John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 551 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2010, 11:32 AM   #5501
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Well, after 30 years, I just heard that 'Tusk' was disappointing in sales, with less than 1/4 the sales as much as 'Rumors'. Was I correct in my prediction? Who knows?
I don't know what equipment they were using at the time, but I always preferred the standard issue CDs over the MoFi versions, until they got there act together in the mid 90's with the gain system.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:58 PM   #5502
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnloudb View Post
I don't know what equipment they were using at the time, but I always preferred the standard issue CDs over the MoFi versions, until they got there act together in the mid 90's with the gain system.
I never liked the bass on MoFi records. Always sounded "thick" or muddy to me. Very unnatural, anyway. No matter what system I heard them on.
Old 6th August 2010, 01:17 PM   #5503
diyAudio Member

I didn't control the rest of the production at MoFi, in fact we had a problem between us that almost cost me a lawsuit. They wanted my schematics for the unit, even though I was available to repair any problems. Apparently, they were going to make more with another competitor of mine, cutting me out of it. The bass of my analog machine was the best at 30 ips of any machine at the time, to my knowledge. I made a breakthrough in equalizing the head bump(s) and extending the frequency response to 10 Hz. I could show a respectable 25Hz and 10KHz square wave with even the early machines. Only vinyl records were made in those early years, however digital was experimented with for delay, initial master recording, as in the 'Tusk' case for the final mix. I think later, Mobile Fidelity used it at an effective 2X sample rate to make an inter-master of some kind, which was possible as the record was mastered at 1/2 speed.
Old 6th August 2010, 02:17 PM   #5504
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

John,

Truthfully, I think that the reason the Tusk album did not sell as well is that the musical compositions were not as good - that is all. It would be VERY good to ferret out those 30ips masters and NOW have at them - releasing a "new" version of the album... wonder who controls and owns that tape, and if it exists...

_-_-bear
Old 6th August 2010, 02:27 PM   #5505
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I didn't control the rest of the production at MoFi, in fact we had a problem between us that almost cost me a lawsuit. They wanted my schematics for the unit, even though I was available to repair any problems.
How could you have possibly guaranteed that? I mean, **** happens. What if you were run over by some crazy old guy in a Bentley or something?

Seriously, I think that was a reasonable request.

se
Old 6th August 2010, 02:28 PM   #5506
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
John,

Truthfully, I think that the reason the Tusk album did not sell as well is that the musical compositions were not as good
They tried to diversify their talents and ended up with an album bordering on new wave. No way, not gonna happen. They had finally settled in on what worked after all those years of being an unknown. Mick and John found some up and comers named Buckingham/Nicks, allowed the creative strings to be loosened from folk rock to pop and then produced two albums of similar ilk. They had to do something different or they would have faded.

Personally I like the albums before Fleetwood Mac^2 came out. Some great tunes back there.

oops, OT.
Old 6th August 2010, 02:40 PM   #5507
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I think the dropping sales were because that was the time I was doing design work for Mick Fleetwood.

Honestly, it comes as a shock to no-one that the sound of the album is largely irrelevant to sales- except that it needs to be LOUD sounding.
Old 6th August 2010, 02:48 PM   #5508
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I didn't control the rest of the production at MoFi
I have no doubt the quality of their equipment was good. I think their re-mixing is the common denominator that I didn't care for.
Old 6th August 2010, 02:49 PM   #5509
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Truthfully, I think that the reason the Tusk album did not sell as well is that the musical compositions were not as good - that is all.
I think you're right. It's not as if the mass consumer market is terribly discriminating when it comes to recording quality.

Look at Nebraska, one of Bruce Springsteen's best selling albums containing perhaps his most popular song, Born in the USA.

It was recorded on a Tascam PortaStudio (a "prosumer" four track, and at the time, cassette-based recorder) using a pair of Shure SM-57 mics.

Click the image to open in full size.

se
Old 6th August 2010, 03:02 PM   #5510
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
Look at Nebraska, one of Bruce Springsteen's best selling albums containing perhaps his most popular song, Born in the USA.
Just three years after Tusk . . .

Click the image to open in full size.

another point for se

Last edited by johnferrier; 6th August 2010 at 03:08 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!