John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 9331 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2017, 12:58 PM   #93301
Waly is offline Waly  Umm al-Qaiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Meh. Money doesn't impress me.
Me neither, but Mr. Marsh believes we are.
Old 19th June 2017, 01:08 PM   #93302
PMA is online now PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
The electrical length of the connector is 40 psec or so and as far as I can find out the rise time for SPDIF is 20 nsec at best or about 2mV in 40 psec. I can't see this being observable considering some of the internal wiring I have seen.
How typical. The photo would show the "audiophile ambivalence"
Old 19th June 2017, 01:50 PM   #93303
diyAudio Member

Just look at the number of high end amps that have expensive RCA connectors then use ribbon cable internally!
Old 19th June 2017, 02:00 PM   #93304
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waly View Post
Me neither, but Mr. Marsh believes we are.
I was amused when a friend went to a special clinic in another state for a new outpatient knee repair procedure. They told him up front the cost depends on your insurance as low as $17,000 for Medicare, but if you were paying yourself it was $50,000.
Old 19th June 2017, 02:08 PM   #93305
diyAudio Member

Medicare pays a small fraction of the list price, and insurance companies pay a larger fraction of the list price. And people with no insurance who don't request a discount prior to accepting services are the only ones that actually get charged list price.

The insurance companies always bargain very hard and use all the pressure they can to pay as little of list price as possible.

If a hospital only had Medicare patients, it would go out of business.

The list price is set so that between all sources of payment, the hospital makes a small profit, maybe 5% or so.

On the other hand, I read in the news that the British National Health Service is struggling to get by with insufficient funding.

Last edited by Markw4; 19th June 2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 19th June 2017, 02:32 PM   #93306
hhoyt is offline hhoyt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Get a Benchmark DAC-2. It is better than DAC-1 in several ways... test and listening-wise (yes, it is more transparent). [don't say it is too expensive... use a credit card...] You will be a happy camper for a very long time IMO. -RNM
I have a lot of respect for Benchmark, I've been using their amps for a while. I have to say I have two favorite DACs for two different purposes: For home listening I really like the absolute smoothness and lack of trouble reproducing differing formats I get from the Auralic Vega, it just seems to be effortless and offers a choice of filter and PLL topologies from the front panel...a nice piece of engineering. For portable use I love the PonoPlayer. While the whole Pono scheme was open to debate, Charles Hansen knocked it out of the park with the audio performance of that player. It is within spitting distance of some very expensive DACs I've listened to at 1/10th the price, even offering a balanced output mode that makes HPs like the Senn HD800s sound fantastic..

Just my $0.02 worth...
Howie
Old 19th June 2017, 02:36 PM   #93307
diyAudio Member

Regarding DACs, a very new one is Crane Song Solaris. I am aware that a couple of major mastering labs recently each bought one.

Also, I heard Crane Song is talking about making the new DAC available as a retrofit module for my old Crane Song HEDD, and also for Avocet. If they every manage to do it, the upgrade sounds like a no-brainer, if the price isn't too crazy that is.
Old 19th June 2017, 03:02 PM   #93308
diyAudio Member

JN

Here is the picture. Interesting to note that with the zoble the ringing stays the same but the level does go down. I would have expected with the greater mismatch for some other change.

(Again 100M WPW225 into JBL 2413 1 Hz square wave high passed 10 uF into 5 ohms, looking at load.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zobel Ringing.jpg (219.0 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by simon7000; 19th June 2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 19th June 2017, 05:04 PM   #93309
wayne is offline wayne  United States
In the hills
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I was amused when a friend went to a special clinic in another state for a new outpatient knee repair procedure. They told him up front the cost depends on your insurance as low as $17,000 for Medicare, but if you were paying yourself it was $50,000.
This is part of what is broken and no party is addressing this. Like the cost of a cat scan varies. If the cost of an oil change varied ten to one people would probably care more.
Old 19th June 2017, 05:15 PM   #93310
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

The entangled regulatory/reimbursement nature of US healthcare is beyond ridiculous, which is why you get cost schedules like that. Sigh, short of a nuclear bomb dropped on the entire system, I struggle to see a good way towards cost containment. This is quickly becoming political, though, so I'll cut myself off here.

Also, I heard a full blown advertisement for testosterone therapy from a "men's health" clinic on the radio at the gym this morning. It upsets me so much to know that medical advertising to the public at large is legal in this country. It's patently negligent--I'll stop there.

Hide this!Advertise here!