John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The amp review in Issue 23 was really enlightening. Thanks SY.

I really don't understand why Stereophile, who does a very good measurement section, hasn't adopted the PowerCube or something similar so that consumers can get a good idea of the suitability of an amp for the speakers that they have. I've noted that the amps you've done have generally performed very well in that test. Some others actually smoked.

Thanks John,
I wasn't looking for the specification of the test but exactly what you had to say about the use of the test. I'll keep out of the car analogies, that is very subjective and mostly untrue to many times.

A.Wayne,
If you noticed what I said about the Phase Linear amplifiers you would have noticed that I did make the comment that they did handle heat well, that was not in question. They could sound good if not run up into thermal stress but for PA use that was much to iffy and usually they crocked under stress. They didn't stay in use with us very long I would have to say.

They were garbage i had them in the 70's, lasted 3 weeks before replacing with Bryston, never looked back , the MC2300 and sansui Ba5000 , were also better choices and we used those without any issues.

If Stereophile had and ounce of its original integrity , they would have canned that Mac and sent it back. McIntosh would have improved on it as they are capable of and the audio world would have been a better place. Sadly this is why audio is dead , too much of the same BS over too long a period. Fortunately the lack of integrity don't have a clue , rip the consumer dealers are finally disappearing, maybe its time for the rags who permeate such garbage to go too.

Cant wait .... :drink:

I really don't understand why Stereophile, who does a very good measurement section, hasn't adopted the PowerCube or something similar so that consumers can get a good idea of the suitability of an amp for the speakers that they have. I've noted that the amps you've done have generally performed very well in that test. Some others actually smoked.

That's a different amp , its not the same as the one tested by Stereophile .....

Phase Linear could be a pretty good amp for PA, IF they were made physically more rugged, and air cooled. I worked with two PA companies back in 1972 who used them. One was mostly for folk, the other was for the Pink Floyd. They DID need to be rebuilt.
The heatsink on the phase linear was inadequate
only a u .......... of too thin of material

A.wayne you are making a lot of criticism over very little. SOME people, with care, found that the Phase Linear 700 amps were useful. Others, like the Grateful Dead, went straight to MAC. Bryston was not on the chart when I was in the pro sound business.
To build stuff to MAC ruggedness and reliability, you PAY MORE than you would for Phase Linear. There is no doubt about it.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I used a Phase Linear 400 on Advents in the early 1970s. After repairing a friend's Harmon Kardon 19. I played it on the Advents as a final test before returning it. Immediately and surprisingly the lack of midrange and treble grain and improved resolution was obvious even at 1 or 2 watt average levels. The HK had less power, but sounded better at any level short of clipping - the first time I heard a significant difference in sound quality in power amps and I wasn't looking for one.

The Phase Linear blew often if clipped into 4 ohm loads in commercial applications we had. BGW 750 and Peavy CS 800 did a much better job.

Last edited:
Not sure i follow you John , the Bryston was bought in 78 , the phaselinear in 77, during that time we also used mc2300 and or BA5000, i also acquired a pr of MC3500's around the same time , all were better than phaselinear. A friend had a phase 400 , the output stage blew out from the picking made when the record he was playing ended , he was outside and saw the smoke ..:)

Even BOSE made a better amp than phaselinear at the time (76) , a family friend had one made to drive his 901's , i tried it , much better than phaselinear.. You should buy one of these poorly made amps John , nothing like spending ones cash to find out something is junk, audio is dead in the good ole US of A because people got tired of buying junk , pushed on them by unscrupulous dealers ...

Just saying ...

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The guy that wrote the exposé seems to feel genuinely passionate about the high end.

When everyone realizes that's this is a luxury goods industry where ALL the spending is discretionary and brand absolutely rules, then we'll stop harping on about all the bs that floats around with it. There's really very little between some of these audio reviews/recommendations and say, a bottle of perfume. The former takes the listener to new heights of aural ecstasy apparently, for which they have to part with thousands of $, while the latter turns any old hag into a luscious beauty for about $300 a bottle of rose water.

You and me will never convince some guy who's shelled out 50 big ones for a device that is technically flawed (remember the Zanden CD player review?) anymore than we could convince the perfume purchaser that she looks divine when the truth is altogether more obvious.

None of these customers buy on product performance . . . And they never will. The result, as with perfume, is that products are marketed on brand appeal and recommendation - which is how JA makes a living.

There's a story that went around in the UK a few years ago about a reporter asking the CEO of Harley Davidson UK who his biggest competitors were. Without missing a beat he replied 'conservatories and luxury holidays' (a conservatory is an atrium - the Brits like attaching them to their houses - typically a $20 k investment).

Perhaps JA should be given credit for seeing the industry as it is ;)

Last edited:
My pleasure. How about calculating an ~9awg star quad (12awg per conductor) that is moderately constrained (0.030 between conductors, Teflon insualted) and 5-6 twists per foot?
Wire pairs will run 100 to 150 ohms typically for normal spacing. If the star quad is wired correctly, halve the value.

Using a GR 1689M LCR meter down near the bottom end of the Ls range is challenging. To get repeatable numbers I use a 4 wire - to - 2 wire fixture and have to re-zero at each new frequency.

Excellent point. The setup parasitics may not be viewed identically at every frequency, so this is an additional error source if not compensated for.
By "parasitic inductance" are you referring to proximity effects from things like metal benchs, loops made in the cable under test, etc.?

Parasitic means additional entities there by accident. When the test leads or fixturing have their own inductance and that inductance is significant compared to the desired measurement, it needs to be considered. If you clip the test leads together, you will measure the parasitic of the leads.
As an aside, do cable AC parameters change appreciably at higher currents other than IR losses? Instead of testing cables at 1mA or 10mA for example, what happens with the increased fields at 1A? 10A? higher?

Thanks,
Dave

I would suspect linearity with level. If metals with permeability are involved, then the BH curve will introduce level dependent changes.

jn

To quote:
"inductance can only be properly understood if it is realised that it is only defined for a closed circuit.
What is usually meant by a statement about inductance is incremental inductance, such as that
caused by a length of wire if it were to be inserted into a closed circuit."

I couldn't have said it better myself..;)

George, when I find my resistors again, would you be interested in a .1 ohm CVR?

jn

Status
Not open for further replies.