to excessive gunk and surface rust on the selector levers - all fixed now.

All I needed to buy to get this box back to A1 condition was a tube of high temp sealant and an $80 gasket and seal kit. Just gotta finish putting the transfer case back togeather now, then this box is going straight into the chassis. Yahoo.

Sorry for the OT :)

Attachments

• gb2.jpg
    gb2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
I'm not worried about Dick Sequerra or if his spark plugs ever get off the ground. Unfortunately, like many things, it is difficult to get a footing in an area like this. I will tell everyone this much: The advantage of the Sequerra sparkplug is that it can support a wider gap without over-stressing the ignition system. Usually, a .09 inch gap is allowed with the Sequerra plugs. This would destroy most auto ignitions, if normal plugs were used. I drove this way with my Porsche 924 with a .09 inch gap for a number of years. I installed the plugs in the 944 just a year or so ago. So far, no complaints, but not much of an improvement compared to the 924. I suspect that the different spark plug location is the reason. It really helped my 924, especially with starting.

I wonder if quantum purifiers were added to the ignition system, would the effects be more power or higher fuel economy (or just better starting) on the Bentley?

Spark plugs and plug wires generally have very little effect and often problems with the plugs are due to a problem somewhere else with fuel additives or air filter or blowby. I remember changing out plugs, wires, distributor and air filter in my old 1983 rabbit. The old plugs were gapped for a longer spark and the new ones were properly gapped. I expected a change in something (starting, idling, power, etc...) and there was none at all.

Spark Plugs and Spark Plug Wires - Facts & Repair Advice

Here's an interesting test:
Sparkplugs.com - Spark Plug 411
...want to venture a guess on the statistical significance?
I doubt the dyno results are even repeatable within those limits.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Eeer, easy on the 587, mate.
MSD-6, anyone, with or without stock ?

MSD is overpriced wank. Their aftermarket CDI dizzies generally have primitive "selectable" advance curves which are a compromise at best.
My engine has a stock Bosch HEI which is more than good enough as far as the spark goes - It's the primitive mechanical advance that is the real performance limiter.
I was going to spend a bunch of cash on a combined programmable ignition curve + CDI ignition unit, but the latter feature is not needed, so I've decided to build my own fully programmabe ignition advance curve trigger unit myself, using a $10 pic uC. It's a really simple thing to make, and will work with my stock dizzy, modified, with the mechanical advance mechanism locked out / disabled.

Last edited:
Ron, you have little knowledge of sparkplug gaps. You have confused Bybee with the Shakti Electromagnetic Stabilizer. I have a technical tip in a book on power tuning that suggests over-gapping sparkplugs to get a slight advantage in a short race, but NOT to leave the gaps that way, for longer, due to the extra stress on the ignition wires.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.