John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soundminded, this is where you go astray. Jack could use a cheaper resistor, BUT it would not work as well for what he is doing, compared to what he is using.

Which begs the question - what IS he doing? And how, given the lack of ANY published data (you know, that stuff that arrives after rigorous testing and measurement...) from the manufacturer, is it possible to say that ANY specific component is included or rejected on the basis of its performance or specification?

I would also like to correct a problem with the LEADS used in the cheapest (still expensive) Bybee devices. For the cheapest Bybee devices, Jack uses 'COPPERWELD' a military specified type of lead, with a steel wire center and a copper tube on the outside. This gives MOST of the advantages of copper, and the strength of steel for military applications that might be exposed to heavy vibration. The reason Jack uses Copperweld is to be able to weld, rather than solder the leads to the resistor material. Jack also sells silver and gold leaded versions of the same product, that are normally used by more 'uptown' clients. They are plainly shown on his website.
Now PERSONALLY, I would prefer pure copper leads, but then it depends what they are connected to. For example, film resistors might be more easily connected without welding, such as using soldering. Then, copper is OK, and really better. In any case, Pacific resistor typically uses COPPERWELD to make their products, as they tend to make products for the military, according to their website.
In any case, the leads should not be called copper as is printed on Jack's website, or steel, but COPPERWELD, which mostly acts like a copper tube.

I guess then that the "uptown" devices use Pacific resistors (for welding) with a gold or silver plating on the leads.

It isn't for sale to the public. You are the public, so you are excluded. It is a proprietary part, sold only to certain companies. Now, WHY it is a proprietary part is what makes it interesting, not whether YOU can buy it or not.
By the way, some of the resistors that I gave you have leads attracted by a magnet. Are they iron too?

It isn't for sale to the public. You are the public, so you are excluded. It is a proprietary part, sold only to certain companies. Now, WHY it is a proprietary part is what makes it interesting, not whether YOU can buy it or not.
By the way, some of the resistors that I gave you have leads attracted by a magnet. Are they iron too?

If they are glass wrapped resistors then it is Kovar leads, all sorts of other leads are in use for various reasons by the manufacturer.

Wrinkle

Maybe in boat building or cooking.

Restaurant business : markup factor of 5-6
Yachts, 60% material + 40% labor guideline (plus ~20% seasonal markup on the total)

High-End vanilla pod : vacuum sealed and roughly 9" in length, not the "around-the-corner" variety. :clown:
=>

Attachments

• pod22.jpg
    pod22.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
if they manufactured television sets the way high end audio equipment manufacturers manufacture their products you'd have to take a second mortgage out on your house to buy one.

Not exactly true, even back in the CRT days, the TV industry also had a High-End section.
For example the Spectra series by Nordmende in Germany, way back in the 1970s.
During the last two decades of traditional tube series, a Loewe set was a TV repairman's wet dream ; fully modular, PCBs and parts of the highest quality.
Global society nowadays is so screwed up that the individual can even opt to spend several million bucks on a TV set, covered in aligator dick skin and laid-in diamonds.

"High End" is also about longevity, service grade, and good looks, imo.
Maybe you still favor rebranded Hafler MOSFET amps by Sound Values, personally i fancy stuff that sounds, smells, and looks both good and solid.
(similar to a Ralph Lauren polo or a classic thick cotton shirt, they still feel and look 100% after the 100th wash or dry cleaners, or +$200 shoes)

Restaurant business : markup factor of 5-6
Yachts, 60% material + 40% labor guideline (plus ~20% seasonal markup on the total)

High-End vanilla pod : vacuum sealed and roughly 9" in length, not the "around-the-corner" variety. :clown:
=>

My experience is that high end restaurants do 4 to 1 to 3 to 1, and don't tell me about boats. 12V fan for boat $75 for cottage $9.95.

Scott,

Acoustical Society of America - A Pictorial Understanding of Organ Jet Physics is one of the studies of how sounding works in an organ pipe past the basic level that you seem so intent on following. It shows how the harmonics develop and mentions the off frequency start up mode until a non linear trigger level is reached. (I'll leave out the term of buckling mode since that is influenced by my structural engineer friends.)

A metal sphere does not have the same behavior as a resonant cavity. If you look hard enough at anything you will find differences.

ES

Boy ED are we talking about different things. Non-linear fluid dynamics is not what I was talking about. Drop a grain of sand on a brass pipe and the mechanical system rings even if you can't hear it. As that paper said a metalic resonator works down to 10^-20m deflection linearly. The math is easy if a 1000kg weight deflects a steel bar 1mm a .1mg fly deflects it 10^-13m there are still 7 orders of magnitude to go.

As far as i know most 3 Star Michelin restaurants in France do not make any money at the moment. I saw a TV documentation about that last year. The loss is covert by big luxury brands that keep them open for prestige. Also a lot of High End Audio companies are suffering if it whould not be for buyers in the far east. Anyway, in general i agree that audio got rediculous expensive in many cases without measurable gain over more affordable stuff, not to mention high class DIY as seen here sometimes.

Eating in Europe is so different that it's hard to compare. Turning a table over is unheard of at a fine restarant in France, it's yours for the evening.

It might seem fun but the confrontation is not pleasant; we book a 7PM table, the waiter advises us that our table is booked at 9PM for another group, we advise him that that's his problem, the owner come out we repeat our message and advise her that if we have to leave we won't pay and besides the food sucks. In the end we left early, paid, and all just felt bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.