John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 991 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2011, 09:03 PM   #9901
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Well, Ed, disagreeing with you is always a pleasure. Best case, I learn something new. Worst case, you learn something new.

"PVA" is an ambiguous term- it can mean "polyvinyl acetate" (which is a component of the record fomulation and not used as a release- it's a glue) or "polyvinyl alcohol." The acronym "PVOH" has no such ambiguity, which is why we polymer geeks use it in this context. The "OH" indicates "alcohol," since the hydroxyl group is the defining feature.

PVOH is absolutely soluble in water, and absolutely will wash off. The high solubility is one reason why its use in food contact packaging is restricted to inner layers in a multilayer system.

If the hypothesis of a bumpy record with PVOH as Bondo is correct, then wet washing will make records noisy. It doesn't. End of hypothesis.

Well that would leave the moisture has caused a non-uniform movement in the records surface or you have deposited something.

So what is your hypothesis?

Or do we need a chemical engineer to do rate equations?

Bill that monk from Occam England had some rules on explanations.
Old 19th February 2011, 10:45 PM   #9902
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Well, like I said, my hypothesis is cratering of the vinyl from some sort of skid-slam mechanism. Wet play after damage doesn't show the damage well because the craters are more or less "filled in" by the fluid, which doesn't undergo shear. A micro examination of a formerly wet-played disk would determine if that hypothesis is valid or incorrect.
Old 19th February 2011, 11:03 PM   #9903
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
As I wrote above, you believe you see things in perspective, while to me, before you'll demonstrate your theories in practice, your words are empty.
You don't get a United States patent for a revolutionary type of sound system for empty words. And I do have a working prototype.
Old 19th February 2011, 11:09 PM   #9904
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Your idea might be the greatest thing ever, but a patent or lack of one is irrelevant. Of course, so is going commercial- there's lots of great diy stuff, lots of crappy-but-hyped commercial stuff.

A patent can be substantial- or it can be "empty words."
Old 20th February 2011, 12:01 AM   #9905
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Your idea might be the greatest thing ever, but a patent or lack of one is irrelevant. Of course, so is going commercial- there's lots of great diy stuff, lots of crappy-but-hyped commercial stuff.

A patent can be substantial- or it can be "empty words."
Well said.
Old 20th February 2011, 02:19 AM   #9906
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Sy,

Scott,

The interesting unasked or unanswered question always was, "Was anything or anyone else aboard his submarine?"

ES
Nope, I was there tonight he was DJ at the USO in Thule Greenland during the Vietnam war, as hs says "put me anwhere there is no shooting". He has the largest collection of stoner rock you could ever see (the liner notes are a real treasure). We pondered the water question over a bottle of 1975 Lascombes and came to no conclusion other than only the Pickerings seem to stand up to the abuse.
Old 20th February 2011, 02:36 AM   #9907
diyAudio Member

> You don't get a United States patent for a revolutionary
> type of sound system for empty words.

Thank You,
Amar .........
Old 20th February 2011, 04:37 AM   #9908
TerryO is online now TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsware View Post
> You don't get a United States patent for a revolutionary
> type of sound system for empty words.

Thank You,
Amar .........
+1
Old 20th February 2011, 04:51 AM   #9909
diyAudio Member

This whole idea of 11% direct and 89% indirect sound was postulated by Dr.Podzus back in the 40th. His nephew Manuel Podzus has shown me an old picture with a spaeker with multiple wideband drivers also developped by Dr. Podzus so his ideas where simply stolen.
Old 20th February 2011, 05:13 AM   #9910
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundminded View Post
You don't get a United States patent for a revolutionary type of sound system for empty words.
Yes, you can. It's done all the time. Hell, they're still issuing patents for perpetual motion devices.

se

Hide this!Advertise here!