John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
There's an interesting tacit implication there- that if one is familiar with and appreciative of the arts, one can be perfectly happy being irrational and/or accepting of intellectual dishonesty. Even CP Snow would balk at that one.
One of the most irritating attitudes of an ex-friend, an emeritus professor of music, was that I, because of being as engineer by profession, couldn't really be any good at the arts. This individual is quite neurotic, and irrational as it suits his needs, his ex-wife recently remarking as well that he was "the most self-centered person in the world".

But there is a persistent, pernicious, and mostly-nonsensical idea that artistic "genius" must entail neurosis or worse, sometimes extending to insistence that we give special accommodation to their erratic and even destructive behavior. Sorry, not going to cut it.

Last edited:
elektroj said:
Reading all this I am wondering - how many of you, guys, are friends with creative people? You know - painters, composers, fashion designers, actors ..
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry! The most creative people I have known have been scientists and engineers; they understand and enjoy both the arts and the sciences. Their day job may be creating software or things, but in the evening they make music or write fiction. I know one engineer who at one time played timpani in a youth orchestra. I once knew another one who wrote (saleable) sci-fi. I knew a physicist who ran a small art gallery.

By contrast, much modern 'art' from 'creative' people is just mindless garbage. It involves no creative skills at all. In many cases the artist can't even make his own item and has to employ skilled craftsmen to make it. And, of course, most of them have no interest in or knowledge of science. Their ignorance is profound. They only survive because of state subsidies and fashionable nonsense pursued by rich people trying to impress other rich people.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest!

Last edited:
Wow! You remembered! I'd bet there are many on this DIYAudio who have no idea where a lot of the ideas they use came from or are reinventing the wheel As in the low Z foil cable connecting a remote supply to my MC pre-preamp: -->

Thx-RNMarsh

Excellent.

I've never read that magazine, but I devised the foil construct independently..

Who knew there were footprints in the snow?;)

Nice work. The credit is all yours.

jn

Max, I'm with you on this. I don't hang out with 'artistic types' much, anymore. But I remember well seeing my first Picasso's at the Museum of Modern Art in NY, then a few months later, the Municipal Museum in Amsterdam, back in 1965. I was 'ready' for it at the time, and I was often 'blown away' by something that, to describe it, would seem like 'nonsense' to many here.

Reading all this I am wondering - how many of you, guys, are friends with creative people? You know - painters, composers, fashion designers, actors ..

ermmm yes, I presume this was directed squarely at me? i'm the son of an art teaching, folk singing, creative writing and photographic hobbiest and teacher. but she has for the last 18-19 years, mostly been Desktop Publisher/editor and we always had a Darkroom in the house growing up (till she went digital after I taught her to use a 512K Macintosh). I worked in digital imaging/compositing, primarily for print. I also worked as a cook/chef while traveling and studying Multimedia, Film compositing and animation/games production.

I play and program/tweak keyboard and drums very unprofessionally and i'm a clearly and quite generally a gearhead, who has worked and played in the arts, audio (for fun primarily) and technology fields consistently till this day from my teens. Friends and Family include journalists, writers, amazing Singers such as Margret Roadknight, Doctors, jewelers, dole bludgers :p, musicians, urchins.... sparkies, mathematicians, philosophers, nurses, sculptors, painters, Architects and engineers etc etc. A good mix of all sides, but I would say primarily creatives, or, like me, creatives with a technical bent. Those that are in purely technical disciplines are often so into their chosen field that it becomes quite like art in its devotion.

I wonder why wanting to know why things happen by figuratively cracking it open, so I can try to fix enslave/inspire it to make fabulous music consistently, disqualifies creativity? perhaps you are confusing it with divinity? For me with DIY there is a discovery phase, a bowerbird phase, an implementation phase, another testing/discovery and/or troubleshooting phase, then (hopefully) a blissful satisfaction phase :D

Trinkets? Where have I promoted 'trinkets'. Do you mean that I have defended 'tweaks' or 'trinkets' made by others? Yes, I defend the right to try anything that might improve audio reproduction, EVEN if I can't make sense of it from my education and experience. I call it: "Keeping an open mind" perhaps others call it something else.

nope, I wouldnt call it that, often it happens because your mind is made up already. We arent talking about 'trying something out' that you have just mentioned in passing; we are talking about doggedly defending or promoting things that have dubious benefit at best, while attempting to assign it special properties

John why do you let these guys yank your chain, C'mon :)

no chain yanking, not even a little bit, its genuinely concerning, its baffling and its frustrating, that such a great designer that otherwise shows good instinct and very solid technical knowhow/ability, that has knowledge (and sometimes desire) to share; can soil that by asserting expensive/fantastic or fraudulent devices improve his designs, that I gather stand quite well on their own. these devices on the other hand are accompanied by nothing more than anecdotes, or stories.

+1, i told-you the same thing several time, John.

On my point of view, the first thing to do is to understand a phenomena if any (well defined in its environment) and correlate-it with know laws of physic or acoustic.
Most of us are really shocked when you go out of the logic or try to defend or promote the indefensible. And your unreserved admiration for all audiophiles overpriced products, whatever their quality, does not help to give credit to your image as an audio designer.
This said, disagreeing with you does not mean we hate or insult-you in anyway. It is a forum, we are here to exchange *opinions* and argues.

QFT, exactly my thoughts.

If you knew about me, you will laugh of yourself, elektroj.
Did-you mean that maintaining a scientific attitude as rigorous as possible when we work on technology kill our right brains ? Do-you think that real artists are not rigorous as well ?
yep, dont you know that blaspheme against the audiophile legend, slowly-but-surely erodes the soul of a man?

Last edited:
Hasn't a direct link between musical abilities and mathematical capabilities been established for decades now. Creativity and design goes hand in hand. Without creativity only rote thinking takes place, the me-to designers who can only repeat what others have done. A friend who is a mechanical engineer, vibration analysis, said that because of the discipline of engineering courses in college that most engineers are trained not to take chances, to be conservative. Thinking outside the box was discouraged in the name of safety margins. It takes a creative mind to break out of that type of thinking, to take the chances that go beyond the norm. The best engineers will have some form of creativity in their background somewhere, this is what allows them to think what could be instead of what has already been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.