John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan

All part of my article on power supplies. The AC mains to the circuit breaker box all the way from the power plant has a maximum resistance of .06 ohms to comply with code requirements. So much of the power line loss is in the branch circuit, outlet, power cord and connectors, switch and fuse.

I suspect turning the fuse holder around also could be measured, but it is easier to just try different fuses. That shows a reasonable amount of variance. The lesson is to use brand name fuses that are rate for about 80% of the current when you short the power transformer secondary.

Again I am of the OPINION that if you measure at extremes you can always find something.

ES

What I meant was to exclude the variations in fuse contact when swapping. If you just solder the holder around, that would give a cleaner comparison.

jan

So if the ear/brain connection is so hopelessly unreliable and fallible, why is it that everybody can instantly recognise any particular familiar human voice, even after extraordinary time span, and despite masking/distortion/eq when hearing that voice via pretty much any non natural means.
Spend enough time with any particular stereo system, and the voice of that system becomes familiar, and any changes to that system become instantly discernible.
Sighted testing is not invalid.

Dan.
Is it live, or is it Memorex, or is it Rich Little?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Now for a real question and answer I am sure one of you can answer for me. What I have observed is that the worst thing and only problem I have ever encountered with a cd is when it has some extremely bad scratches and can't play or just totally mis-tracks. I imagine that this causes either diffraction or refraction of the laser light source, but why can some cd players seem to play some disks like this while others can't do it at all? What differences are causing this ability for the laser to be capable or not of overcoming this situation?

I think there are several reasons and it will be a combination of these. The ballistics of the lens assembly comes to mind which will be very different on every player. I remember a 3 day Sony course where we looked at Bode plots for the servo loops, the number crunching was mind blowing and not really needed from a service point of view. Interesting though.

Of course it could just be that the player concerned has played that many scratched CD's that the error correction circuit has filled up and there's no room for any more :D

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Of course it could just be that the player concerned has played that many scratched CD's that the error correction circuit has filled up and there's no room for any more :D
Actually they just fall off the end of the shift register and pile up on the chassis floor. Some players have a pull-out tray that the diligent user can empty periodically. Recycling is a problem in some counties.

oh, you like your drugs. I've kind of gathered that from your posts. ;)

True, I did coke, LSD, uppers, downers, and inbetween.
Never crack or heroin though, I may be crazy, but not a fool, and I've never paid a single nickel for dope.

Anyone who takes homeopathic and/or regular medication, without an ail present, is a nut-case.
(Irrational example 1 on your shopping list)

If not a screw-loose, then if used by a layman, 'when possible' is a highly subjective term. (Irrational example 2)

Ed, thanks! Fuse size? What happens when you take the fuse out and replace it same way round? What's the order of magnitude of these distortions compared to the amp distortion? Any sense of the R&R?

edit: I see Jan anticipated this as well.

edit: I think an order of magnitude calculation of the heating is pretty easy, since that's your latest hypothesis. You can assume about 5 ohms per square conductivity of the aluminum. I can get heat capacity and conductivity (i.e., diffusivity) numbers for the polycarbonate, if you like. You can plug in a WAG for the magnet strenghth- credit cards are not relevant here, their strips comprise MAGNETIC particles.

I used a 500 mA fuse at 250Ma. This resulted in about 375 mV across the fuse. Distortion as I recall was a few percent. So the amp and transformer distortion are much less. (My AP is PCMCIA interface and the actual IBM PC I was using finally died. The cable connecting the screen to the smarts failed. So there are some files I will have to hunt for.)

So if you can hear 20mV of distortion on an AC line... -75 dB of power supply variation before the filter caps! So in a poorly designed supply with a small high resistance fuse the issue might approach being heard. But it is freaking simple to avoid it! If i get around to it I will try to measure fuseholder resistance. But it should be just milliohms.

So one important conclusion of the measurements is that all the power wiring from the power plant, through your house wiring, AC cord and connectors and switch are much less by almost an order of magnitude than the fuse in some cases!

The issue of CD magic is how thin the film is, not per se the conductivity. Of course the thinner the film the high the resistance, so the less the heating. The we would need to know the spin rate for the magnet etc. Now a better way to test if CD's can be annealed and improve the sound would be a microwave oven or even more practical a dip in hot water. If the gizmo produced heat you gotta think someone would have noticed!

So if anyone wants to test the theory all you need is two identical CD's, listen to them both to see if you can hear a difference and then dunk one in cold water and the other hot. A lot easier and less expensive than waving a magnet.

Working around large speaker magnets I have wiped credit cards, door keys, etc.

What I meant was to exclude the variations in fuse contact when swapping. If you just solder the holder around, that would give a cleaner comparison.

jan

As mentioned it is the fuse resistance that is dominant! But I may get around to trying that.

ES

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Is this the Stereophile article that you gents are hunting about the study of the green marking pen?

CD: Jitter, Errors & Magic | Stereophile.com

Google is my best friend!!! :p

One thing that comes out is how extremely complex this is!
And I was also happy to read:

"Fortunately, the CD format incorporates extremely powerful error detection and correction codes that can completely correct a burst error of up to 4000 successive bits. The reconstructed data are identical to what was missing. This is called error correction. If the data loss exceeds the player's ability to correctly replace missing data, the player makes a best-guess estimate of the missing data and inserts this approximation into the data stream. This is called error concealment, or interpolation. "

Correcting perfectly bursts of up to 4000 bits in length is no mean feat.

jan

:D Indeed. The stockpile of unused negative half cycles that accumulate at power stations is another big worry.

Around here the negative half cycles pile up on the east coast. The positive ones on the west coast. That accounts for the great polarization found in this country.

We did try shipping them by trucks and even freight trains, but it turns out when you get too many of the same charges they repel each other and break out of their containers. :)

Around here the negative half cycles pile up on the east coast. The positive ones on the west coast. That accounts for the great polarization found in this country.

We did try shipping them by trucks and even freight trains, but it turns out when you get too many of the same charges they repel each other and break out of their containers. :)

Just hire a few cheap, skanky protons and throw 'em in. That'll keep 'em contained for the duration.

se

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
And this touches on the problem in aviation, that near-disaster when all of the several Polish passengers went to look out at the scenery from the right-side windows, and the aircraft began to lurch and vibrate ominously.

Of course it was realized that the Poles were in the right half of the plane.

Anyone who takes homeopathic and/or regular medication, without an ail present, is a nut-case.
(Irrational example 1 on your shopping list)

But plenty of ordinary herbs and spices are quite medicinal, turmeric,saffron, etc. quite well documented and not based on folklore only. One must remember that homeopathy is based on dilution to virtual nothingness i.e. magic not herbal medicine.

But plenty of ordinary herbs and spices are quite medicinal, turmeric,saffron, etc. quite well documented and not based on folklore only. One must remember that homeopathy is based on dilution to virtual nothingness i.e. magic not herbal medicine.

At last someone who got my joke about magic resistors! :)

SY. That was fuse contribution. The difference between forward and backward should be almost 2 orders of magnitude less. So if you can't hear -115dB issues.....

For the post I missed before, rectifiers don't remove power line noise in most designs. The exception is of course in the blowtorch power supply. Filter capacitors work over several decades of frequency but power line sag is too low f.

Status
Not open for further replies.