John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're long past able to make the reproduction chain far, far, FAR "cleaner" than any sort of capturing mechanism, or their fundamental limitation for reasonable microphones (what's the 23 ºC thermal noise baseline on various microphones vs an attendant low noise preamplifier and adc?).

Far far far may be somewhat an exaggeration. But acoustic noise from Brownian motion of air particles *is* the fundamental limit.

Last edited:
We're long past able to make the reproduction chain far, far, FAR "cleaner" than any sort of capturing mechanism, or their fundamental limitation for reasonable microphones (what's the 23 ºC thermal noise baseline on various microphones vs an attendant low noise preamplifier and adc?).

Far far far may be somewhat an exaggeration. But acoustic noise from Brownian motion of air particles *is* the fundamental limit.

Did you see my cute experiment in my LA article where one can easily observe the Brownian noise by coupling the input ports of two electret mics and looking at the outputs in and out of phase. There are now two diaphragms on the same acoustic loading chamber.

Did you see my cute experiment in my LA article where one can easily observe the Brownian noise by coupling the input ports of two electret mics and looking at the outputs in and out of phase. There are now two diaphragms on the same acoustic loading chamber.

Haven't yet, but the entirety of LA's old issues is on my list of "to-do's" now that I'm making more than a grad student. :D

Isn't there a participant on this thread, who designs power line noise filters for Monster Cable and even got issued patents on a few of them? Perhaps they can suggest ways to get maximum bang-for-the-buck when attempting to fix problems like Ed Simon encountered in post 91444.

Yes RNM did that and he suggested a particularly effective ferrite material. I actually have the Fair Rite assortment kit and will try that kind.

I also have a 20 amp balanced power toroid.

I think what was interesting is how the power line changed.

Demian,

As I read the electrical code the single phase normal outlet is allowed to go to 135 VRMS. In my case I get 3 phase, however there are neighbors who from the same three transformers only get 2 lines or 220/240 single phase so my Y 208 is really 225 volts which then gives the other folks adequate "220".

Now I don't object because it lowers my current drain and thus wire loss. The down side is my lighting ballasts failed early and got replaced with universal 110-277 types.

Dr. Derf,

Just write an article for Jan and trade each finished page for a back issue.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi Richard,
What did your boost levels kick the compression ratio up to?

NO2 is very hard on the pistons as well.

-Chris

For every 14.7 psi boost (at sea level) the CR is doubled. I was almost to 30 psig. Pistons that could take it didn't exist for this motor. I had custom forged made pistons produced by Aria - blower piston design. They produce for the top fuel dragster guys. A lot of tricks in them. Static Cr was 6.5 :1 with the longer, stronger rods I had installed. To prevent detonation at high boost, control of ignition timing and air-fuel ratios and fuel blends/additives would be the fine tuning.... major affect was quenched temps to just before det occurred using exact metered amount of a 50-50 mixture of water and alcohol injection. The dynamic CR was not just from piston CR or boost pressure but the cam profile. A good turbo cam profile will help build cylinder pressure.

The block had to be notched to fit a gas filled ring at the bore top. This ring would expand under extream pressure/temp and make a tighter seal between block and head. These were provided via a factory sponsored team car driver who gave me his extras. They were not sold to public and only from auto manf for their race teams. They worked extremely well for my situation but it would still lift the head enough and you would get some water jacket leakage down the side of the block. That's extreme pressure.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Very interesting Richard, and it is all engineering-development, much like we do for highest quality audio. I never went any way near that level of development, but I did have a light fibreglass sportscar that I modified the engine, exhaust and suspension. I put in a new Weber carb, milled the heads, added a 3/4 cam, changed the valve springs, and put a 'sport' coil on the ignition, but of course, this is nothing and nowhere compared to where you were at. I had this car from new for about 23 years, until it was destroyed in a firestorm. I read several books on tuning at the time, but I had no idea how far off I was from exotic performance. Still, I learned about auto engines, more than many of my critics here, that's for sure. It is engineering-development, just like audio design can be.
Like many here, I could never afford a true 'muscle' car or an exotic sports car, I have since made do with a couple of old Porsches, that showed me the fundamental limitations of my SAAB Sonnet that I loved, but never could be a 'true' performance car.

Last edited:
I find it very hard to get any kind of a clean noise floor for any measurements these days unless almost in a clean room environment. I can't help but think this is more important audio than crazy SNR or THD. A little analogy Dan think of the "music" as an audio equivalent of the pollution from smog, etc.
Those Youtube recordings are PITA type noise.

I'm sayin' that system intrinsic and system excess underlying noise can be pleasant or unpleasant and modifies/sums to the programme throughput.
BQP addresses this by reducing and modifying the system underlying noise, however it imparts/leaves a signature that is identifiable, and to my ear annoying/fatiguing/sub-optimal because of this.
My solution addresses induced and system noise without identifiable signature, ie the result is completely natural sounding and never fatiguing.
The answer to the Maxwell Demon arguments is that BQP and my TST filters modify system behaviour and not the actual input signal.
The system final output signal is different (and more pleasing) because BQP/TST filters reduce the actual system excess noise which is of course driven by the signal.
The result is less system noise/excess noise modulation of the throughput signal.
The trick is in getting the system excess noise behaviour to be more 'flat/white', and then system noise/excess noise subjectively disappears.
Ferrite filters do quite the opposite and are readily audible IME.

Dan.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I find it very hard to get any kind of a clean noise floor for any measurements these days unless almost in a clean room environment. I can't help but think this is more important audio than crazy SNR or THD. A little analogy Dan think of the "music" as an audio equivalent of the pollution from smog, etc.

That sure is the case around here. I can't seem to duplicate some measurements due to background noise without picking the right time of day. Metal paint can inside a screen room and my generator do the job.

It's surprising how much you can learn about physics by venturing into cars, especially older ones that tend to keep/require your constant attention.
Sonnet must have been a fun car, the Volvo P1800 looked great also, but the hardware just wasn't very sporty with that one. The Saabs did well in rally as I recall also.

I've been a car enthusiast for a long time too, make or adapt a lot of my own parts when I need something different since the aftermarket parts are mostly junk.

I was raised around tube amps, so when I experience the "different" noise in some transistor amps, it can be very distracting! Most of the old recordings I like were also made using tube equipment. Not that I'm going to go buy back my old stuff or anything, but the harmonics make a difference for certain. Maybe it's just what I am accustomed to, as a good bit of newer music isn't recorded or mastered so hot it seems to me anyways.

I think ferrites have a different effect depending on where they are, farther upstream the better I would say.

Those Youtube recordings are PITA type noise.

I'm sayin' that system intrinsic and system excess underlying noise can be pleasant or unpleasant and modifies/sums to the programme throughput.
BQP addresses this by reducing and modifying the system underlying noise, however it imparts/leaves a signature that is identifiable, and to my ear annoying/fatiguing/sub-optimal because of this.
My solution addresses induced and system noise without identifiable signature, ie the result is completely natural sounding and never fatiguing.
The answer to the Maxwell Demon arguments is that BQP and my TST filters modify system behaviour and not the actual input signal.
The system final output signal is different (and more pleasing) because BQP/TST filters reduce the actual system excess noise which is of course driven by the signal.
The result is less system noise/excess noise modulation of the throughput signal.
The trick is in getting the system excess noise behaviour to be more 'flat/white', and then system noise/excess noise subjectively disappears.

Dan.

I spend a lot of my time fighting noise in the real world... IF these products really worked I would be first on the list with a fistful of dollars, so any empirical proof to back up the claims, because both your self and Mr Bybee could become very rich from this. I wont hold my breath though because as far as the BQP we have had NO proof ever. So please elaborate on what a TST filter is...

Disabled Account
Joined 2012

Dan.

Yes, a ferrite would not give equal atten at all freq. However, I have not heard any noise at all in my system. Even with the very low background room level noise and high effect loudspeakers. In fact, the last time I heard noise was back in the LP days. And, more so if tube electronics was used. Since, I no longer use the LP as my primary source of music, I don't have any system noise. Now ac line pollution is another matter. But that can be eliminated as well.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I spend a lot of my time fighting noise in the real world... IF these products really worked I would be first on the list with a fistful of dollars, so any empirical proof to back up the claims, because both your self and Mr Bybee could become very rich from this. I wont hold my breath though because as far as the BQP we have had NO proof ever. So please elaborate on what a TST filter is...
Marce and guys, I have been subjectively trialling such filters in all manner of applications for a long time in order to be certain that this technique is not health deleterious in the short term or long term....the applications extend far past just audio.

I recently demoed to a guitar tech whose immediate comment was that the noise floor was lowered, and he wanted some on the spot.
I also have guitarists who have been full time trialling my filters on their backline (guitar and bass amps) for the past year and this has been proven to be their 'secret weapon'.
This particular band Vdelli is particularly good in it's own right, however venue audio guys, other bands and audiences have been asking why it is that Vdelli sound so good when other bands do not.

I witnessed this recently....a local pub ran an all Sunday blues festival, and prior to the first act I fully treated the PA system, ie filters on desk power, stage power, amp rack power, multicore cable both ends, speaker cables.
The second last act was a renowned blues band Dave Hole who sounded better than typically expected, however when Vdelli came on last act, the sound jumped to the whole next level.

Post show, the audio engineer remarked at length about how much he enjoyed the day's sound compared to the sound that he is normally able to pull on this system, that his ears were still fresh after 10 hrs behind the desk, and that very notable was an earlier act featuring harmonica and metal body resonator guitar...usually a certain recipe for ear bleeding, but in this case was clean, clear, detailed and no tinnitus inducing harshness.

I have also secretly trialled larger versions on Arena and Stadium power feeds and multicores with same results, and fellow local crew remarking on the sound improvement.
Other trials include car radio antenna, home tuner antenna, oscillator crystals...same result.

So enough of subjective reports, these filters do work to improve system sound, no if's, no but's.

I did some non rigorous loopback measurements a good while back and the result was significant reduction in ULF noise, in the order of 6-8 dB at 2 Hz or so and tapering off toward higher frequencies...100 Hz or so....iow reduction in system 1/f noise.
Think it through and it is to be expected that reduction in 1/f noise will yield new calmness and clarity in reproduced sound.
Like I said, the effect is in changing system intrinsic noise and signal induced noise behaviour which then allows signal throughput with less alteration, no Maxwell Demons to be offended.

The probable reason for no BQP data is that the correct testing has not been performed.....steady state signal does not reveal differences clearly.
I think pink or white or even 1/f noise needs to be the test signal in order to reveal system throughput changes.
Scott is correct in that the Videos he posted are useful test programme.
Witness that such noise type 'music' emerges from a top quality system as recorded, and from a typical consumer system as a cloud of offensive noise.
I am not aiming at the high end world, I am aiming at the typical consumer and muso.

At this time I can't reveal more than the above, nor my theories of operation.

Dan.

Last edited:
A design philosophy question to all :

How important is it to have constant distortion over the entire audio band ?

Suppose one design has a constant distortion of 0.01% (mostly H2) from 20Hz to 10kHz.
And a variant of the same design has a distortion of 0.0003% at 1kHz, but increases with frequency almost linearly to say 0.003% at 10kHz.
(so still lower but not constant)

Which design would be more desirable / competent ?

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.