John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 952 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2011, 12:00 AM   #9511
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Bamboo (but i'd fancy one milled from solid billet 6061)
Old 6th February 2011, 12:06 AM   #9512
diyAudio Member

Uber cool!

Sorry, OT.
Old 6th February 2011, 12:52 AM   #9513
diyAudio Member

I would hope that this set of questions regarding Bybee have been satisfied, and that we can get back to more typical challenges to analog circuit design.
Old 6th February 2011, 01:43 AM   #9514
diyAudio Member

Almost. If I wanted to find out if Percy Audio stocks the 0.025 ohm version (versus 0.3 ohm), I should email him, or would you happen to have an idea ? (I have a four-wire ohm meter to measure the difference, but I'm not sure if Michael does.)

Old 6th February 2011, 02:05 AM   #9515
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Restaurant business : markup factor of 5-6
Yachts, 60% material + 40% labor guideline (plus ~20% seasonal markup on the total)

High-End vanilla pod : vacuum sealed and roughly 9" in length, not the "around-the-corner" variety.
=>
My experience is that high end restaurants do 4 to 1 to 3 to 1, and don't tell me about boats. 12V fan for boat $75 for cottage $9.95.
Old 6th February 2011, 02:13 AM   #9516
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Scott,

Acoustical Society of America - A Pictorial Understanding of Organ Jet Physics is one of the studies of how sounding works in an organ pipe past the basic level that you seem so intent on following. It shows how the harmonics develop and mentions the off frequency start up mode until a non linear trigger level is reached. (I'll leave out the term of buckling mode since that is influenced by my structural engineer friends.)

A metal sphere does not have the same behavior as a resonant cavity. If you look hard enough at anything you will find differences.

ES
Boy ED are we talking about different things. Non-linear fluid dynamics is not what I was talking about. Drop a grain of sand on a brass pipe and the mechanical system rings even if you can't hear it. As that paper said a metalic resonator works down to 10^-20m deflection linearly. The math is easy if a 1000kg weight deflects a steel bar 1mm a .1mg fly deflects it 10^-13m there are still 7 orders of magnitude to go.
Old 6th February 2011, 02:19 AM   #9517
diyAudio Member

As far as i know most 3 Star Michelin restaurants in France do not make any money at the moment. I saw a TV documentation about that last year. The loss is covert by big luxury brands that keep them open for prestige. Also a lot of High End Audio companies are suffering if it whould not be for buyers in the far east. Anyway, in general i agree that audio got rediculous expensive in many cases without measurable gain over more affordable stuff, not to mention high class DIY as seen here sometimes.
Old 6th February 2011, 02:42 AM   #9518
diyAudio Member

Eating in Europe is so different that it's hard to compare. Turning a table over is unheard of at a fine restarant in France, it's yours for the evening.

It might seem fun but the confrontation is not pleasant; we book a 7PM table, the waiter advises us that our table is booked at 9PM for another group, we advise him that that's his problem, the owner come out we repeat our message and advise her that if we have to leave we won't pay and besides the food sucks. In the end we left early, paid, and all just felt bad.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 6th February 2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 6th February 2011, 03:00 AM   #9519
diyAudio Member

johnf, you should contact Michael Percy, but I would bet that they are .025 ohms. Have been for a long time.
Old 6th February 2011, 03:14 AM   #9520
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
It might seem fun but the confrontation is not pleasant; we book a 7PM table, the waiter advises us that our table is booked at 9PM for another group, we advise him that that's his problem, the owner come out we repeat our message
We had this happen at Chez Panisse (I was with the infamous Callahan). Won't be back.

Hide this!Advertise here!