How To Get Rid Of Seagate BIOS From Hard Drive and Reformat? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2003, 05:25 PM   #11
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Although with a 14.4 kps modem, it will difinitely take a looooong time
Indeed, didn't think of that.
You'll have to hope your Internet connection doesn't time-out.
Or you could try at a friendís who has Cable or DSL.

/Hugo
Old 21st May 2003, 03:47 AM   #12
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Netlist

Or you could try at a friendís who has Cable or DSL.

/Hugo
Can't do that. Windows Update has to read my specific computer to send me updates. The only thing I could do would be to take my computer over to a friend's hoouse with a high bandwidth connection and hook it up , which would include installing his high speed modem, etc. Would take some doing.

Quote:
originally by Netlist
You'll have to hope your Internet connection doesn't time-out.
Lucky here, at least in Connecticut. My ISP, Yellowstone.net, which costs $10 a month, does not time out during downloads or as long as I am active. I could go on for hundreds of hours a month with no extra charge. Some ISP's do kick you off after two hours or so online, (although you can get right back on). Others, such as mine, do not.

Also, the phone usage isn't metered here, at least not in Connecticut. So I can stay on for 24 hours a day every single day and it doesn't cost me a dime over the basic phone charge.

I mean, I don't actually do that, I have a life, but I could if I wanted to.

From British and Irish cyber-friends, I know that over there, they have metered phone service, at least during the day. Hmmm, I should start a thread to see what Internet service is like worldwide.
Old 21st May 2003, 08:02 PM   #13
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium

Quote:
which would include installing his high speed modem
That's what I meant.

Quote:
From British and Irish cyber-friends, I know that over there, they have metered phone service, at least during the day
Lucky you! Here in Belgium the phone calls or Internet service is always metered, as far as I know.
For broadband connections, we pay a fixed monthly bill and can stay on-line 24/24.

/Hugo
Old 22nd May 2003, 12:29 AM   #14
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe

Default If you must use a dialup...

Keltikwizard,

In the UK you can now buy a generic V92 modem for £10.
Things are expensive here, compared with the 'States so I expect you could find one for $10.
You will be staggered at the improvement in performance. Assuming you don't live "in the sticks", you'll definately get a much higher speed, and the drivers will be supplied.

Cheers,
Old 22nd May 2003, 03:23 AM   #15
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Well, I don't know if Windows Update includes a new Windows Installer with it's Critical Updates or not. I did the first half of Windows Update, and did not see anything about an installer.

After going to Microsoft Downloads, I found the Windows Installer V. 2 for Windows 98 SE. I downloaded and installed it. It did not do well with the PCTel drivers-got General Protection faults and blue screens, a total disaster-but it did install the Lucent Agere modem with ease. So that Windows Installer update seems to be the answer.

Dhaen:

I believe that most of those "generic" V.92 modems are Host Signal Processing-that is the computer does the real work, not the modem card. Now that I know that a Host Signal Processor modem can work on this computer, I do believe I will shortly check out these V. 92 modems.

I doubt that it can increase the speed, though. When I moved from the neighboring town, my dialup connection speed went from 56 K to 28 K in the new neighborhood. So I don't think V. 92 can change that. I guess I would mostly be interested because I understand that you can talk on the phone while your computer is running with V.92. However, your suggestion has given me added momentum toward going V.92.

Okay, got another problem, but that is for another post. Thanks everyone so much for their help so far.
Old 22nd May 2003, 09:41 AM   #16

Keltic,

I checked the V92 hardware modems. They're £3 more here.
There is still a chance that you'll get more speed out of V92, because it uses some kind of adaptive EQ, and it remembers the optimised values from last time. So you never know

Cheers,
Old 26th May 2003, 06:44 AM   #17
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

So far everything seems to be okay. However, another issue.

A friend bought an identical computer to mine. I am setting it up for him.

The modem that comes with the computer does not have a driver on the Win 98SE disk. The device driver for it seems to work only if you use Windows Installer v.2. With the regular installer from the Win 98SE disk, it won't install.

He does not have a modem to contact Windows Update to get Windows Installer v.2

I do not have a CD recorder. therefor, I would like to put Windows Installer v. 2 on a floppy and bring it over to him.

The download for Windows Installer v. 2 is 1.62 MB. the capacity of a floppy is 1.4 MB.

Can I install this on two floppies just using Windows 98SE? Or do I need to download some file splitting program?

Any answer will be appreciated.
Old 26th May 2003, 07:53 AM   #18

Keltic,

AFAIK, there's no way to do it with just Win98.
Download a program called "Mastersplitter".

Cheers,
Old 26th May 2003, 07:58 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Win98 and newer ditched the old DOS "backup" program, which, surprsingly, did backups The easiest way would be to use PKZip (WinZip), LHA, Rar, or some other packer; these programs can distribute an archive among diskettes.
Old 26th May 2003, 08:09 AM   #20
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks again, Lisandro and Dhaen. I have ZipItFast and will check that out. I will also check out "Mastersplitter".

Hide this!Advertise here!