John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even different power outlets have a big impact on the sound, though I have no clue why is it so.

Big effects I am not so sure of. But since audio gear draws large peak currents albeit small RMS ones differences in source resistance of the AC will reduce peak power available and the actual operating voltage of unregulated circuitry.

Actual audio gear current draw at 100mv/amp. From a 120 Volt AC line.

Attachments

• CKV400 Input Current 100mv-a Full Load.JPG
    CKV400 Input Current 100mv-a Full Load.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 220
serious challenges to the physics I currently believe
I think it is clear from my comment that I was talking about learning physics from MIT et al, not audio. You appeared to be suggesting that I have a closed mind because I still believe what I was taught at university. As you were not there at the time, you will have no idea what things I challenged and questioned. Suffice to say that I don't believe things just because someone told me to!

Some of the things claimed by certain audiophiles are simply bad physics; some are not even that good, being essentially empty phrases and recycled buzzwords. I am not a hard-line objectivist, but I am certainly not a wooly-minded post-modern 'audiophile' either.

Yes.

But so what?

Most any instrument you care to name produces 7th harmonics. And 9th, and 11th, and 13th, 14th, 15th, and so on.

But I don't see anyone saying these instruments sound like crap because they produce 7th harmonics or any other harmonics that are dissonant with the music scale.

Maybe those who insist on only listening to music made with pure tones would have a problem with these harmonics. But beyond that, I don't see any particular merit to the argument.

se

Steve, the problem with the 7th harmonic is that it sounds flat and shitey. Sure, it exists in the overtone structure of instruments but that's for flavour, timbre. You don't want to add more of it in your reproduction system. It sticks out.

See here:

Avoiding the 7th harmonic

It's been a problem for for Western and Eastern musical theorists for over two thousand years.

I never said that audiophiles perform tweaks after reading. More likely, they read a few books and then offer spurious 'explanations' of what they believe they have heard by using buzzwords learnt from the books.

I offer no explanations, neither to myself nor to others.
I care about the way any change affects the sound of my system, I don't care much about explanations, because of I know that probably there are no valid explanations.

That must be why I generally ignore anything that type of 'real audiophile' says. Wiser people have heard of the placebo effect, and so don't fully trust their own ears let alone other people's ears.

You ignore what audiophiles say based on the assumption that what they say is based on placebo effect only. It seems that you never really examined this assumption of yours.

The amusing thing is that those 'objectivists' who discard any phenomena they cannot explain, in the name of truth, reality and science, do it in the most unscientific way, out of unchecked assumptions.

Big effects I am not so sure of. But since audio gear draws large peak currents albeit small RMS ones differences in source resistance of the AC will reduce peak power available and the actual operating voltage of unregulated circuitry.

Actual audio gear current draw at 100mv/amp. From a 120 Volt AC line.

Well, you are not sure about the big effect. To my experience, to my ears, the effect is very big.

Again, I don't know how and why.
It may well be the large peaks current draw and it may be something else. However I have no clue as to why there are such big differences in the sound of my system between power distributors from different makes (both are costly distributors from well known Japanese makers).

Hearing is believing, in this case.

Dr. Bose taught at MIT. Should we then all buy Bose?

No but on the other hand, I wouldn't dismiss everything he has to say out of hand like so many do. This is especially true for the things he claims to have measured...such as 89% of the sound heard 16 feet from the performing stage of Boston Symphony Hall being due to reflections...and the percentage increasing the further back in the hall you get. This room is the best room for listening to music in the United States and one of the two or three best in the world according to Leo Beranek the famous acoustician. Finding out why and what can be done to duplicate what it does to the greatest degree possible using electronics might be a real path to better music recording/reproducing machines. It would almost surely be more profitable towards that end than fretting over whether an expensive tweak is barely perceptable or totally inaudible.

About 150 years of experimental psychology.

Psychology proved that there is placebo effect.
None of you here can possibly know for a fact that what I hear in my system is placebo effect, none of you have a clue as to how I evaluate the effect of various changes and tweaks to my sound system.

The attempt to argue 'scientific approach' based on hypothetical assumptions is pathetic.

From experience I know that almost everything affects the sound of an audio system, though many times I don't know how and why. Even different power outlets have a big impact on the sound, though I have no clue why is it so.

Have you ever considered that the real source of problems is the inferiority of 50 hz power compared to 60 hz power? More ripple at a lower frequency. More time between peaks to recharge power supply filter caps. What brand of motor-generator set sounds best to you. Have you considered 400 hz? I think the German company Pillar makes some fairly good ones.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]The amusing thing is that those 'objectivists' who discard any phenomena they cannot explain

It is not so amusing because it is not true. Those who you call 'objectivists' do NOT discard any phenomena they cannot explain.

It should be clear for those who read these posts here, but maybe it needs to be restated once in a while again.

I am not assuming that you deliberately tell these lies but it gets harder and harder.

jan didden

Status
Not open for further replies.