John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 560 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2010, 11:47 PM   #5591
diyAudio Member

This Sony radio thing has got me interested. Thanks again for the links, that ALREADY have proven informative and educational. For example, a comment was brought up that sometimes you might want to stay in analog, and the Sony won't let you. Cut a wire, and add a cheap switch, and you have it. Also, the AUDIO output is shown. How convenient to bypass or improve! Frequency response improvements? Sure! Yet, this is serious technology, where the real engineering is beyond most of us, and is first class. Also, this starts as a very cost-effective complete system, from the get-go! This might be fun, and useful.
Old 9th August 2010, 11:47 PM   #5592
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhoyt View Post
Hi Scott,

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC FM-89.3
www.wxyc.org
1st on the internet

Don't even get me started on the HD debacle....
You're lucky, last week someone brought a show of great Hindustani devotional music that all sounded like 64K mp3. The same station in the early 80's was 100% vinyl and wonderful all tube signal path.
Old 10th August 2010, 12:37 AM   #5593
diyAudio Member

hhoyt

Your internet feed is great, what a coincidence the first thing out was some music from India. This will go on my favorites list.
Old 10th August 2010, 03:22 AM   #5594
hhoyt is offline hhoyt  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Wxyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
hhoyt

Your internet feed is great, what a coincidence the first thing out was some music from India. This will go on my favorites list.
Scott - I'm glad that what greeted you was pleasing, but please keep in mind that WXYC's free-format is ala 60s and 70s Underground FM radio, and can have it's highly challenging moments, depending on the DJ. WXYC has an excellent staff of jocks from 18 to 60 years old (including me) with a vast knowledge of music between them. One shift may be a sitar special with a jock who is himself an accomplished sitar player and be spellbinding, and the next may be a 19 year old speed metal dude. If speed metal is your thing, then you may continue to be amazed, but if not... Right now they are playing Sun Ra, who I love but who drives some orthodox jazz people nuts. If you don't mind me bragging on the station for a second, we became the first radio station in the world to stream on-line on Nov 7, 1994, we have won Rolling Stone's best college station of the year more than once (a dubious honor at times), and we do not play the normal college radio fare most of the time, much to our credit. For people who feel that life is too short to listen to the same fare over and over, WXYC can be nirvana.

Being an audio geek, I have set up WXYC so the MP3 feed is pre-broadcast limiter straight out of a PR&E (Pacific Recorders & Engineering) console with Jensen 990 opamps, into a PR&E distribution amp, and directly into MAudio fed MP3 PC. Since it is basically straight out of the board and has no limiter you may see greater than usual volume swings due to the unpredictability of the specific media level, or if the DJ is asleep at the board...on the other hand the fidelity can be quite good (for 128KB/S MP3). I auditioned Blade, Fraunhofer and Lame MP3 encoders before settling on DarkIce using the Fraunhofer codec running on a Linux box at 128KB/S. We are currently negotiating with our ISP (The University of North Carolina IT department) to host a higher bit-rate MP3 stream (192-256k) for audio geeks like us. I have an experimental stream running right now at 192KB/S from a Barix encoder running the Fraunhofer AAC encoder and it is noticeably better.

None of this MP3 fidelity can compare with a great source played at home in a good system, but it is a reality of the modern broadcast era that engineers like me have to deal with both HD foibles and MP3 stream optimization. The signal chain at WXYC is clean enough so especially listened to locally off-air on a great system it is pretty damn good (if I don't say so myself), way better than the MP3 stream at least.

Sorry to be so long winded on the subject, but high-fidelity FM broadcast signal chains has been a 25 year long obsession for me.

We now return to the Blowtorch thread, long in progress...

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC FM-89.3
www.wxyc.org
1st on the internet
Old 10th August 2010, 12:40 PM   #5595
diyAudio Member

A link to the Sony XDR-FIHD service manul file Sony XDR-F1HD Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics

You have to register first, but it's spam free allright.
Old 10th August 2010, 01:27 PM   #5596
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Guess ya missed this when I posted a few back?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IVERSON front.JPG (53.7 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg IVERSON front 2.JPG (64.5 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IVERSON inside amp.JPG (63.2 KB, 175 views)
Old 10th August 2010, 01:36 PM   #5597
diyAudio Member

Bear,

I like those square, lamp-lighted pushbuttons. Reminds me of a place I used to work, where they had the same type buttons.
Only different legends like 'Launcher", "Missile act", "Fire", and "Ripple F".

Sorry for /OT....

jd
Old 10th August 2010, 01:42 PM   #5598
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Guess ya missed this when I posted a few back?
No Mate, it WAS the amp of the 70's, and I still have a review mag where it was featured. Never even seen one, let alone heard one, but the rep it had was huge.

Regards, Allen
Old 10th August 2010, 01:44 PM   #5599
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Jan,

it is me, or do you sound like cold turkey shakes are starting to act up ?
Old 10th August 2010, 02:53 PM   #5600
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Jan,

it is me, or do you sound like cold turkey shakes are starting to act up ?
It's you.

Hide this!Advertise here!