John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 905 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2011, 03:28 PM   #9041
diyAudio Member

Stocastic resonance is somewhat related to dither. Nerve synapses are threshold related and therefore at the lowest level a non-linear system in a sense having an "lsb".
Old 21st January 2011, 03:49 PM   #9042
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
There was an interesting workshop at the AES on why audible diferences that can be heard 'sighted' often disappear when switching to 'blind' testing.
I will not bore you with all the details (the full writeup will be in my AES report for audioXpress) but there's one point of interest.

Neurological research has shown that when you drink, say, classic coke, the SAME brain perception areas are active, in the same way, as when you drink zero coke but EXPECT to drink classic coke. Called "neurological modulation" of the perception. So far nothing new, we all know about these things.

BUT, what is interesting is that it is not a matter of fooling yourself or deluding yourself, no, you actually perceive that SAME taste as if you were drinking classic, even if in reality you drink zero!

If we port this to audio, and someone reports that with, say, bybees he perceives, say a 'blacker background', he actually does! Even if physically, objectively, there is NO change whatsoever to the sound.

Going even further, that means that buying snake oil actually can give you a perceptible improvement and therefor is money well spend, even if there is NO physical effect on the sound as such.
Interesting, ain't it?

jan didden
1. I hear the differences even when not seeing and not knowing what is being hooked.
2. Many times I heard very expansive sound systems, highly praised by many users and reviews, which I didn't like at all.
Old 21st January 2011, 04:03 PM   #9043
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnferrier View Post
Who really has a copy of the Great Oxford Dictionary ?
Are you calling me a liar?

se

Last edited by Steve Eddy; 21st January 2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 21st January 2011, 04:08 PM   #9044
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
1. I hear the differences even when not seeing and not knowing what is being hooked.
2. Many times I heard very expansive sound systems, highly praised by many users and reviews, which I didn't like at all.
Joshua, I don't want to sound harsh, but you are on record not even to accept the existence of perception. Your remarks make clear that you don't understand the issues. Fine with me, but why not get up to speed on the subject? I doubt that you find satisfaction in thinking you are not accepted or understood, (which is not the case).

jan didden
Old 21st January 2011, 04:10 PM   #9045
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Joshua, I don't want to sound harsh, but you are on record not even to accept the existence of perception. Your remarks make clear that you don't understand the issues. Fine with me, but why not get up to speed on the subject? I doubt that you find satisfaction in thinking you are not accepted or understood, (which is not the case).

jan didden
What you say here ignores what I wrote: I hear differences on blind comparison.
Old 21st January 2011, 04:12 PM   #9046
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnferrier View Post
Who really has a copy of the Great Oxford Dictionary ?
We do, but we're word geeks.
Old 21st January 2011, 04:13 PM   #9047
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
What you say here ignores what I wrote: I hear differences on blind comparison.
So did I. And?

jan didden
Old 21st January 2011, 04:31 PM   #9048
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
We do, but we're word geeks.
Is "The Great Oxford Dictionary" a US only publication? I ask as it does not seem to be mentioned on the OUP website thus appearing to be unavailable here in the UK! The multi-volume most extended of the Oxford English dictionaries is simply called "The Oxford English Dictionary". All of the smaller versions contain these words in the title along with a qualifying term such as "Shorter", "Pocket" etc.

Incidentally I have had to add the word "geeks" (in the quoted text) to the spellcheck dictionary on this site! AND also the term "spellcheck".
Old 21st January 2011, 04:43 PM   #9049
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
Is "The Great Oxford Dictionary" a US only publication?
I think johnferrier simply meant to say "the great Oxford English Dictionary."

Quote:
I ask as it does not seem to be mentioned on the OUP website thus appearing to be unavailable here in the UK! The multi-volume most extended of the Oxford English dictionaries is simply called "The Oxford English Dictionary". All of the smaller versions contain these words in the title along with a qualifying term such as "Shorter", "Pocket" etc.
What I have is "The Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary" published by OUP. It's the complete dictionary published micrographically with four pages of the complete dictionary printed per page in the compact edition.

I bought it a little over 20 years ago.

Click the image to open in full size.

se
Old 21st January 2011, 04:51 PM   #9050
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
I think johnferrier simply meant to say "the great Oxford English Dictionary."
Actually, I read an article a while back written by someone affiliated with the dictionary which "they" to refer to as G O D.

Hide this!Advertise here!