John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Sy,

Ahhh, this is interesting. So if I add more noise to my Phonostage it will increase resolution?

Patently NOT. Please stop making categorical statements that lack qualification and are patently false.

Adding dither adds noise. Full Stop.

It degrades Signal/Noise Ratio and results in a reduction of ENOB (effective number of bits), so clearly it CANNOT improve resolution by itself any more than adding noise to an analogue system will improve the "resolution" (we used call this the SNR, FWIW, in the olden analogue days).

Now if use dither and massive averaging we MAY produce the apparency of an increase resolution that is in fact a measurement artefact. FOr each individual sample accuracy is reduced.

Now some theorise that the human hearing includes such averaging mechanisms. I do know some well known Mastering engineers that used to be proponents of using dither when reducing the bitrate, who have reversed their position and not state that simple truncation is preferable, which would argue against such. I have no opinion for this matter, there is insufficient evidence to postulate such seriously. No credible large scale listening tests have been performed.

So I think stating that dither improves resolution, even in a purely subjective sense (we have already dealt with the objective side) is not something I would expect.

It is complete and utter bunkum!

Ciao T

I think dither was raised over the last few pages not as a method to increase resolution for audio signals, but as a technique for improving measuring instrument resolution (along with suitable post signal processing). I think the dither discussion has drifted off track or been misinterpreted if people are suggesting it is a valid technique for standard audio signals.

Last edited:
Sy,

I'll apologize for calling you a liar yet again.

Don't apologise. I do not mind personal attacks at all. Moderators might, but I ain't one. I always enjoy when people are letting their real intentions speak...

When you find me saying that dither increases SNR as you falsely attribute to me

Well, let me posit what the ubiquitous and easily available resource called wikipedia has to say first:

Wikipedia.org said:
DAC performance
  • Resolution:

This is the number of possible output levels the DAC is designed to reproduce. This is usually stated as the number of bits it uses, which is the base two logarithm of the number of levels. For instance a 1 bit DAC is designed to reproduce 2 (2^1) levels while an 8 bit DAC is designed for 256 (2^8) levels. Resolution is related to the effective number of bits (ENOB) which is a measurement of the actual resolution attained by the DAC.

Wikipedia.org said:
Effective Number of Bits (ENOB)

Effective Number of Bits (ENOB) is a measure of the quality of a digitised signal. The resolution of a digital-to-analog or analog-to-digital converter (DAC or ADC) is commonly specified by the number of bits used to represent the analog value, in principle giving 2N signal levels for an N bit signal. However, all real signals contain a certain amount of noise. If the converter is able to represent signal levels below the system noise floor, the lower bits of the digitised signal only represent system noise and do not contain useful information. ENOB specifies the number of bits in the digitised signal above the noise floor. Often ENOB is used as a quality measure also for other blocks like Sample and Hold amplifiers. This way also analog blocks can be easily included to signal-chain calculations as the total ENOB of a chain of blocks is usually below the ENOB of the worst block.

Now allow me to again quote Sy from post #14111:

Yes, dither adds to the noise (it IS noise!) BUT it increases resolution.

Based on the above it is clear that Sy claims that in fact that adding noise increases ENOB. There is no false attribution, nothing added.

And I object to the thesis that an increase in noisefloor improves ENOB. In fact, I would argue that it observably dis-improves ENOB.

So, if I am being called a Liar for pointing such a fundamental inconsistency in the statement, so be it. The Catholic church called Galileo a heretic liar for pointing out a similar issue of inconsistencies in public statements, not that I am comparing myself to Galileo.

If you think quantization distortion is "hidden distortion" then you truly have no understanding whatever of digital systems. I don't believe that's true, so I'll assume you just want to argue for argument's sake, which does not interest me.

Quantization Distortion is well understood. In an ideal digital system it has a fixed value, due to the limited number of values available (+/- 0.5 LSB).

The minimum dither that can be used to reduce this distortion is greater in impact on ENOB than Quantization Distortion itself.

So you clearly postulate something else, or your understanding of dither and quantization distortion is not quite what you make it out to be.

Past that, I do not care what you believe, but if you make statements of fact that are not supported by either commonly accessible facts OR evidence presented by you I fear that such an idea must be put to suitable scrutiny, must be evaluated and if it turns out to be snakeoil or bunkum, this must made clear as well.

If you have any evidence to support your beliefs you are welcome to present them and I shall be first to apologise for being wrong in my understanding of the matter. However, huffy statements and refusal to engage in dialogue and to clear up things do not support your position in the least.

Ciao T

Based on the above it is clear that Sy claims that in fact that adding noise increases ENOB.

Except I didn't.

Tell you what, since it repeats with dreary regularity, every time you do the usual game of attributing things to me that I never said (the English word for that is "lying"), then demanding I defend them, I'll just recall the old joke about the Comedian's Club and just say, "31."

Hi,

Homepage of Alexey Lukin

exagerated examples of what dither does for human perception of digital audio exsample files with various truncation/rounding/dither is used with 12 bit resolution so "anyone" can hear the effect of "below the noise floor resolution"

This is interesting, but there are several unsupported claims on this page that attempt to spread FUD. Why not post 20 Bit to 16 Bit examples if "When reducing word length from 20+ bits to 16 bits, similar artifacts arise.", surely then it would be equally audible to everyone?

Further, Extrabit includes a limiter, which non of the other processors do and it is NOT stated anywhere that this limiter was bypassed.

I would suggest instead that anyone who wants to hear what truncation sounds like and what dither sounds like simply downloads a 24 or 20 Bit Musictrade release (FLAC) of Doc & Lena (this has a lot of good, acoustic piano) and then applies both straight truncation and dithering to 16 bit without sample rate conversion.

Further, it still leaves the: "dither degrades resolution quantified by standard established methods observation" unanswered.

Ciao T

The main problem of undithered signal is a correlation between the quantization noise and the signal. This depends upon the ratio of the sampling frequency to the input frequency. If this ratio is integer, like 32, we get a lot of spurious spectral lines. This is improved by dither. BUT, I am not saying (and never did) that the dither improves resolution. No! It does not. It only improves SFDR at expense of added noise.

Sy,

Except I didn't.

We are going around this again.

You said:

"Yes, dither adds to the noise (it IS noise!) BUT it increases resolution."

As resolution is stated commonly in ENOB and dither degrades ENOB you statement is false.

There is no lie involved or attribution.

If you desired to express something else that what you typed, you could have clarified.

As it stands to claim that increasing noise increases resolution can only be regarded as a most extraordinary claim.

Tell you what, since it repeats with dreary regularity, every time you do the usual game of attributing things to me that I never said (the English word for that is "lying"), then demanding I defend them, I'll just recall the old joke about the Comedian's Club and just say, "31."

If what I attributed to you was not what you typed, then who did type?

Otherwise, in English and USA politics we find often that politicians make claims of not having said something that they in fact did say, of not having done what they in fact did do and of claiming in fact things for themselves that they never actually have done...

Do remind me what we do call that?

My English vocabulary seems to leave me a little short...

Ciao T

The main problem of undithered signal is a correlation between the quantization noise and the signal. This depends upon the ratio of the sampling frequency to the input frequency. If this ratio is integer, like 32, we get a lot of spurious spectral lines. This is improved by dither. BUT, I am not saying (and never did) that the dither improves resolution. No! It does not. It only improves SFDR at expense of added noise.

Only if noise shaping is applied?

Hi,

The main problem of undithered signal is a correlation between the quantization noise and the signal. This depends upon the ratio of the sampling frequency to the input frequency. If this ratio is integer, like 32, we get a lot of spurious spectral lines.

True. However we need to consider if use a steady state signal, or music. Music has a constantly changing amplitude/frequency content.

To test how much of a problem this is and how much dither improves the situation I would suggest that noiseloading may be a much better test.

This is improved by dither. BUT, I am not saying (and never did) that the dither improves resolution. No! It does not. It only improves SFDR at expense of added noise.

This we completely agree upon.

So we trade an increase in noise across the board (lest we apply noise shaping, which has other potential issues and challenges) for a reduction of spuriae mainly at a few spot frequencies, which have clearly high measured visibility, but who'se actual excitement with the intended signal (music/speech) and the resultant audibility is highly debatable.

In terms of classic definitions the improved SFDR is one measure that must be compared to the reduction in SNR/ENOB. Listening tests would be needed to decide.

Also, something to not forget, analogue sources (microphones, tape machines etc.) have considerable noise of their own, interestingly in the case of condensor microphones and tape machines we find this noise is actually usually approximating "red noise" and for a long time it has been argued that such noise counteracts the problems of quantisation noise especially well, note all this is anecdotal and there is little documented evidence.

However, this is, as they say, a whole other kettle of fish...

Ciao T

Hi,

Only if noise shaping is applied?

Remember, noise-shaping redistributes the noise-density towards areas of the audio spectrum where it is thought to be less audible (remember your own note on audibility earlier), the net amount must be equal.

So you normally end up with a lot of noise at very top end of the Audio Spectrum, where having a lot of extra noisefloor has implications, especially for those who insist on using NE5532/34 and TL072 et al in DAC analogue stages, but much less for those who prefer to use AD811 or LM6171/6181 et al or even tubes...

DSD/SACD is notable for what is probably the most aggressive use of noiseshaping, the Lipshitz/Vanderkoy paper on DSD is quite amusing.

Ciao T

Please check the reference I gave and tell me the same thing about Bob Katz. This is old and well-known stuff, and two minutes of Googling will turn up thousands of references.

If you conflate and redefine terms and measures, come to what appears to be an incorrect conclusion, and say, "That's my view of it," that's at least honest. I may disagree with it and point out the flaws, but it doesn't reflect on your integrity and honesty, it just means one of us is not understanding the other, and we can proceed to have a reasonable discussion. When you instead attribute the results of an erroneous argument to me, then I have no other word for it. That mode of argument is disgusting and, IMO, immoral. I will not engage you on that basis other than to say 31.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sy,

We are going around this again.

You said:

"Yes, dither adds to the noise (it IS noise!) BUT it increases resolution."

yes that is what SY said. and that is ALL he said.

As resolution is stated commonly in ENOB and dither degrades ENOB you statement is false.

There is no lie involved or attribution.
You extrapolated what SY said and then attributed to him something that he had not actually said, ie

Based on the above it is clear that Sy claims that in fact that adding noise increases ENOB. There is no false attribution, nothing added.

:cop: I'm going to ask that this pointless argument stop here.

edit: feel free to discus the phenomenon and what dither does/does not do, just drop the "he said, so therefore meant" crap

Tony.

Last edited:
Hither be Dither

Yes, probably. The dither improves SFDR (spurious free dynamic range), and this is IMO THE reason why it audibly helps.

Well said, Pavel. It is obvious that the addition of dither raises the noise floor relative to all bits off. Dither is merely a means to subjectively improve the sound quality when the level is low enough that the distortion correlated with the audio signal due to the lowest bit(s) turning on and off is masked by a more stochastic distribution of energy. There are as many different noise shaping schemes for the added dither as there are manufacturers, for this reason; the preference for the spectral shaping of the added dither is subjective.

What is less obvious by thought, but not by ear, is that our sensory apparatus and hear significantly below the single number published S/N specification. Tests I ran years ago with another non-linear media (cassettes) showed that when an A-weighted meter showed 70dB S/N, a trained listener could pick out single tones as much as 30dB or more below this. The reason is obvious: noise consists of a random sequence of impulses at different frequencies, but not all at the same time. Therefor in a narrow-band analysis centered around the tone, the actual energy level relative to a steady-state signal is much lower than a single number integrating wide-band energy.

What this has to do with dither: The dynamic range specification of a digital system is expressed by a single number, as is the added dither. Neither specification describes the actual sound of low-level audio residing in the lowest bit(s). When one choses a dithering scheme, you don't do it by a number, you choose it for the affect on the sound of the audio in the lowest bits. And as Pavel pointed out, the sound of proper dithering contains less spurious components correlated to the audio than does the same audio without the dither. Does it contain more noise? Sure. Will measurement systems show more noise? Yes. Can you perceive low level music more clearly with it? Yes. A spectral analysis of the music with added dither can show the noise obscuring the low-level audio, however human hearing can often pick it out of the noise.

I apologize for wordiness as usual, YMMV

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org
1st on the internet

Hi Simon,

I would suggest that a high impedance load is the opposite of what you would want to show anything like "micro diodes", or similar effects that are essentially rectification related.

One needs to construct a test that is appropriate to show (maximise the visibility?) of the effect we theorise about.

I would suggest that high source impedance and appreciable loading would more likely demonstrate problems in at least this domain.

You even hinted at the core of this, when you quipped that you never saw anyone ping a condensor mike to overcome bad contacts at the capsule... There are reasons for that.

Ciao T

The experiment was a 100 ohm or so source into a soldered in copper band loaded by about 100K. The distortion was measured, the copper band was heated to orange hot with a torch and allowed to cool with the surface now coated by nice oxides. While heated the distortion rose when cooled the distortion returned to the base level. Since there was absolutely no change under extreme "micro diode" generation, it seems unlikely that even a lower load impedance would have much effect. Also keep in mind we are looking at a level within a few db of the noise floor of 100 ohms at 1/2 of an octave centered around 2.3khz.

For those unfamiliar with the color heat scale it goes from red to orange to yellow to white. Copper melts around yellow.

P.S. Even if it hasn't made it to red... don't touch it!

Status
Not open for further replies.