John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the "single empirical event" is observed rigorously, I strongly disagree.

As something like a perfect test does not exist results will always be questionable.
It starts with the level of significance required.

And normal scientific practice would require sucessful replication of the experiment by other groups, which is of course a bit more difficult compared to other fields as we need a human detector.

Charles introduced me Myrtle wood blocks years ago.......was I skeptical at first, yes, but he was correct. Wood has been used for ages in vibration control, I recall a factory that used huge blocks of Balsa wood under heavy machines to reduce vibration and they had found that it worked better than any other damping material (according to traditional engineering standards) they had tried.

The point being, that does wood work better all the time? The answer is no but for me it does most of the time.

I have never know Charles to make a statement without some level of experimentation first which is more than I can say for some here.
If he can't explain some of his observations is he wrong? No there are many things happening in nature that can't............yet.

Don't be so quick to rush to judgement......you will be missing a whole lot of useful information.

Jam

As something like a perfect test does not exist results will always be questionable.
It starts with the level of significance required.

And normal scientific practice would require sucessful replication of the experiment by other groups, which is of course a bit more difficult compared to other fields as we need a human detector.

I'm sorry, I think this is profoundly wrong. Replicability is true for a limited number of things, but there are many things for which it's not.

No. I mean wood bricks between 2 instruments. Once I had a customer who complained for slight hum in speakers. The reason was large power transformer's magnetic field that induced hum voltage in the preamp circuits. The whole issue was solved by putting preamplifier 10cm above power amplifier, rather than directly on its top. Just a place for a couple of nice wood bricks ;)

Last edited:
I'd have to agree. There's been enough info in the various BT threads (though it's well buried in the noise) for someone to duplicate the circuits pretty closely if they know enough to connect the dots.

And what happens if they are not skilled enough to know ??

Sounds like a game or a treasure hunt with a clue here and a clue there. Why not go the next step and present a basic design to beginners here. Why all of the subterfuge ??

regards
Trevor

I'm sorry, I think this is profoundly wrong. Replicability is true for a limited number of things, but there are many things for which it's not.

I see, it´s a problem of my wording; replication means something different then repetition.

If replicability is needed would indeed be dependent on the test objectives, while repetition is part of the standard set of requirements on a good test.

high rise buildings/hotels will usually have concrete poured over corregated steel decking floors - concrete is somewhat conductive - certainly enough to add to AC leakage currents with power cords in close proximity

I have had to improvise "cable lifters" in several engineering measurement applications

one was a 20KHz complex impedance measurement instrument for fluid conductivity - on the megaohm range the prototype's unshielded twisted pair wiring laying on a particle board/linoleum lab bench gave variable and low readings - put the wire, resistance box test load on 4" polyethylene foam blocks and I could get reproducible readings (also had to search out the noninductive cal boxes some were useless for AC, for the megaohm tests I used resistor strings and alligator clip "switching" - even the "good" cal boxes weren't adequate at 20KHz)

in another instance strain gage transducer cable with twisted pairs, overall braid which performed well in every other situation gave large 60 Hz noise on a concrete slab machine shop floor - lifting the cable off the concrete floor dropped the noise by >20 dB

those instances aside - I do believe loudspeaker cable lifters in a domestic environment are pretty silly given source/cable/load impedances - although it is amusing to an engineer that the lowest tier of "Audiophile" cables (Monster) are not twisted (nearly no added cost), "common centroid" 3-wire or star quad configuration but do tout "linear polyethylene dielectric"

but a "proximity" effect with the power line cord??

No. I mean wood bricks between 2 instruments. Once I had a customer who complained for slight hum in speakers. The reason was large power transformer's magnetic field that induced hum voltage in the preamp circuits. The whole issue was solved by putting preamplifier 10cm above power amplifier, rather than directly on its top. Just a place for a couple of nice wood bricks ;)

In this case it was not the wood that was relevant , but the distance created. The trafo should of been shielded , an obvious oversight.

In many so called "pro" amps , just a bare trafo. In the new Krells (below) , parasound , even my mid-fi Nikko - a steel circular "vessel" for the toriod.

OS

Attachments

• s300i-3_fs (1).jpg
    s300i-3_fs (1).jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 319
Speculating about the wood blocks. Many materials used for flooring can build up a static charge. Wood has good damping,but is also an insulator, perhaps separating the jacket of the cable from a static charge on the floor think carpet in winter for an extreme example is making a difference?

Ok, but what difference exactly?

Follow it through. What would the effect be that would get past the main power supply, any voltage regulators, and the circuit's own power supply rejection?

Keeping in mind that in most power supplies, the power cord's not even in the circuit the majority of the time.

se

Ok, but what difference exactly?

Follow it through. What would the effect be that would get past the main power supply, any voltage regulators, and the circuit's own power supply rejection?

Keeping in mind that in most power supplies, the power cord's not even in the circuit the majority of the time.

se

Insulator for cable a cap? Just speculating.

Well Scott, that is the difference between you and Charles. Charles works into the night to get HIS listening set-up as perfect as possible. You, on the other hand, would just get it working. After all, a CES show is not the best place for excellent hi fi reproduction, and the AC is full of RFI. Of course, it also shows what we can do to reduce RFI and AC contamination with our Bybee devices, 10uf caps across the power line, and active AC line cleanup.

Hi Scott, Simon,

Really?
You know, I feel right at home in those amps.

Then don't forget that Bob has a couple designs that are unlike the others he has worked on. But in no way should you feel they are scary.
-Chris

Lets talk about the "Magnetic Field" amplifier. He placed a light dimmer in front of the power transformer set to trigger at the peak of the AC cycle. That effectively put 120 hz into the transformer instead of 60. Allowed for reducing the core size by half. Of course it wrecked havoc on everybody elses' power line. Actually got legislation passed in many places prohibiting the technique. Of course when the dimmer went out of spec there were a few fires.

How about "Sonic Holography?"

The guy used to come to town because his wife was from here. Met him, I can understand Nelson's theory of the amplifier test. An hour was my limit for this noteworthy designer. Clever circuits yes, good circuits no.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.