NP:"Simple Sounds Better" TGY:"Simple Food Better"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In a sense I agree with Nelson, using tubes as I do forces a certain simplicity, and indeed in many cases the simplest approach that meets all of the design criteria will probably provide the best overall performance. Sometimes getting to that point is not so simple. I'm still working on it.. :)

I like my food pretty simple most of the time too.. (Basic and natural ingredients, skillfully prepared by my wife who is quite a good cook.) I cook up hifi, she cooks up sustenance. :)

Last edited:
I cook lunch. It will be a Paprikash potato.
Well, this likewise not a complicated food.
An onion chop, we roast it on oil.
We peel the raw potato meanwhile.
If the onion reddened, we may put sausage into this.
We put ground red paprika according to tasting good then into it.
it may be pungent. We put the potato cut up into it then.
We bake it a little, we add water to it then, and we cook it.
Let us not forget to salt it.
Our party-state leader, János Kádár favourite food were.
The today's leader ones could take this as an example.

Gyuri

Attachments

• IMG_23161.JPG
    IMG_23161.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_23171.JPG
    IMG_23171.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_23181.JPG
    IMG_23181.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_23191.jpg
    IMG_23191.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 109
I have to disagree with this supposition.

As complex as is required is my axiom.

For example a single transistor amplifer with no feedback is simple but sounds rubbish. So a more complex solution is required if you want to work with cheap silicon parts.

A single tube amplifer, can, if a fairly complex set of requirements are matched sound quite good. However a single tube amplifer is not simple, the tube is a very complex peice of design, the output transformer is a very complex peice of design, working with very high voltages is not simple.

A single chip amplifer to the system designer is a simple design and can sound good. However it can still be got wrong and if some parts are left out it can go unstable also it is a very complex peice of design work, its just it was done by someone else.

The statement is an over simplifcation into black and white of a world that is a multitude of shades and colours.

Lets be realistic if audio was simple it would not hold the facination that it does, it is the many different approaches and results that keep us working on it.

I have spent the best part of my working life trying to understand what make thing sound good. Its not revealed by the measurements although they have a part to play. Its not sufficient to just listen as your mind can be tricked into beliving something is better when its not. Even studyng psycoacoustics doen't reveal the problem as the models are currently to simple to predict the outcome in high quality systems.

So lets stop pretending that simple is best.

regards,
Andrew

Let me begin it with my favourite nursery rhyme again:
There is not absolute truth, there are viewpoints only.
I continue with it, that my electronics knowledge quite marginal.
Maybe because of this fascinate onto so much NP amplifiers,
with their own "simplicity". Altogether there are two amplifier stages, some feedbacks.
Some power mosfets, that not too they prepared for an audio use.
And after all, they settle down in the peak somewhere, according to the opinion of many people.
Their simplicity sure relative, since I know so much because of that,
the mathematical description of a differential amplifier grade is not a high-school curriculum.

I built Jens Rasmussen Leach amplifier already. Excellent apparatus, excellent sound.
( One of its halves died though, and i don't know, what its trouble.
This one too complicated for me. )
This misses something from its sound only.
It is the life possibly.
Because of this, although I put excursions onto an other area, for me after all simple is better.
I know that everybody does not agree with me on the space of the foods also, but I do not expect it.
It has to fit beside peacefulness with each other for opposite viewpoints.

I hope so, my terrible English did not irritate too much.
If this after all, we try it in Hungarian.
Best regards:

Gyuri

P.S.:

How this is:
Good, better, best?
We earn the best one always yet, than the Holy Gral.

I certainly agree that simple is better when it comes to food: I very much prefer italian (simple) to french (complex).
But simple food depends on high quality ingredients which is where it becomes more complex as it is surprisingly difficult to find good ingredients in Britain.

When it comes to amplifiers my electroncs knowledge is not up to deciding which is which. That said I very much love my MC2 Audio amps and from what I understand at their heart is a 'simple' bipolar class a/b circuit (although the driver stage is of current transfer design rather than voltage transfer) but the digital control of it is rather complex.

Btw I'll try your Paprikash Potato recipe today since I already have all the ingredients although I will have to use some spanish paprika salami (chorizo).
If it works out ok I will inflict it upon my wife soon!

By the way the tastiest type of potato I've tried is called 'Pink Fir Apple' but it is probably best to grow them oneself as they very rarely turn up in shops and when they do they are expensive.
The problem is that the yield is quite low and they take a long time to grow.
On the plus side they keep extremely well (I stored mine for six months in a cool, dark cupboard) and hardly loose any flavour.
Sadly I've got no idea what they might be called in hungarian.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.