John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 953 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2011, 02:15 AM   #9521
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Not exactly true, even back in the CRT days, the TV industry also had a High-End section.
For example the Spectra series by Nordmende in Germany, way back in the 1970s.
During the last two decades of traditional tube series, a Loewe set was a TV repairman's wet dream ; fully modular, PCBs and parts of the highest quality.
Global society nowadays is so screwed up that the individual can even opt to spend several million bucks on a TV set, covered in aligator dick skin and laid-in diamonds.

"High End" is also about longevity, service grade, and good looks, imo.
Maybe you still favor rebranded Hafler MOSFET amps by Sound Values, personally i fancy stuff that sounds, smells, and looks both good and solid.
(similar to a Ralph Lauren polo or a classic thick cotton shirt, they still feel and look 100% after the 100th wash or dry cleaners, or +$200 shoes)
First of all, back in the 1970s German workers didn't earn the kind of huge salaries they do today. Second, they had a captive market, an elite upper class who were so rich money meant nothing to them. Tariff policies allowed them to protect their domestic markets. However, I saw a lot of so called high end European equipment of many kinds including both consumer and industrial equipment both here and when I lived in Europe. I was not impressed by most of it then, I am not impressed now. It strikes me that even the best of it was over priced and underbuilt while average consumer equipment was junk. Example, my Thompson TV set that suffered among other things an internal explosion when a capacitor blew up during an electrical storm. Another, my friend's electric blanket that caught fire and nearly burned him to death. Even plumbing fixtures that looked like they were chrome plated brass were actually made out of the cheapest plastic. Electrical standards seemed non existant. Very dangerous.

I learned the skills of wiring and soldering electronic components from a quality control manager of a high tech military electronics firm. The MOSFET amp I built as a kit was assembled to high standards and has given no problems from the moment I turned it on 18 years ago to this day. I'm only sorry I didn't buy more of them when I had the chance. It was cheap and performs to my satisfaction. It seems to work very well even with the difficult 4 ohm load of AR9s. On another site, one guy reported that he had a Krell amplifier that kept blowing up. Eventually after replacing the output stage several times Krell traced the problem to a defective capacitor in the power supply. Must have been a quality control failure to have let it get by. Must have been a failure of troubleshooting skills to fix the consequences while failing to get to the root cause of the problem. That's typical of many so called high end audio equipment failures I've heard about. Overpriced, underbuilt, and easy to reverse engineer and build at a fraction of the retail cost if anyone really cared to. And the justification for megabuck speakers....furniture grade cabinets most of which will eventually suffer dings, water stains, and cat pee.
Old 6th February 2011, 02:18 AM   #9522
diyAudio Member

Good, we don't like your kind around here, AND you didn't invite ME and I live only a few blocks away. '-)
Old 6th February 2011, 02:19 AM   #9523
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Would have been happy to but I didn't know you then.
Old 6th February 2011, 02:22 AM   #9524
diyAudio Member

They are pretty snobby at Chez Panisse, but I found the food, excellent, mostly. I just hate the reservations, even for lunch. I eat next door at C-----.

Last edited by john curl; 6th February 2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 6th February 2011, 02:48 AM   #9525
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
We had this happen at Chez Panisse (I was with the infamous Callahan). Won't be back.
It seems to me high end audio equipment and high end French restaurants have much in common. BTW, when you eat there, do you have to order two meals to feel filled up if you come in with a really big apetite?

Garkon, bring-ay-mwoi le ketchup for le beefsteak sill-vooose-play.
Old 6th February 2011, 03:23 AM   #9526
diyAudio Member

Quote:
.....if you tried to open it, the .025 ohm 'resistor' inside would not look like anything that you have ever seen, perhaps Jack Bybee is up to something more than putting a resistor in the line.....
Hi John, can you describe the resistor internals ? (Are you allowed to?.)

Eric.
Old 6th February 2011, 03:36 AM   #9527
diyAudio Member

No, I can't.
Old 6th February 2011, 03:46 AM   #9528
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Eating in Europe is so different that it's hard to compare.
I know. Besides holding our knives and forks in opposite hands, here first we chew, then we swallow. Over in Europe they do that the other way around too.
Old 6th February 2011, 12:21 PM   #9529
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Good, we don't like your kind around here, AND you didn't invite ME and I live only a few blocks away. '-)
Haha.
Old 6th February 2011, 12:49 PM   #9530
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundminded View Post
It seems to me high end audio equipment and high end French restaurants have much in common. BTW, when you eat there, do you have to order two meals to feel filled up if you come in with a really big apetite?

Garkon, bring-ay-mwoi le ketchup for le beefsteak sill-vooose-play.
I just knew that there is something about you!

Hide this!Advertise here!