How To Get Rid Of Seagate BIOS From Hard Drive and Reformat? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2003, 04:56 PM   #1
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Default How To Get Rid Of Seagate BIOS From Hard Drive and Reformat?

I have an IBM Pentium II, (233 MHz) with a Seagate 20 GB hard drive. It has 64 MB RAM. It came with onboard video, USB port, etc.

I last used the Seagate 20 MB hard drive in an old Pentium 90 which could not correctly read the hard drive's numbers, so I downloaded the Seagate BIOS, which is called the Dynamic Drive Overlay v.9.85. The IBM computer now does not hook up well with an IBM G40 monitor, and the USB system is inoperable-nothing is installed. The Agere modem that came with the machine also does not work, but that might merely be a case of downloading the device driver. Device Drivers I downloaded for the monitor and the USB do me little good-the IBM G40 only gives 16 colors, (I finally had to install a Permedia video card, even though the machine has onboard video).

I would like to get rid of the Seagate BIOS and try the machine's BIOS, but when I put a startup floppy in the disk drive, it says the hard drive has a different system on it.

Arny computer mavens out there who can tell me how to reformat a hard drive with a Seagte BIOS using a Windows 98SE CD and startup floppy made from it? I want to get rid of the Seagate BIOS and use the machine's BIOS.

Much thanks.
Old 17th May 2003, 09:50 PM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I'm no computer expert, but presumably before you tried using the 20Gb Seagate, you had a working computer with a hard drive? Could you not put the old hard drive back in, and configure the Seagate as a slave?
Old 17th May 2003, 10:25 PM   #3
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Thank you for answering.

The Seagate was the old computer's hard drive.

This new, (used), computer did come with a small hard drive, but I think it has Linux on it. I might have to return the unit, so I want to leave the small hard drive alone.
Old 17th May 2003, 11:02 PM   #4
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe

Kelticwizard,

I'm not sure if your terminology is incorrect, or I'm ignorant
Do you just want to re-format an HDD that has had a non M$ operating system on it?
If so you need to boot fom the floppy and type the (undocumented) command:
fdisk /mbr
That's fdisk space fowardslash mbr [return]
This will rewrite the master boot record and allow you to use th normal M$ utilities: fdisk and format, from the floppy, to partition and format the HDD.

If you are truly wanting to re-flash the HDD's bios, ignore what I've said and get some expert advice.

Cheers,
Old 18th May 2003, 12:09 AM   #5
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Dhaen:

I am not sure if it is a non MS thing, for I use the Seagate BIOS to run Windows 98SE. But when I try to Fdisk the Seagate HD from the startup floppy made from the Windows 98SE, it says there is no partition on it.

I shall try your method tonight. If it works, fine. If not, I haven't lost anything. Thanks.
Old 19th May 2003, 07:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
It's a BIOS thing, i had the problem with an old PII motherboard. Basically, the bios can't map completely drives above a certain value (arround 16gb if i'm not mistaken). Win98 and DOS's fdisk try to read the disk geometry through bios and hence, they fail to partition it correctly. I guess there should be some partitoning software that does the trick (try www.donwload.com), but in any case, Linuxs' fdisk works ok, if you can use it.
Old 20th May 2003, 12:46 AM   #7
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks, guys. As it turns out, the fdisk/mbr thing worked, and I reformatted the hard drive.

Okay, next thing. I got an an old Norton Anti-Virus disk, which says the installer is an older version of what it is used to. I had installed Norton before using the same version of Windows 98SE that I now have.

However, that is not the problem. I have four modems, (one of which came with the computer), and at least three of them are Host signal Processing, ie. the computer itself does a fair percentage of the modem-ing, instead of it happening on the modem card.

Well, only one of them works, and three of them have trouble installing. One of them I have the installation disk, and two of them I went to the website or driverguide.com.

My question is, do I need to download another installer? Does Microsoft have installer updates for Windows 98 SE? Is it a good idea to get a freeware installer?

I mean, three modems don't work, something is amiss. The only modem that works is from a Dell, is 14.4 kps, and is made by Rockwell. Works fine, but it is 14.4 kps. My top speed for the phone lines in this neighborhood is 28.8.

The three modems are:
A) PCTel 896-bought it from a store, and has worked in the past.

B) PCTel out of a compaq 700 MHz-it did work in that computer. the owner got DSL, hence no use for it.

C) Lucent Agere, which came with the computer and for which I downloaded the driver from driverguide.com.

Is a new installer perhaps the answer?
Old 20th May 2003, 08:01 AM   #8
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium

Quote:
Does Microsoft have installer updates for Windows 98 SE?
Make sure you go to www.windowsupdate.com and perform all the important updates. This will upgrade your Win98SE to the latest versions with the latest installer software.

Old modems are sometimes a pain to install. You can spend hours looking for working drivers while the cost of a new small 56k is no more than $15. Drivers included.
The PCtel 896: can't find that one. Are you sure it's the 896 and not the 789. If it is, here's the driver: http://www.pctel.com/downloads/R755s8.zip

The compaq PCTel must have a number, as the Lucent Agere does.

/Hugo
Old 20th May 2003, 08:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Yeah, those hsp modems are a bi**h Sadly, the best resource to find drivers for them is (was, for me), Google. Sometimes it just takes a bit of luck. And that's on Windows, if you want to run them on something else you're on for a fun, fun ride...
Old 20th May 2003, 12:49 PM   #10
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Netlist, Lisandro:

Thanks for your advice.

It was indeed the 789. They have the drivers for it on the PCTel website, as well.

I shall download the Microsoft updates. Although with a 14.4 kps modem, it will difinitely take a looooong time. Looks like an overnight job.

Hide this!Advertise here!