John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 589 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2010, 05:26 AM   #5881
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

At one time in this thread or the previous incarnation of it, I mentioned that Dave Reich of Classe used to measure off his solder so that each solder joint had precisely the same amount of solder in it.

Look at the images in this thread. Yes..it appears he did indeed do that exact thing.

pre amp balance

The only real reason in my mind, that I can think of, is that he heard a difference, if it was not exactly so.
Old 27th August 2010, 05:40 AM   #5882
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Aliasing dirt sounds no good so it has to be removed even at the expense of bandwidth reduction.
Inter-channel capacity for micro level phase differential (or timing/temporal) is all that really counts and even a 15khz rolled off stereo tube amp can achieve nearly light-speed freqs in that respect. It can split hairs better than any digital recording system in existence or on any drawing board.
Old 27th August 2010, 02:49 PM   #5883
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
The potential of the Sony tuner is great as a source if its output analog limitations can be overcome. The real disappointment is the lack of a digital output since the internal processing is all digital.
That's an interesting idea. Has anybody considered what it would take to splice a AES/EBU and/or S/PDIF transmitter in place of the DAC?
Old 27th August 2010, 04:14 PM   #5884
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I like the hat and the outfit... the chair is not bad either...
wonder how he pays for his needs and things like transportation?? The hat seems warm...

Obviously no hi-fi system for him

_-_-bear
Old 27th August 2010, 06:59 PM   #5885
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post

Obviously no hi-fi system for him

_-_-bear
Old 27th August 2010, 09:24 PM   #5886
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Schematic for the FM tuner is here Sony XDR-F1HD Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics

There is an I2S output from the chipset but its unclear at first glance if it can be used directly. Pins 15,15 and 17 of IDM1 are the signals in question.
Old 27th August 2010, 09:36 PM   #5887
diyAudio Member

That might be an option for some. I would just be happy with a better filtered and non-ceramic cap output stage. At this stage, without improvement, the tuner has limited interest, subjectively, and I tend to ignore it, even when it is in my system.
Old 27th August 2010, 10:53 PM   #5888
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
Schematic for the FM tuner is here Sony XDR-F1HD Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics

There is an I2S output from the chipset but its unclear at first glance if it can be used directly. Pins 15,15 and 17 of IDM1 are the signals in question.
I think pin 25 of the TUX-DSP01 labeled I2S_Out would be where you'd take the digital output. Is that right? It's not connected to anything.

Will my Benchmark read the digital I2S format at it's coax digital input? Or does it need to be converted to S/PDIF format?

I would be interested in adding a digital output to this, if it's not too involved. but I'm still going to do the analog output mod too, and see how that sounds.
Old 27th August 2010, 10:56 PM   #5889
diyAudio Member

Opps, I meant pin 24.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:37 PM   #5890
diyAudio Member

I2S has usually the left and right channels seperate and a seperate clock so it has three independent signals. I am really surprised that a tuner has an output like that.
S/PDIF has all three signals in one chain of inforamtion so i think it is not directly compatible.

Hide this!Advertise here!