John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pano,
You mean your dishwasher doesn't have the vinyl dry setting or the plastic cup setting! Yes it does get rather hot in a dishwasher if you dried vinyl, probably have a nice puddle of plastic on the bottom of the washer if you did that!

ps. Scott are you serious, the ammonia in the spray doesn't cause micro cracking like it does with polycarbonate or plexiglass? I never would have thought to use an ammonia formulation on vinyl but haven't looked up the chemical resistance of vinyl in the SPI materials listings.

Last edited:
Pano,
You mean your dishwasher doesn't have the vinyl dry setting or the plastic cup setting! Yes it does get rather hot in a dishwasher if you dried vinyl, probably have a nice puddle of plastic on the bottom of the washer if you did that!

ps. Scott are you serious, the ammonia in the spray doesn't cause micro cracking like it does with polycarbonate or plexiglass? I never would have thought to use an ammonia formulation on vinyl but haven't looked up the chemical resistance of vinyl in the SPI materials listings.

Never noticed a problem in fact I had two copies of the same record and found some of the ticks in the stamper!

Scott,
So your saying the resolution was such that you could identify a problem with the electroformed master that matched on both albums! That shows how well pressing to pressing the quality of the reproduction was in manufacturing the vinyl.

Yes the ticks in some cases even had the same shape as well as location. BTW I think the Wholefoods clear Windex replacement was just mild detergent, vinegar, and surficant. If you search you will find several rare record dealers admit they clean with straight Windex.

This was during my wild experiment days. Take a mono LP and record it twice then carefully line up the two tracks with the first lead-in pop you can isolate on both. The resulting "stereo" experience might surprise you, my VPI was not good on long term speed accuracy but the nature of the variations was interesting.

Last edited:
It is sad, I really like phono playback, yet I don't hear noise, rumble. Perhaps a few ticks and pops that I can readily ignore, but that is with a 'hi end' playback system and properly handled vinyl records. An exception to the rule, I suppose.
You have yet explained to me that i run a mid-fi system.
This said, i bet-you one million dollars i can recognize a vinyl blind any time.
Please don't tell me you never had surface and friction noises. Micro bubbles form themselves in the vinyl over time. And, with time, and despite all the precautions you can take (even just stock the record), you will hear some little sparkles.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
That would have been Benzene or Naptha I would think.
Lighter fluid is the latter. I would use any solvent for lipids with extreme caution except pure ethanol or isopropyl alcohol.

I have some "absolute" ethanol from ancient days when we used it as a "working fluid" in a heat exchanger. But it does have I believe a little benzene, and I made the mistake of using it on a stylus cleaning brush and putting the brush in a little cartridge container, which sat on the plastic lid of the turntable. The residue flowed down onto the lid and etched a nice and surprisingly deep ring on it, which I managed to almost polish out after a great deal of work.

The 95% ethanol would probably not do this.

Denatured alcohol would be fairly pure with some isopropol and ethanol mixed together. I remember once taking Ron Rico 151 and distilling it to pure ethanol, but it will not stay in that form very long it exposed to any air as it likes to absorb about 5% water if I remember correctly. Anhydrous alcohol is nice and flammable and I sure wouldn't attempt to drink it, it would make white lightning look like beer!

I'd guess that getting everything off the record after washing is the trickier bit. It occurs to me that if folks didn't own a vacuum record cleaner a pretty good spin drier could be made with a piece of 1/4-20 all-thread chucked up in a hand drill. A couple nuts, a few washers, bada bing. Might have to step outdoors first.

"All engineers are Scots, and all Scots are engineers." -Scotty

Thanks,
Chris

What interests me, is that I have a disk washer and have never used it for 20 years. I just store my records properly lightly dust them off with a record brush, and I don't have any problem. In fact, I think that most efforts to wet clean records can cause as much damage as it might help to improve them.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Denatured alcohol would be fairly pure with some isopropol and ethanol mixed together. I remember once taking Ron Rico 151 and distilling it to pure ethanol, but it will not stay in that form very long it exposed to any air as it likes to absorb about 5% water if I remember correctly. Anhydrous alcohol is nice and flammable and I sure wouldn't attempt to drink it, it would make white lightning look like beer!
The benzene is added to avoid the 5% water absorption I believe. And benzene is a pretty nasty carcinogen.

Commercial record washers use 25 to 50% alcohol in water, a few drops of Photoflo and/or Windex. Personally, I wouldn't do anything unless I could force dry it fairly quickly by removing the solvent liquid. Otherwise I'd just be moving gunk around.

Also personally, I find a huge difference between washed and unwashed records, and it's not an issue of noise.

Thanks,
Chris

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Status
Not open for further replies.