John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 587 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2010, 03:55 AM   #5861
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

" . . . Inherently bad dynamics and bad resolution. It may sound "pleasant", but nothing more. It is just impossible to get enough dynamic range . . . "

Could be said about another popular format. You know, the big black one that spins at 33rpm.

;-0
Old 26th August 2010, 04:21 AM   #5862
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Perhaps FM isn't perfect, but neither is vinyl, Tape or digital. However they all benefit from attention and can sound quite good. The potential of the Sony tuner is great as a source if its output analog limitations can be overcome. The real disappointment is the lack of a digital output since the internal processing is all digital. Figuring that out would open a raft of possibilities. Per Brian's measurements Sony XDR-F1HD the deemphasis isn't right somewhere. That is a common problem. (All of the FM transmitter chips are preset to 50 uS for Europe and there are real market limits on them in that market, BUT the US (75 uS) products are all shipped set to 50 uS.) Get the basics right and then address the subtleties.
Old 26th August 2010, 06:28 AM   #5863
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
Design engineer, consultant
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
" . . . Inherently bad dynamics and bad resolution. It may sound "pleasant", but nothing more. It is just impossible to get enough dynamic range . . . "

Could be said about another popular format. You know, the big black one that spins at 33rpm.

;-0
And one can easily hear it, even with highest price turntable.
Old 26th August 2010, 10:28 AM   #5864
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
BUT the US (75 uS) products are all shipped set to 50 uS.) Get the basics right and then address the subtleties.
both my UK manufactured FM receivers (Sugden & Quad) came with the switchable de-emphasis set to 50us. Both can be switched to 75us for those transmissions that need it.

Here in the UK we convert the analogue signal to companded 14bit that gets transmitted around the country to be converted back to analogue at the transmitter. Quality is superb when the sound engineers want it to be.
Old 26th August 2010, 11:56 AM   #5865
diyAudio Member

PMA,

if you exclude FM and LP just what "high end" sources are left?

sp
Old 26th August 2010, 06:14 PM   #5866
diyAudio Member

Well, I hear what I hear, and dynamic range is not a big issue with me. Signal processing is however, and often even a good musical selection gets modified to where I would rather not listen to it. Digital does this a lot. Analog sometimes.
Old 26th August 2010, 07:05 PM   #5867
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've got a problem with the whole dang thing.

In the point or context that: signal itself is a pure plasma function and upon encountering any solid, the signal ends up with a complex LCR function, within the moment it undergoes delta. Which in finality stresses the obviousness of gyroscopic/toroidal (a dual in/out in balance) nature of both signal plasma and 'matter' itself.

Half of what we hear in these electrical systems hinges on these aspects.
Old 26th August 2010, 07:24 PM   #5868
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBK View Post
signal itself is a pure plasma function and upon encountering any solid, the signal ends up with a complex LCR function, within the moment it undergoes delta. Which in finality stresses the obviousness of gyroscopic/toroidal (a dual in/out in balance) nature of both signal plasma and 'matter' itself.
However, an eleven dimensional theory of supergravity, which is supersymmetry combined with gravity. The eleven-dimensional spacetime was to be compactified on a small 7-dimensional sphere, for example, leaving four spacetime dimensions visible to observers at large distances.

I think you undercompactified your understanding, duality relations between superstring theories relate very different theories, equate large distance with small distance, and exchange strong coupling with weak coupling. So there must be some duality relation that can explain how a superstring theory that requires ten spacetime dimensions for quantum consistency can really be a theory in eleven spacetime dimensions after all.

So what you are hearing really is your past in the sense that it co-constitutes your experiences. However, to say that one is only one's past would be to ignore a large part of reality (the present and the future) while saying that one's past is only what one was in a way that would entirely detach it from them now.

However I prefer to deal with the here and now reality I exist in and the above goes nowhere. Lets get back to improving the experiences we have access to, rather than an imagined, better than reality, universe we will forever be frustrated by.
Old 26th August 2010, 07:28 PM   #5869
diyAudio Member

This is what Osho has to say about it.YouTube - OSHO: For Thirty-two Years I Have Been Absolutely Nothing
Old 26th August 2010, 07:35 PM   #5870
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Even if one wishes to specifically remain solely in the engineering aspect, then some perfunctory acceptance and knowledge of the point mentioned is what can carry one forward into producing 'better sounding' equipment.

Some form of acknowledgment of the point is critical to high end. Every time one looks a component and how it integrates with the whole (finished item) or the function of the component itself, this issue is raised.

There are as many differing communications and misunderstandings as there are people to integrate.

The point is germaine to the subject of the thread, as not all taking part in it are at the simplistic point of realization that one resistor may sound different to another.

The base considerations of the 'why' are critical, with respect to moving to other stages.

Insofar as mentioning it further, I agree that beyond the basic point, it gets very muddy for most people, and the discussion is best to be an internal and individual effort -after the basic orientation as to the origins of the issue are realized.

Last edited by KBK; 26th August 2010 at 07:39 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!