The Jack Bybee NAQ (Never-Asked Questions) - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2009, 03:47 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

It takes all kinds of people. Many will never do anything but a fair days work and get paid, accordingly. I remember working in such an environment back at the Ampex Audio department, in 1968. The head of the audio division noted my unusual interest in improving things, so he assigned me the task of finding out how we could improve existing audio products, and look toward the next generation of analog master recorders. I got heat and static from everybody. The tape head department just about went nuts when I showed them that the head stacks were made of too thick slices, and that the back gap was inappropriate. It meant more work for them to get it right. The same with fet input repro. stages, etc, etc.
Everyone told me that these SMALL changes were next to worthless, as Dolby could solve all our problems. My office mates continually badgered me about it.
It, over the course of years, came to be at Ampex Audio, that the heads were improved, the bias frequency increased, etc, etc. just like I put in my internal paper in early 1969 to department, when I moved on the the research division, down the hall.
To keep the record straight, most of my findings were already in an audio paper by Keith Johnson, (now with Spectrol and RR) 5 years earlier, but I didn't know about it, until I completed my findings. I always like to give credit where it is due.

Last edited by john curl; 15th December 2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 15th December 2009, 04:07 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

PMA I will tell you what I can. First, the outside of what appears to be a ceramic substrate, is impregnated with a mixture of rare earth materials. There are conductive endcaps and the impregnated ceramic has an ohmic impedance of 10 ohms or so. The inside contains a quality resistor, made for the military, that in the last generation was made of a metal with the highest Fermi Velocity of any common material. This new technology, I can't say too much about, but the final 'resistance' is about .025 ohms. If you look at the shape of the overall unit, you will see that it is a microwave cavity resonator with a Q of many thousands. Whether it was designed as one, or not, it is just that. Using the properties of specific rare earth materials, found many years ago, by the military research establishment, during the cold war, it was incorporated to reduce a certain kind of 1/f noise that was problematic in submarine detection of other submarines, using passive sonar.
Nobody knows completely how it works, but it does, so the military has used this technology for many decades, and they just don't talk much about it.
I just showed Jack Bybee a paper from China that parallels this effort, so the concept is not unknown to working physicists all over the world.
Old 15th December 2009, 04:27 PM   #123
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

I am also involved in a technology I am not allowed to speak much about (image), but these Bybee devices are beyond my understanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun.jpg (71.7 KB, 215 views)
Old 15th December 2009, 04:29 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

"DO NOT place a purifier on the filaments transformer tap."

"microwave cavity resonator with a Q of many thousands."

Last edited by scott wurcer; 15th December 2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 15th December 2009, 04:29 PM   #125
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
The inside contains a quality resistor, made for the military, that in the last generation was made of a metal with the highest Fermi Velocity of any common material.
Yeah, am I supposed to jawdrop following this technobabble?

Fermi velocity Vf is the velocity associated with the Fermi energy Ef=m*Vf^2/2.

If memory serves, the metal with the highest Fermi energy is Beryllium, second being Aluminum. I suppose it's not Beryllium, so what's left it's a nice sales pitch to justify the use of Al for a "quality resistor"
Old 15th December 2009, 04:43 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

You calling me a liar, Syn08?
Old 15th December 2009, 04:44 PM   #127
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Anyone experienced enough to explain how this works? And what is the 'improvement'? What happens if overloaded?

Bybee Large Quantum Purifier
That thing looks like a piece of 1/2" copper pipe:

Click the image to open in full size.

With test cap ends:

Leads from 14awg romex:

Dipped in black Plasti-Dip:

Quarks and tachyons trapped inside.
Old 15th December 2009, 04:44 PM   #128
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Nobody knows completely how it works, but it does
Data?

Data?

Data?
Old 15th December 2009, 04:47 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Jack just told me how to get the data last night, but it might take some extra effort.
Old 15th December 2009, 04:49 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

I actually have some measured data that was shown to me 15 years ago, and measured by an independent lab. It shows differences, but not enough to satisfy critics like SY.

Hide this!Advertise here!