John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving on: (if possible) Let me show what we USUALLY use for the 4Q input stage to cascode it. There are a number of advantages, including more real voltage across the input part to lower and linearize its inherent input capacitance.
Easier part selection, only 3 extra resistors (minimum) added, better high voltage standoff.
To my simple mind, the bias net of the cascode jfets is interesting, as itappears to be floating. What affect does this apparent intentional choice have on performanceor is it unimportant in the schem of things.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Seriously? I remember >30 years ago integrated amps tended to have an input sensitivity of around 250mV for full output. Then CD came along with the 2V max output standard. I would have thought everything else would have moved in the same direction in the interests of compatibility, maybe taking 700mV or so average output as a target for analogue sources.

(not that I've been paying attention the last couple of decades - I quit buying hifi magazines around the time I started buying baby food, not coincidentally)

Yes, you are correct about amplifier input sensitivity. The last 20 years or so, most power amps settled on c. 1V input sensitivity, with a cluster around 700-800 mV, and other at 1.5 to 2V. If you stick with 1V you will be in good company in general.

It is a shame that great jfets are harder to find, and have gone up in cost, but that is not a problem that I can fix. Actually, most really good bipolars are hard to get, too. It would appear that the most popular bipolars, today, are devices that I used more than 40 years ago. This is progress?
This jumps out at me. I watch these threads and see discussion of circuits that seem very educational, but realize that attempting to even experiment with the concepts would be a major hassle as far as parts sourcing.
It's depressing. Like, why bother. It's easier to get good tubes. How sad is that?

Forget about it

If you and a million others were willing to pay $25 for a JFET pair every time, it wouldn't be an issue.
You skipped the most vital criterium, the fact that vacuum valves still is a multi billion dollar business.

(two decades ago, the situation was reversed : folks got out of tube amps and into SS, as it became harder to find valves and/or decent OPT's)

If you and a million others were willing to pay $25 for a JFET pair every time, it wouldn't be an issue.

I would IF they were as close to nominal spec as a pair of tubes are. The problem is the three or four to one spread in gm and idss, meaning that I have to buy twenty FETs to get two I can use optimally (if I'm lucky and they're not all clustered over to the wrong side of the spec limits). In many circuits, you can design around this, but not in all- and unfortunately, not in the circuits where I like to use FETs.

Status
Not open for further replies.