The Jack Bybee NAQ (Never-Asked Questions) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2009, 05:21 AM   #11
andy_c is offline andy_c  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
It is a shame that you, Andy_C, are so closed minded in your opinions that you cannot conceive of a better spark plug.
It's not a matter of better or worse spark plugs. If you invest in a company, there's a bunch of financial metrics that you need to look at. If it's a publicly-traded company, you can defer that task to trained analysts who look at such things. If it's a privately-held company, the job of figuring out financials rests with the individual investor, who may or may not have the skills for that (I don't). Be very careful how you invest your money. I'm totally serious, not joking at all about this.
Old 14th December 2009, 05:31 AM   #12
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Ha Ha.

I use champion plugs.

Well I drive a rather modified 383 cu-in stroker in a car that only weighs 1300kg. Well I did until a few week ago, when, experimenting with different intake manifolds, I droped a nut into the intake manifold.
Currently getting a new right hand cylinder head ported to match the still good one, and the new engine block is being preped at the machine shop. Fortunatley the crank survived. Should be up an running again before Christmass though, with a little more power this time. Anyway, two clumsy fingers and a nut and there evaporated my new computer and audio project budget by about two times over

Right now I'm just having an afternoon break now, about to log-off and get back into my grease monkey outfit to resume rebuilding by SIIA Landrover gearbox. I really hit the jackpot with this one. It's about half a century old and hasn't been turned over by an engine for about 20 years. The Rover was stored in a dry farm shed and the box was overfilled with oil; consequently had zero internal rust. There is zero visible wear or slop or bearing play anywhere - not even a chipped gear tooth to be seen; remarkable for a 'crash' box. The gear selection was at first a bit sticky, but that was just due to excessive gunk and surface rust on the selector levers - all fixed now.

All I needed to buy to get this box back to A1 condition was a tube of high temp sealant and an $80 gasket and seal kit. Just gotta finish putting the transfer case back togeather now, then this box is going straight into the chassis. Yahoo.

Sorry for the OT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gb2.jpg (65.1 KB, 527 views)

Last edited by GK; 14th December 2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 14th December 2009, 05:32 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I'm not worried about Dick Sequerra or if his spark plugs ever get off the ground. Unfortunately, like many things, it is difficult to get a footing in an area like this. I will tell everyone this much: The advantage of the Sequerra sparkplug is that it can support a wider gap without over-stressing the ignition system. Usually, a .09 inch gap is allowed with the Sequerra plugs. This would destroy most auto ignitions, if normal plugs were used. I drove this way with my Porsche 924 with a .09 inch gap for a number of years. I installed the plugs in the 944 just a year or so ago. So far, no complaints, but not much of an improvement compared to the 924. I suspect that the different spark plug location is the reason. It really helped my 924, especially with starting.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:19 AM   #14
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

I wonder if quantum purifiers were added to the ignition system, would the effects be more power or higher fuel economy (or just better starting) on the Bentley?

Spark plugs and plug wires generally have very little effect and often problems with the plugs are due to a problem somewhere else with fuel additives or air filter or blowby. I remember changing out plugs, wires, distributor and air filter in my old 1983 rabbit. The old plugs were gapped for a longer spark and the new ones were properly gapped. I expected a change in something (starting, idling, power, etc...) and there was none at all.

Spark Plugs and Spark Plug Wires - Facts & Repair Advice

Here's an interesting test:
Sparkplugs.com - Spark Plug 411
...want to venture a guess on the statistical significance?
I doubt the dyno results are even repeatable within those limits.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:51 AM   #15
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
Design engineer, consultant
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_c View Post
the jack bybee naq (never-asked questions)*

so let's get on with ....
rofl!
Old 14th December 2009, 12:38 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_c View Post
The Jack Bybee NAQ (Never-Asked Questions)*
[snip]
Splendid, Andy!

C.E.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:46 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron E View Post
I wonder if quantum purifiers were added to the ignition system, would the effects be more power or higher fuel economy (or just better starting) on the Bentley?
[snip]
Much higher fuel economy with quantum purifiers, as the engine runs even on water.
What a shame you didn't know this already.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:54 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
sealant
Eeer, easy on the 587, mate.
MSD-6, anyone, with or without stock ?

(Bybees improve the gas mileage ? who would have guessed)

WB, EVS +GK
Old 14th December 2009, 01:21 PM   #19
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Eeer, easy on the 587, mate.
MSD-6, anyone, with or without stock ?

MSD is overpriced wank. Their aftermarket CDI dizzies generally have primitive "selectable" advance curves which are a compromise at best.
My engine has a stock Bosch HEI which is more than good enough as far as the spark goes - It's the primitive mechanical advance that is the real performance limiter.
I was going to spend a bunch of cash on a combined programmable ignition curve + CDI ignition unit, but the latter feature is not needed, so I've decided to build my own fully programmabe ignition advance curve trigger unit myself, using a $10 pic uC. It's a really simple thing to make, and will work with my stock dizzy, modified, with the mechanical advance mechanism locked out / disabled.

Last edited by GK; 14th December 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 14th December 2009, 01:59 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Ron, you have little knowledge of sparkplug gaps. You have confused Bybee with the Shakti Electromagnetic Stabilizer. I have a technical tip in a book on power tuning that suggests over-gapping sparkplugs to get a slight advantage in a short race, but NOT to leave the gaps that way, for longer, due to the extra stress on the ignition wires.

Last edited by john curl; 14th December 2009 at 02:02 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!