John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 540 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2010, 09:53 AM   #5391
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnloudb View Post
Yes, the subconscious is a wonderful thing and the conscious mind can only focus on one thing at a time. From what I read, and I didn't read it word for word, they were measuring stress. They took a lot of effort to make the participants comfortable.

And like I said before, if the results are consistent and repeatable then it's a good indication that they heard the high frequency. They did it backwards and forwards, double blind, Jan.

When I spend a long periods (days) listening to only SACDs and LPs I have a difficult time going back to CDs, even very good recordings. It takes my ears time to adjust. I find them more fatiguing for whatever reason.

Surely you saw the pictures Jan.

I'm certainly no expert in reading PETs or EEGs but it sounded like they knew what they were doing.

John
Yes I think you and Jakob are right. They seem to have found a link between that HF presence and audible perception, not just brain activity. Well. What do we do now?

jd
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:22 AM   #5392
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
some things
True, the walls of soundproofed rooms in the late 70s sorta looked like the ones individuals in a straightjacket monitor.
In later years, a sound and vibration professor taught me that they're not supposed to look like that.
(this guy : http://www.shipstructure.org/pdf/78symp08.pdf)
On a good day, i can still hear the scratching sound of spider's feet walking across a table, from close distance.
Likely the reason why i keep spending silly amounts of money on silly audio gear.

Makes as much sense as staring blind at 2000dB per octave formulae. :-)
Old 3rd August 2010, 01:35 PM   #5393
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
[snip]
What is directing me to talk about this is the fact that an engineer friend of mine is giving a paper or two at the next AES. He has done his homework and measurements, but I told him last night, to not necessarily expect that he will get into the JAES. If things are what they have been over the last decades, he will be rejected. Still, it is about time that his work sees the light of day.
Of course, he is only an engineering graduate from UCB, worked at AMPEX, Sony, and many other companies and has a number of patents. Still, I have concerns.
I think that I can predict the result if I knew the subject.

jd
Old 3rd August 2010, 02:16 PM   #5394
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoch46 View Post
HI
well now I feel good, but last year my hyperacusis like a lot my turntable and not the 1541 nos or walkman , cd ,pc mp3
the TT give me the only way to ear my music....
Glad you're feeling better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman
Yes I think you and Jakob are right. They seem to have found a link between that HF presence and audible perception, not just brain activity. Well. What do we do now?
Yes, you could be right about that, but we don't really know since they didn't test the subjects hearing from what I read, unless I missed something.

Another interesting fact is that people with hyperacusis often can hear in the negative decibels on a hearing test. They often hear in the down to -7dB or below. So people can hear sounds they're more sensitive to, better.

John
Old 3rd August 2010, 02:38 PM   #5395
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnloudb View Post
Another interesting fact is that people with hyperacusis often can hear in the negative decibels on a hearing test. They often hear in the down to -7dB or below. So people can hear sounds they're more sensitive to, better.

John
Actually it is considered normal to hear -7 at midrange frequencies! This has been incorporated in a few standards!
Old 3rd August 2010, 04:41 PM   #5396
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Actually it is considered normal to hear -7 at midrange frequencies! This has been incorporated in a few standards!
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. But not many people can hear that quiet, if you trust the audiologists, and ENT's I've talked with. It usually varies between 0dB and +15 for normal hearing. What about -17dB? Well, that's what one person claimed she was tested for. Don't know how accurate that was.

I know my ability to hear quiet sounds improved in a hearing test when my sound sensitivity got worse. Hearing in the -dB range is typical of people with hyperacusis, unless they have hearing loss.
Old 3rd August 2010, 04:46 PM   #5397
Blues is offline Blues  United States
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
...(this guy : http://www.shipstructure.org/pdf/78symp08.pdf)
On a good day, i can still hear the scratching sound of spider's feet walking across a table, from close distance.
:-)
So your amps described as "Built like a battleship" still does vibrate along with your battleship loudspeakers?
Old 3rd August 2010, 05:13 PM   #5398
diyAudio Member

Simon, I just brought that up because people have a natural dislike for some sounds that the brain turns up the gain for. I think I can say these sounds often exist is reproduced music. Could be that we can hear these sounds at even lower levels than we can hear other sounds.

Sounds you dislike are annoying. But, some sounds our ears are naturally phobic to, as well. Sounds you're phobic to can hurt your ears, and a sound my ears were naturally phobic to is what initially caused my hyperacusis.

This is all theory, but it's a theory works very well in treating hyperacusis, phonophobia (fear of sounds), misophonia (dislike of sounds).
Old 3rd August 2010, 06:03 PM   #5399
diyAudio Member

>Or girlie guys. ;-)

Or girlie girls ;-)

Last edited by myhrrhleine; 3rd August 2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 3rd August 2010, 06:03 PM   #5400
diyAudio Member

Well, I'm glad that some here can hear more than MP3 or even CD. I thought it was 'proven' by jj and everyone else in academia that everything else was a waste of useful bandwidth. ;-)
I feel that it is not so much 'why' we hear, but what we hear, at least those of us who can hear differences in audio equipment.
Of course, we can be fooled, or mistaken at times, but so what? Do we have to reject everything, just to minimize some possible mistake?

Hide this!Advertise here!