Where Do you see the audio industry going from here? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2009, 12:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Where Do you see the audio industry going from here?

I currently have a slow but rising company in the A/V industry. Not only do I have the commercially sold speakers, but I also build and design multi-way speakers and subs for some of my clients. For me, the DIY way is far better end result more I think not only because I built it but it just sounds better than most of the usual store bought in-walls or towers that I can just go and buy.

As most people know, unless your under a rock, the housing market has crashed and is probally not going to come back to anything like it was for sometime. My question is to people that not only do the DIY thing, but possible do it for a living too. Where do you stand as a DIY audio guy/gal and where do you see the custom speaker, amp, and so on DIY industry going from here now that so many of todays off the shelf speakers are staying on the shelf more? Where are we going from here and are we ever going to be reconized from the idustry for our efferts to bring true sound to everyone?
Old 10th December 2009, 11:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I see the industry as crashing.

The American dollar is falling.

We may have hyper inflation (everything) like the way there is no inflation now, but heat/electricity/ food is up.

Or I love how now they have 5 snacky cakes in the same sized box as what used to hold 6, and the price is the same as when it had 6. Very Sneaky.

Actually, car repairs are up and house remodeling is up as people realize they are stuck, so they might as well go ahead and get that kitchen they always wanted, and it would help to sell the house years from now also.

I myself gladly eat the cost of shipping for paying for someone to make stuff for me. I have one of a kind stuff.

I think we will see Amazon destroying low end audio stores. I was on vacation back in October and stopped in to listen to a pair of akg-k701 headphones under the full understanding that I wasn't buying anything at all, just stopping by. We listened to them. I said how much. He said "$450." I said "I can get these on amazon with shipping for under $280." He said, "yea, they don't have a storefront. I could go down to $400 but thats about it."

I assume people will read more or talk to others who know more, then buy online to save money.

Norman
Old 10th December 2009, 11:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

There is a recession still on in the UK.

Personally I think the a/v market is saturated.
Unless you an offer something special/different then its going to be hard work selling.
Old 14th December 2009, 01:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sell bose.

People are shown better sounding speakers for less money.
They say "my buddy has bose, they sound good, so that's what I'll buy."

Maybe a diy boxes with 167e or 207e and sell them on ebay.
Or perhaps boxes custom built for either driver.
I'd buy it.

If you make something look nice and pricy, there may be a demand for it.
People are still installing 40k home theaters.
So make it look gorgeous.
My buddy could sell custom stuff.
You can say "I have an engineer make the crossover on his kitchen table."

Rich folks love the exclusivity of having something that their neighbor can't have.

Then again rich folks gets houses, cars, bags, watches. Very showy stuff that others can see. A mid level income probably has better equipment than a rich guy. Most rich don't listen when they buy it anyway.

I think a theater with all fe207e with a dual 15" push pull slot loaded subwoofer.

You have to be more exclusive than best buy.
You have to kiss their butt, make them feel waited on, make them feel special, but not make them know you are kissing their butt.
Now is hard, even comfy people arn't spending money, their 401k is in the toilet, it looks like they lost thousands upon thousands.
Old 17th December 2009, 03:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

DIY audio is hardly an 'industry'. Perhaps a cottage industry at best. Most people want the kind of functionality, reliability etc that a cottage industry cannot offer. Your real problem is that audio is a mature technology - no-one wants or needs tweakers or servicemen to keep stuff going. COTS audio gear is not only good, it's great and it's cheap and you can, of course, buy it online from the comfort of your own home.

The hifi industry is dying because it's been stuck in the past for too long. Say what you like about vinyl or 1/2" tape, but 99.9999...% of people listen to digital sources, increasingly PC/hdd based and *streamed* to whereever they are, etc. That's the future of the industry - giving people what they want, where they want it, when they want it. If you're 'custom designing' amps and speakers... then short of bringing some unique aesthetic or level of convenience I dont' believe you have anything to offer the public.

And yeah, I think traditional retail is going to get seriously killed off. And the biggest single reason will actually be lack of choice. Nevermind the outstanding customer service and chance to try before you buy, how many independent stores can afford to hold a wide choice of stock?

Lastly, the industry is dying because journalists and 'audiophools' have spent the last two decades with their heads up their ***** peddling ******** and snake oil. Journalists ought to be defending the public from this crap but they don't, they endorse and take advertising revenue from it. Remember Ken Kessler's all-but-endorsement of the Golden Sound Intelligent Chip scam? Remember all the serious reviews of green markers etc to improve CD sound? Not to mention the obsession with hairshirt audiophilia, something 99.999...% of the audio-enjoying public has no time for.
Old 17th December 2009, 04:34 PM   #6
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
I'm a installer, was trained in Toronto, and 4 years hand on experience, Laid off from one Companies, It's getting slower for the smaller places, as i hope to start a new job with a bigger company, i opened my door for installing to start learning alarms and multi zone wiring, as it's cat5-& cat6 for most of it, It's neat to do and learning curve is HUGE especially in the programming department, I took a FULL long day course learning some programing for touch pannels for home automated systems, and man tell me about sitting in front of a computer doing programming, its alot of work.

It sucks being laid off right now, ei is low income, and being bored all day SUCKS! But keeping my chin up, Lots of people think the economy is getting better, REALLY ? because 5 years ago everything was booming. Now its just moving SO SLOW!

I say if your building speakers and stuff, keep doing it don't quit, it will come back it's just going to take time. i'm building cables to keep me entertained and busy, buy the materials cheap sell the cables for no profit and have fun.
Old 17th December 2009, 09:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

One word: Headphones.

se

Hide this!Advertise here!