John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 891 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2011, 03:37 PM   #8901
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundminded View Post
Oh were you bring funny? Sorry I missed it. My loss. One less chuckle for the day than I could have enjoyed.

touche!

It also shows why any attempt to reproduce concert hall acousitcs using the capture/store/retrieve/reproduce strategy is doomed to fail no matter how many recording playback channels are used.
I presume this means that anything already captured is hopelessly lost.
Old 18th January 2011, 04:06 PM   #8902
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I presume this means that anything already captured is hopelessly lost.
The characteristic parameters of the acoustics where the recording was made are irretrievably lost. However, an acoustic space suitable for the type of music performed can usually be reconstructed from what remains available. It just won't be exactly the same space. At best, similar.

I should point out that acoustics of place are not constant. Not only do they vary with conditons of state, they also vary with how many people are in the audience, where they are seated, what kind of clothing they are wearing. This is well known and can be easily seen from measured data for concert halls given when they are empty and filled. There can be substantial changes in parameters. The precise field the listener experiences will also depend on where in the audience he is seated.
Old 18th January 2011, 04:08 PM   #8903
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Soundminded, so if I read your post correctly, you have a better way of reproducing sound and evidence/analysis that other approaches are inferior. But these methods are neither published nor available for demonstration, peer review, or replication, so we are to take this on faith.

Is this correct?
Yes that's right....if you consider a United States Patent in the public domain unpublished.
Old 18th January 2011, 04:11 PM   #8904
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Besides no cite to the patent (there's about 8 million to choose from), you said, "Only enough of the model was revealed to obtain the patent." So, it remains, you're making extravagant claims and not doing anything whatever to back them up.

I'm having a hard time taking you seriously, and I'm not exactly notorious for belief in woo-woo in audio.
Old 18th January 2011, 04:16 PM   #8905
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You fellows are way behind the times.
Back in the 1980s Yamaha engineers went around to many famous concert halls and churches to record the acoustics. They stuck all those acoustics onto a microchip and into a box. You can call them up with a push of the remote control button.

I have one of these boxes.
Old 18th January 2011, 04:22 PM   #8906
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Besides no cite to the patent (there's about 8 million to choose from), you said, "Only enough of the model was revealed to obtain the patent." So, it remains, you're making extravagant claims and not doing anything whatever to back them up.

I'm having a hard time taking you seriously, and I'm not exactly notorious for belief in woo-woo in audio.

Perhaps I'll be coy the way Curl is with his wire measurements.
Old 18th January 2011, 04:25 PM   #8907
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Back in the 1980s Yamaha engineers went around to many famous concert halls and churches to record the acoustics. They stuck all those acoustics onto a microchip and into a box. You can call them up with a push of the remote control button.

Which one?
Old 18th January 2011, 04:27 PM   #8908
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post

Does it have a moshpit setting?
Old 18th January 2011, 04:37 PM   #8909
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Perhaps I'll be coy the way Curl is with his wire measurements.
And you'll be taken equally seriously. Actually, much less seriously, since John provided his spectra and test setup as well as allowed in a skeptical observer. He's probably wrong, but he's openly and honestly wrong.

When you're ready to contribute and move beyond trolling, I'll be most interested in a serious discussion. Until that point, I really don't think that anything you post is worth a response from anyone.
Old 18th January 2011, 04:51 PM   #8910
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Which one?
The good old Yamaha DSP-1.

(FWIW, it sounds like a Yamaha)

Hide this!Advertise here!