John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 5555 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2014, 10:59 AM   #55541
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob2 View Post
No, just look at:

P. J. Duncan, P. Dodds, N. Williams 2008, Audio Capacitors. Myth or reality?, AES 124tth Convention Amsterdam.

P. Dodds, P. J. Duncan, N. Williams 2006, Assessing the effects of loudspeaker crossover components on sound quality, IOA Reproduced sound 22 Proceedings.
Different tests, different protocols, different DUTs, I can't figure out what your point is.
Old 8th August 2014, 11:02 AM   #55542
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This test shouldn't be beyond your technical capabilities.
No point in me doing it, I have already done or heard the equivalent many times - vastly more credibility if someone else tries it, and gets significant results ... after all, I thought that's how science was supposed to work ... .
Old 8th August 2014, 11:11 AM   #55543
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

On that note, I remember reading how there was a "major breakthrough" in SQ when some of the significant manufacturers discovered CD ROM drives, started using them in CD players because "they sounded better" - if a theme is truly significant, then there will be variations in all sorts of directions ...

Last edited by fas42; 8th August 2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 8th August 2014, 11:47 AM   #55544
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Monitor the supplies to see how much noise or spikes are generated, including the 0V, then you can determine whether there is a problem or not...
Or just rip your CDs to hard drive and remove the problem of reading discs....
Galvonicly isolate the final D to A section from the previous steps, problem solved until some new gremlin is imagined to ruin your listening experience...
Or drink a few cans of Carlsberg Special Brew and enjoy the music and watch the dancing pink elephants (that's what I do).

On the subject of cheap designs in Audio especially digital side, if they work there is no problem, I was equating perceived quality, price etc... The CD player in question I was going to buy myself, but found it cheaper to buy a new PC to use as my music server with all my CD's ripped to the hard drive and the music transmitted wirelessly, better option in my view. Of course now I just have to find a way of combating that digital sound (digitisis I believe you call it)....
Maybe a circuit between the DAC analogue out to the pre-amp to add some wow and flutter, the odd random click and a touch of hiss

Last edited by marce; 8th August 2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:03 PM   #55545
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
The CD player in question I was going to buy myself, but found it cheaper to buy a new PC to use as my music server with all my CD's ripped to the hard drive and the music transmitted wirelessly, better option in my view.
We found that a terabyte drive was cheaper than CD storage racks, so...
Old 8th August 2014, 12:10 PM   #55546
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Trouble is I have just moved house (!!!!) and still have my CD's in boxes so I still had to lug them up and down stairs and hide them in the attic....
Have you put a green ring round the edge of the hard drive platters though, it worked wonders for me.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:11 PM   #55547
diyAudio Moderator

I demagnetized them following cryotreatment.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:31 PM   #55548
diyAudio Member

Can you clear your inbox SY?
Old 8th August 2014, 12:36 PM   #55549
diyAudio Moderator

No. If you want to contact me, use email.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:40 PM   #55550
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kastor L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob2 View Post
P. J. Duncan, P. Dodds, N. Williams 2008, Audio Capacitors. Myth or reality?, AES 124tth Convention Amsterdam.

P. Dodds, P. J. Duncan, N. Williams 2006, Assessing the effects of loudspeaker crossover components on sound quality, IOA Reproduced sound 22 Proceedings.
Any link to the PDF's of these papers?

This thread is relevant

Capacitor Testing By ClarityCap

Keep in mind, sound-quality is not magic, it's "electro-mechanical resonance"

According to Duelund, we should coat our wires in a thin layer of cooking oil. That way, they will not "resonate", you know, the ionosphere can't protect us from everything.

Hide this!Advertise here!