John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Interesting app note, bcarso. I didn't know these variations existed.

I used to do a lot of work with cooled charge preamps. At one point I was reading a paper in which, observing the drain current, the low-temp JFET resolved single-electron capture and release trapping-center events, which could be tuned by the back gate voltage :eek: Now that was some pretty clean material.

My favorite part from that outfit is the one on the head of a pin, which leaves it up to the user to provide the low-loss dielectric for the support. For ultra-low-current cooled apps the typical borosilicate sealing glass is far too lossy, and plastic is at least as bad. Siliconix made some ceramic package devices that were precursors of SMD, but they were otherwise lousy. It may have been due to the adhesive used, as the ceramic looked like alumina and should have been low loss. I still have some in a drawer.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
bet you a dollar it is an OPPO-95 modified.

I've been tempted to spring for one of those in order to have a test bed for experimental I-V converters. I'd be interested to know what people in here think of them. They have been getting good reviews, especially considering the tariff. And my ancient Sony failed some years ago, the one that had manual adjustments for the highest-order bits, and as a result were sometimes misadjusted.

The Hitachi device will NOT WORK in that location because the pin-out is different. IF you must substitute, just use the Fairchild IRF devices, like the others on the BOM.
Pin out aside(which I can solve),if Hitachi K216/J79 laterals , rare and much more expensive , sonically better in cap mult. and amp itself position than BOM types?
I have a decent numbers of a/m Mosfets.

Pin out aside(which I can solve),if Hitachi K216/J79 laterals , rare and much more expensive , sonically better in cap mult. and amp itself position than BOM types?
I have a decent numbers of a/m Mosfets.

FWIW it takes ~ 1/2 volt to turn on the laterals as
opposed to ~ 3 volts for the verticals .........
(maybe not important for this app) ?

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I think they are quite good, and certainly worth the money. If they had
a couple of analog inputs....

:cool:
Thanks Nelson! I know some don't care all that much for the 9018 Sabre DAC, EUVL/Patrick for example preferring some older parts. And although the specs of the Sabre are impressive, it helps to know that the product sounds good too.

I confess I've had a problem with ESS ever since I found out the head a while back was named Skip, which was also the name of a grammar school nemesis whom I had to fight after school, an event that traumatized me for many years thereafter, despite the advice of my father who exhorted me to fight. Ironically, Doug "Skip" Adelman became a certified juvenile delinquent and, as part of his rehabilitation, wound up taking music lessons from my teacher.

But I know, with the Oppo, that I can do a lot better than opamp I-V converters :D

I used to do a lot of work with cooled charge preamps. At one point I was reading a paper in which, observing the drain current, the low-temp JFET resolved single-electron capture and release trapping-center events, which could be tuned by the back gate voltage

Are these pricey? Only one seemed particularly low noise, but for MM you now ground the gate and bias/feedback to the back gate. Don't know if this would be a curious use of an obscure device or downright useful.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
FWIW it takes ~ 1/2 volt to turn on the laterals as
opposed to ~ 3 volts for the verticals .........
(maybe not important for this app) ?

Well, sure, for one thing, when used as source followers there will be less headroom with higher Vt parts when used as powerline filters.

The cool thing about the laterals I've seen is the relatively low currents at which they have a nearly zero temperature coefficient of gate-souce voltage, something that you reach in conventional DMOS at impractical power dissipations. When operated at relatively low currents everyday DMOS have larger tempcos than bipolars.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Are these pricey? Only one seemed particularly low noise, but for MM you now ground the gate and bias/feedback to the back gate. Don't know if this would be a curious use of an obscure device or downright useful.

Haven't checked Scott. These appeared long after my days at UCLA, it seems. In those days the NucSci folks were extracting 4416s from the cans, or in the case of Bell Labs getting chips and putting them in low-loss headers.

> The cool thing about the laterals I've seen is the relatively
> low currents at which they have a nearly zero temperature
> coefficient of gate-souce voltage,

Yesamundo ! For AB amps nothing else even approaches
their simplicity of use.

Just so that everyone knows, Semelab makes improved versions of the Hitachi (Renesas) lateral output devices.

However, Renesas just announced the EOL for the lateral MOSFET drivers (J76-9/K213-6). The last date to order is the end of this year. The last date for delivery is next June. I contacted Semelab and they will NOT make a replacement for these. So if you want some, buy them now. There will never be another similar part from any source, ever...

It will get even more difficult in future to make truly excellent linear audio designs by the lay public and even part time professionals. The parts simply will not be available, except for companies or people who have stored up the parts, like Ayre, anticipating this shortage.

Last edited:
For completeness and maybe future discussions, I am posting a partial schematic of the 20 year old HCA-2200 MK-2, for people who might find one to fix up or to part out.

Attachments

• 2200 MK2.jpg
    2200 MK2.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 213
Status
Not open for further replies.