John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Just one illustration from the article:
The gray curve is a graph from the output of an amp with 0.05% THD, mainly xover. It's very hard to see ANY irregularity in the waveform.

However, when you weight the harmonics with Ian's new method and add them back in you get the black waveform and you can clearly see the nonlinearity. This would correspond much better to the sensitivity of the ear for this type of distortion.

This is from a simulation but actual measurements show similar results.

jan

This is great. Good work. More of this in every conceivable amp design etc and we will begin to learn something new. Maybe even which are more audible patterns. This is just the begiinng steps. Other patterns will emerge. More work like this is needed. We dont need to know so early about what is and isnt audible. Its all new info and who knows what we will learn about hearing etc. thx. -RNM

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
staking out a position, already? -

This "Beginning steps" were taken many times, but the problem is, people who are afraid of being "non-objective" always ignore them, because it is hard to prove which weighting is better. However it does not mean that absence of weighting is better, but it is "simpler" and more "scientific".

Staking out a position, already?

Personnaly, I am not interested in which is better right now. That may fall out of trying many and correlating it with other tests.

Its another view which can lead to new insights. new insights lead to other new tests. Insights may come from a new direction or person.

Thx,
RNM
Its 105 F here, today! and a/c crapped out ysterday. Went up on the roof and trouble-shot it and got the part and now we are really cool again. It pays to have multiple talents. :cool:

Last edited:
Staking out a position, already?

No. Patiently waiting until people get an agreement and discover on their measurements why my equipment sounds so good. :D

Its 105 F here, today! and a/c crapped out ysterday. Went up on the roof and trouble-shot it and got the part and now we are really cool again. It pays to have multiple talents. :cool:

3 years ago I painted the roof, now I use air conditioner in rare occasions. Like yesterday, when it was 105 degrees outside.

Roof paint to save electricity

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
the issue as I understand it... and it has been tis way a long time .... is that a baby step is attempted. Declared null and void immediately (expect 90+ failures for each success as normal). Then all stop right there. This happens many times. So stop with the rush to validate so we can move forward and see where that takes us further down the road of knowledge and understanding. Is there something to be found? Even if it just validates what you think - one way or another. Thats still better than this awful situation we have now - subjective vs objective debate forever. In the end, its all about learning. And, new views of even same info helps. If not you, then others.
-RNM

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
that's a great idea but not new -

3 years ago I painted the roof, now I use air conditioner in rare occasions. Like yesterday, when it was 105 degrees outside.

Roof paint to save electricity

If we were only looking for something new there as you are here --- My other place is white roof on a thick hard rubber-like membrain.... It was built that way... no need to paint it or repaint it. Mine is better than yours! :cheeky: BTW - Ive used snow roof on my other place around that a/c area..... finally got something better than Snow Roof on it!

Last edited:
Fooling an imagination is endless process. Sometimes it requires better components for selected topology, sometimes it requires better topology for existing components. It is endless road of solving equations with multiple variables, when in order to eliminate some errors you inevitably increase other errors. Each improvement leads to discovery of new variables.

If we were only looking for something new there as you are here --- My other place is white roof on a thick hard rubber-like membrain.... No shingles to replace and keeps it cool, like you said. Was built that way... no need to paint it or repaint it. Mine is better than yours! :cheeky: BTW - Ive used snow roof on my other place around that a/c area..... finally got something better than Snow Roof on it!

Mine is an ordinary roof covered by silicone (rubber-like) paint with metal salts that reflect 80+% of solar radiation. Quite effective, in terms of price/performance. Before that I used evaporating cooling, using garden sprinklers and electronic device that sensed brightness and roof surface conductivity. It worked, but consumed water. And drew attention of neighbours who suspected something wrong in sprinklers on the roof. Explanation why the roof is white satisfies them, especially when an information available from Internet. :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
value judgements -

Reminds me of a tech supervisor who didnt want to water his lawns. So he then covered the whole front lawn with rock/gravel... that redish volcanic stuff. Now he is so happy at the money and time saved to water it and mow it so it looks beautiful and cool to lay on. To each his own.... [never mind what it did to his relationship and property values.]

Waveb -- did you get the solar (UV) film on the sunny-side windows yet? makes a big difference too.

Last edited:
Waveb -- did you get the solar (UV) film on the sunny-side windows yet? makes a big difference too.

No, I recently replaced huge industry-grade skylight. Don't ask how I managed to find the replacement... What happened, I put a film on it, the film stuck, then oak pollen made it dirty, then one it's layer cracked... Now I am making remote controlled mirror blinds for it, from bronze-looking aluminium kickplates.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This "Beginning steps" were taken many times, but the problem is, people who are afraid of being "non-objective" always ignore them, because it is hard to prove which weighting is better. However it does not mean that absence of weighting is better, but it is "simpler" and more "scientific".

There's established research about masking of one tone by another. The masking is related to the distance between the 'carrier' and the tone being masked (or not), and of course the relative levels. A 2nd harmonic is relatively easily masked by a fundamental because it is close (only an octave). So with a pure 2nd, it cannot be heard when the level is, say below 1% of the fundamental. But, say, the 10th is not masked so easily because of the large frequency separation, so it can still be heard even if it is only 0.1% (I'm just making up the numbers for the narrative, the definite numbers will be in the article).

jan

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
No, I recently replaced huge industry-grade skylight. Don't ask how I managed to find the replacement... What happened, I put a film on it, the film stuck, then oak pollen made it dirty, then one it's layer cracked... Now I am making remote controlled mirror blinds for it, from bronze-looking aluminium kickplates.

DIY has draw backs.... namely experience. The right type of film for outdoor windows is applied to the INside of the glass. Cheaper than miror remote controlled blinds, too. lasts forever.

Without UV blocked BEfore the metal blinds -- just heats up the metal blinds and then both the blinds and the hot glass radiate the heat into the room.
You can also get UV film of different tint darkness or even mirrored .... great for those bathrooms with glass all around them.... on second thought ....

Last edited:
...on second thought, I will be able to close blinds when watching a move, and open when I want it to be light, regulating dispersion according to time of day. UV rays are good; we need UV rays particularly to produce vitamin D that is vital for our body. Also we need sun spectrum because LED lights fooling imagination as if the light is white actually disrupt feedbacks of our natural self-regulating organisms.

There's established research about masking of one tone by another. The masking is related to the distance between the 'carrier' and the tone being masked (or not), and of course the relative levels. A 2nd harmonic is relatively easily masked by a fundamental because it is close (only an octave). So with a pure 2nd, it cannot be heard when the level is, say below 1% of the fundamental. But, say, the 10th is not masked so easily because of the large frequency separation, so it can still be heard even if it is only 0.1% (I'm just making up the numbers for the narrative, the definite numbers will be in the article).

If you publications Johannes convince at least Stereophile magazine to accept more realistic measurements you may call it "mission accomplished". Bravo!

jan

In Stereophile I've seen some amps with no feedback and high distortion and lots of harmonics that decrease in amplitude with frequency. They often get great reviews and recently a reviewer called one the best amp he's ever heard. So, perhaps each of the harmonics are masking the higher one? Or perhaps it's just a matter of getting the overtones of the amp to sound non-offensive. Or both.

John

It seems that no matter what we do to attempt to get a better 'measurement' of audio electronics is 'blocked'. Some think that all amps and preamps are essentially the same, anyway, so why bother? Others think that THEIR hi fi designs are among the best in the world, yet nobody outside their family circle has ever heard them.
Still others don't want to invest in the highest quality, due to not having enough cash free, and they mostly use MP3. CD maybe, for special occasions.
This business of weighting harmonic distortion goes back at least 75 years.
The 'Radiotron Designer's Handbook' is a good source for early work.
There, they wanted to put a multiplier on every harmonic and then divide by 2 to get the weighting number for each harmonic, so: 2nd=1, 3rd=3/2, etc.
Later research showed through listening tests (whatever they did) showed that a steeper weighting factor was better. A good approximation is n(squared)/4. So: 2nd=1, 3rd=9/4, 5th=25/4 and 7th=49/4 or more than 12 times 2'nd.
Amazingly, the Gedlee weighting is almost the same as n(squared)/4 with a few exceptions. Seems that they are on the right track.
So what is the beef? Why not adopt a weighting filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.